Thread: A Pair of 5628's and some other gear

A Pair of 5628's and some other gear

Putting up a thread so I can let Barry (1audiohack) discuss his Sub18 experiences without my clutter

Got these two earlier this year, have put them in my basement theater setup.

They're currently sandwiched within my front 3 speakers

For the full system I have
    5732s for LCR duties
    4722n's for sides and rears
    5628 in the front (x2)
    4642A in the rear - single

The 5732's are powered by a bridged DSI 2000 on each for the bass units and a single DSI 1000 for the mid and high frequencies
    The 4722n's are powered by Emotiva XPA 1 - Gen 2's (600w monoblocks) on each so 4 of them.
    The 5628's are powered by Behringer NX6000D - one amp on each - Given the 2269's are 8 ohm it's supplying 1600w to each driver in the set.
    The 4642A was powered by a DSI 4000 - currently on my second used one, they haven't seemed to last so I think another Behringer should do the trick

To get the speakers and the subs to work well in the space - which is 16x22x9 I have about a 6db drop at 60hz with Q 2.0. There's way too much room-bloom otherwise.
    Sguttag was right though, I never got the same visceral punch from the single 4642A that I do from the pair of 5628's. The rifle shots from the Accountant during the gunfight at Lamar Blackburn's house (John Lithgow) feel like someone is physically punching the couch.

The first time I played Blade Runner 2049 at home I got quite a fright, I hadn't realized just what an opening bass line there was in the soundtrack.
    I know a lot of other forums go on about frequency depth for subwoofers so might not look at these for absolute extension, but the sheer impact of the 5628's is outstanding.

I think I might hunt for a pair of 2269's and put them in my pair of B460's switch out the 2245s I have in the lounge - they're used to augment my M2's.
    Needless to say I'm absolutely ecstatic about just how good both systems sound.

Sounds awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by RedCoat23 View Post
    To get the speakers and the subs to work well in the space - which is 16x22x9 I have about a 6db drop at 40hz with Q 2.0. There's way too much mid bass bloom otherwise.
    So 40Hz is the center of mid bass?

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Sounds awesome!

So 40Hz is the center of mid bass?

Widget
    Trust you to have a poke... I edited it now, so yours will be the only one that remembers

Even 60Hz is pretty much solidly in the bass region. To me mid-bass is north of 100Hz, and more like 150-250 Hz.

Regardless of what we call it, you may have a room mode around 60Hz, though a Q of 2 is seems to be more than a mode. I imagine the subterranean performance you've got going there is pretty stunning.

Widget

Thread Information