Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stereophille Review XPL 160

Scott,

The system we were talking about is the TAD home audio system. Here is the Model 1. They also have a smaller version with only one woofer. The drivers are not the same as the pro stuff but are equally over the top in construction.

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Regis
    Ahem.... Regarding the venerable and unbelievable PSB Stratus Gold Speakers mentioned in the review, I found a pair on Ebay selling for $700 the pair.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...771743830&rd=1

[Qoute from seller]

PBS STRATuS GOLD SPEAKERS $2699.00 new

Why not treat yourself to the best speakers you can buy for under $3000.00 at a previously owned price?

"In this three-way system, there is the same 10-inch woofer (with 40-ounce magnet!) that helped account for D. B. Keele's statement in Audio that: "Bass organ notes that had made my reference speaker stumble were handled without a whimper by the Stratus Golds."

That giant 40 oz magnet is lighter than a 7-11 Big Gulp, the L-110's I owned probably had a motor on the L-111 easily twice the size of these.

[Another qoute from seller]

There is also the same 6-inch midrange driver (with 20 ounces of magnet), crossed over from the woofer at 250 Hz, that led to the following characterization by Thomas J. Norton in his Gold re-review in March 1997 in Stereophile:

"The PSB builds on a solid foundation: a clean, uncolored midrange. Vocals were unfailingly natural — from the Fairfield Four ...blah-blah-blah..."

The LE5 has a magnet of similiar weight...
    Doesn't include $240 packing. I'm sure they're somewhat nice speakers, but at $940 shipped so far, I'd get a pair of L-7's or the L-212's over these guys (IMHO of course...)

O I C!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    Scott,

The system we were talking about is the TAD home audio system. Here is the Model 1. They also have a smaller version with only one woofer. The drivers are not the same as the pro stuff but are equally over the top in construction.

Widget
    Well, you know how I get vocal and opinionated at times! Im sure the speakers are very well made too, like their pro stuff!

scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by rgrjit8
    That was MY plan. I've got 4 200s and a single 160 to use as the center channel. But I haven't had the scratch to advance to 5.1 processing. .
    OK - here you go - a nice AVR-300 for $40 - and the seller pays shipping. He's a newbie so there's risk, but it might be worth it...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...774115964&rd=1

jblnut

rgrjit8
    Quote Originally Posted by jblnut
    OK - here you go - a nice AVR-300 for $40 - and the seller pays shipping. He's a newbie so there's risk, but it might be worth it...

jblnut
    Jeeze! You guys sure look out for your pals don't yas?

Let me restate the hold up here. It isn't so much a money problem as a wife problem. She's convinced that "demon audio" is what's preventing her from bragging about a new chariot. I have to lay low lest my particular electronic-age Carrie Nation chooses to wield her axe.
    For her birthday I bought a little Sansui AU-555A integrated to power her computer audio. (She brought it up herself!) Somehow I think I'd best hide it a while and try the flower routine instead.

Let me restate the hold up here. It isn't so much a money problem as a wife problem. She's convinced that "demon audio" is what's preventing her from bragging about a new chariot. I have to lay low lest my particular electronic-age Carrie Nation chooses to wield her axe.
    For her birthday I bought a little Sansui AU-555A integrated to power her computer audio. (She brought it up herself!) Somehow I think I'd best hide it a while and try the flower routine instead.

Buy her a nice pre-owned vehicle, then put your newly-purchased AVR in the trunk. When showing her her new car, exclaim, "Oh my gosh! What's this?" when you open the trunk.

Everyone wins.
    Out.

Let me restate the hold up here. It isn't so much a money problem as a wife problem.
    Ouch - it's all clear now....

Another avenue that has worked for some in the past - "Oops I seem to have spilled my beer into the receiver. Guess we'll have to get that fixed. Oh look, here's a better one on ebay for less than the repair cost...".

Where there's a will (or an audio addiction) there's a way ! Don't let something like a woman's aversion to small black boxes with lights get in your way .

jblnut

Regis

The ultimate...

but ugly solution to WAF is to get rid of the "W". Been there, done that x2! The disadvantage... (well, we all know the disadvantages.

The advantages. You can come home after work, fire it up, drop it in, sit down and let a pair of fine JBL's work your stress and worries away! No worrying about when the SigOther comes home freaking on the volume! No Pre-Wife-pulling-up-in-the-garage syndrome (OMG, gotta turn it down!). Yes, just let the music pour over you for hours and hours! Gotta get these L-300's running, c'mon Rick, where are those foam surrounds!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Regis
    but ugly solution to WAF is to get rid of the "W". Been there, done that x2!

Only had to do this once, but got it right the first time!
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    I always thought the XPL160 should have run a 3-inch coiled LE10H variant. Frankly I was shocked when I pulled the XPL160's out of their boxes and found a 127H variant. Good Grief!

Oh well, easily remedied in the DIY realm.

The XPL140's were fine and the XPL90's were fantastic. Shake 'em out of the boxes and fire 'em up. The XPL200's should have been running a 4-inch coiled twelve or, preferably, an LE14H variant. Also remedied in the DIY realm.
    I hate to dredge up an old thread, and frankly I waited so long for the validation of my account that I forgot exactly what I wanted to say about these fine beasts when I first found this old review, but I wanted to say that it does seem that the 140 is the "sweet spot" in the XPL line-up. I have still noticed a bit of a "boomy" character to the 8 inch driver with some amplifiers, but overall these XPL140s (originally recommended to me by a guy who bought a Sony TA-N77ES amplifier from me on Ebay some years ago) have been amongst some of the best purchases I've ever made.

I have considered upgrading to 800 Series Bowers and Wilkins (pre-owned, of course, probably 804s for their manageable size quotient and lower cost) but every time I see the prices of speakers I'm interested in, I simply can't justify how much more they'd run me versus the 4 or 500.00 I paid for the XPLs shipped from California back in '05 or '06 or whatever it was. They had already been refoamed by Orange County Speaker at that point and have been real troopers ever since. Speakers are SUCH a subjective grey area of the consumer electronics world, and when you find a dark musty corner of forgotten awesomeness like the XPL series, it's tough to take the leap to anything else that costs 5 or 6 times as much. I do think the review was put at a disadvantage by the XPL160, which seems like the least "dialed in" of the series.

Oh yeah, I looked after some Bang and Olufsen BeoLab 5s for a good while for resale, and the difference between the XPLs and the 24,000.00 Bang and Olufsens was laughably minimal.

Thread Information