Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Everything Is Getting Louder

Why Everything Is Getting Louder

Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Noise

And I thought it was my Tinnitus

The Sonar Tech in me is always dissecting background noise, and eliminating it.
    One of my Better abilities in younger years. Would hand over multiple audio sonar
    contacts, only to have them lost by new operator, only to be designated as "NEW"
    contacts later.

Always in trouble for treating my wife as background noise.

Would love to go into a "noiseless" room. They say you can hear your heart beat.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Would love to go into a "noiseless" room. They say you can hear your heart beat.

You don't hear it you feel it , there is no sound input to your ears so everything is internal. You can 'hear' your blood moving inside your head.
    I hasten to add that I am a Scottish vampire and therefore attracted to blood so anechoic chambers are a favourite nesting place for me.

Halloween is coming kids

OMG thats me at 2000 , woo hoo

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post

You don't hear it you feel it , there is no sound input to your ears so everything is internal. You can 'hear' your blood moving inside your head.
    I hasten to add that I am a Scottish vampire and therefore attracted to blood so anechoic chambers are a favourite nesting place for me.

Halloween is coming kids

OMG thats me at 2000 , woo hoo
    There was a display at the Ontario science center in Toronto in the 60's consisting of a corridor you veered into and back out of with this very feature. The abrupt silence caused panic in a lot of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigboat View Post
    And I thought it was my Tinnitus
    see the VA about the tinnitus (if you haven't yet) ..it's a compensatable condition.

I spent a lot of time with Navy helos. Have noticed in a group of cow-orkers that I will sense (hear ?) one coming long before anyone else (as did Radar O'Reilly on M*A*S*H - "wounded coming") . Always thought that I was just tuned into those frequencies, but now wondering if it's actually vibrations* that alert me

* yeah, yeah .. vibrations=sound.

Quote Originally Posted by gasfan View Post
    There was a display at the Ontario science center in Toronto in the 60's consisting of a corridor you veered into and back out of with this very feature. The abrupt silence caused panic in a lot of people.
    worked on a flight deck in a prior life ... 25 feet away from loaded jets going into full reheat to get off the deck. Hearing protector headsets worked pretty well (tho you can feel the sound in your gut) , but after they launched it was eerily quiet with them on .. now a dangerous condition in a dangerous place where you rely on sound to stay safe..

Data centers schedules

Interesting article.
    I worked in (the human side) of a new data center for quite a few years.
    Even though this was the latest, most eco-minded (and anti-terrorist) design possible (VERY interesting forest of support pilons under the server area), the chiller noise does indeed permeate the place, even though they were place on the ground on insulated pads (earthquake shock absorbers) but is nothing compared to when they fire up the phalanx of backup gennies for testing.

The comments about it being worse late at night make a lot of sense - quite a few of my projects involved threading major application upgrades through the very complex schedule of backups (email was a real headache), nightly batch file runs and other regular patch maintenance - turns out that the heaviest network/server load was always after midnight - sometimes so bad that if some batch or backup couldn't complete by 8am it would cause slow network log-ins for arriving workers in the morning.

I often wondered about the effect of long term low level noise pollution on employees working there (half of the site was office space for those caring for and feeding the servers).

Curious trade off - data centers vs. shopping centers?

I've noticed a slight decrease in traffic noise from the nearby large strip mall which is now half vacant - and wonder about the trend of turning vacated malls into fullfillment centers (or new data center buildings!).
    Very glad I'm not super sensitive to that noise (and have a super insulated home!)

Thanks for the article!

On UNscientific hearing sweeps, I can still make it to near 14khz+ , which is great
    for all the crap my ears have been subjected to.

I hear many things that the better half cannot. She just thinks I'm crazy and "just hearing things" .... well, yes I am (hearing things)

In the military or even the data centers I've worked in, there are noises that are not common in daily life .... IMHG , these may imprint on you and your sensitivity to them remains for life.

Guess that's why headphones appeal so much to me ... can virtually get away from most ungood sounds (as far as open backs will ..)

HEY PB: do you use headphones for music or have you overdosed on them

Headphones

I hear many things that the better half cannot. She just thinks I'm crazy and "just hearing things" .... well, yes I am (hearing things)

Ditto: And now with these 4311's
    Played Longer Than by Dan Folgelberg heard all
    kinds of new stuff, nice recording(plus wife gets gussy)

see the VA about the tinnitus (if you haven't yet) ..it's a compensatable condition
    Thanks to many PDC's "or" loud music
    Will check it out, under impression no relief.

yeah, yeah .. vibrations=sound
    Agree

HEY PB: do you use headphones for music or have you overdosed on them

Picture of me in the "shack" looking at you. In front of me is a guy sitting at
    the BQR7 sonar "stack" wearing a set of those grey headphones.
    85 days wearing those damn things. One over 1 ear, the other pushed back to comm. with watch. Of course back then you had to have a set of Koss Pro4 AA's
    HEAVY beast but nice.

"
    a dangerous condition in a dangerous place where you rely on sound to stay safe.."

My world. When your the "eyes and ears" of a 8000 Ton Nuke Submarine, $$$$$$$$$ of
    dollars, 128 Lives, Sound was EVERYTHING!!! 21 year old heavy responsibility.
    Grew up REAL fast.

Back to the picture. We may LOOK casual but that's because were GOOD. I probably just came off the stack. What looks like a screen in front of the guy listening is a BTR,
    Bearing Time Recorder, which is actually paper burnt by stylus. With all the lines I can tell it busy, so probably the MED. The guy I'm looking at is actually monitoring a
    BQR-20 "Black Box" at the time. Can't tell you why or what purpose, as I've been
    "Debriefed" till I'm 108
    , so would have to kill you.
    But this is cool, it's a spectrum analyzer !!! cover 20 to 20K, with a real time or waterfall display. Sittin on stack you listen to "broad band", the "20" you looked for "narrow band"
    Tones generated by machines travel farther than you can hear. Knowing "Charlie"s"
    Narrow band signature we look for that for LONG range detection.BUT if we saw a "Certain" line The pucker factor went WAY UP !!! Nough said.
    We would patch it into the mike, FART into it and watch on waterfall displayLMAO
    Whales and Dolphin make some CRAZY Displays.

2 quick stories.I personally was run over by Two contacts.

1 a "Merch" was coming straight at us. "0 AOB-0 BR", Bad sonar condition, sound is confusing, requested conn to change course, Didn't Listen. needed a "Burn Pass" on this course.
    Next thing you know, CHUG CHUG CHUG, could hear him through the hull
    Cuts our floating wire, VERY bad, all kinds of alarms going of in Radio Shack
    loss of comm. Captains phone up the passage way goes off Very BAD.

" Conn/Sonar Range to S364- 120 feet "straight up" (Smart ASS)
    (Keel Depth SOOOO +/- 60 feet top of sail)
    " Sonar conn Sonar Sup to the Conn"

Captains first stop, ME !!! To the conn, Showed him my log, RIPS the OD for not
    taking my "Advice"

Second in the MED, Coming to "PD" (periscope depth) I'm on the stack for another "Burn Pass" shooting a satellite for position info. 120 to 60+/- feet. Cleared "Baffles" everything
    great, up we go, Collision alarm 20+ down angle, SWISH SWISH SWISH, over the top
    "Sonar Conn, we are cavitating. BAD
    "Supervisor to the conn" WTF They had popped the scope up to see a British Submarine
    0 AOB !!! right in front of us. He passed over,we turned, could not hear him.
    Called a "Surface Thermolcline" first 50' gets heated and traps the sound and channels it.
    Because of this "incident", we did a Unauthorized "Ship ALT" by putting a Hydrophone in the top of the sail, patched it down to the shack. COOL Next thing you know we get
    BQR19 "Top Hat", that was my first "digital" in 1974. Leading edge, and had
    something to do with it

"In the military or even the data centers I've worked in, there are noises that are not common in daily life .... IMHG , these may imprint on you and your sensitivity to them remains for life"
    There are certain "Alarms" that trigger me. Home Depot has one that sounds just like
    the "MOSKVA's" VDS Sonar and that bitch had those damn helicopters, with dipping sonar.
    Died in a trainer because of her !!! Another one that sounds like a "Tritium" alarm,
    Bend over and kiss your ass goodbye. Still gets my attention today.

A the time thought "Sea Stories" was only for "Lifer Dogs"
    And hear listen to me

Thanks
    PS Any misspells/punctuation errors Are because of deep contempt of English Class,
    please understand and bear with me

My world. When your the "eyes and ears" of a 8000 Ton Nuke Submarine, $$$$$$$$$ of
    dollars, 128 Lives, Sound was EVERYTHING!!! 21 year old heavy responsibility.
    Grew up REAL fast.
    OK , Mr. P. Boat .... here is a USN sonarman story that you may not know.

Did a Glowing Sea Creature Help Push the U.S. Into the Vietnam War?

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...am-war/532893/

Duck

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    OK , Mr. P. Boat .... here is a USN sonarman story that you may not know.

Did a Glowing Sea Creature Help Push the U.S. Into the Vietnam War?

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...am-war/532893/
    QUACK QUACK QUACK

Biologics
    Took some turn counts on "Carpenter Fish"
    Slowly lose contact, and hope the other techs didn't notice, that
    S34 was a FISH. Never live it down!

Most fascinating phenomenon, Phosphorescence in Salt Water.
    You've seen it, right Wolf?
    Picture a dolphin coming out of the water at a distance,
    All aglow Dark, Scared as Hell, young non warriors.
    Turns into ANYTHING. Like a Torp.

1 Bad situation, felt the burn up the back of my neck from FEAR.
    Being shook awake with "There SHOOTING at US"
    Whole crew had to be debriefed. But was it what we ST's thought?
    We knew, but got blown off by brass. Classified High Speed "Trawler"
    We had the finger on the trigger. Battle stations "Torpedo" This is NOT a DRILL !!
    For a Trawler.

Plus in the end "they" were SKIMMERS(water bugs, what sub sailors call surface craft)(Or Targets)
    Sub Sailors Go Deeper/Stay Longer

Ain't SHE Pretty, Now razor blades

And Don't call me Mister, It's Petty Officer Barclay, Wasn't made a Gentleman by Act of Congress

Plus in the end "they" were SKIMMERS(water bugs, what sub sailors call surface craft)(Or Targets)
    Sub Sailors Go Deeper/Stay Longer

Ain't SHE Pretty, Now razor blades
    bet my skimmer made more razor blades
    Constellation was scrapped at Brownsville, Texas, in 2015–2017.

Displacement: 82,538 short tons
    Length: 1,088 ft (332 m) overall
    Beam: 282 ft (86 m) extreme
    Draft: 39 ft (12 m)[1]
    Propulsion: 8 boilers, 4 steam turbine engines, totaling 280,000 shp (210 MW)*
    Speed: 34 knots (63 km/h; 39 mph)
    Complement: 3,150 – Air Wing: 2,480
    Aircraft carried: 72 (approx)

*The typical American home uses about 840 kWh per month. Megawatt: One megawatt equals one million watts, or 1,000 kilowatts, roughly enough electricity for the instantaneous demand of 750 homes at once.

much better use for that thang ... powering 1,500 homes.

Yeh But

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    bet my skimmer made more razor blades
    Constellation was scrapped at Brownsville, Texas, in 2015–2017.

Displacement: 82,538 short tons
    Length: 1,088 ft (332 m) overall
    Beam: 282 ft (86 m) extreme
    Draft: 39 ft (12 m)[1]
    Propulsion: 8 boilers, 4 steam turbine engines, totaling 280,000 shp (210 MW)*
    Speed: 34 knots (63 km/h; 39 mph)
    Complement: 3,150 – Air Wing: 2,480
    Aircraft carried: 72 (approx)

*The typical American home uses about 840 kWh per month. Megawatt: One megawatt equals one million watts, or 1,000 kilowatts, roughly enough electricity for the instantaneous demand of 750 homes at once.

much better use for that thang ... powering 1,500 homes.
    More but NOT HY80
    How those don't roll over top heavy.
    Flight deck Death valley, Not for me.
    Plus that's the Real Navy, you know what I mean.
    I scrubbed shitters with a !st Class(he was short, so on the planes as a watch station)
    after watch duties for planes man, scrub shitters he loved every minute of it.

Tomcats on Her Ass? Love TC's(for a "2 Seater)
    Where are they hiding you little "Whirly Birds" ?
    Mr. Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by nedseg View Post
    Interesting article.
    I worked in (the human side) of a new data center for quite a few years.
    Even though this was the latest, most eco-minded (and anti-terrorist) design possible (VERY interesting forest of support pilons under the server area), the chiller noise does indeed permeate the place, even though they were place on the ground on insulated pads (earthquake shock absorbers) but is nothing compared to when they fire up the phalanx of backup gennies for testing.

The comments about it being worse late at night make a lot of sense - quite a few of my projects involved threading major application upgrades through the very complex schedule of backups (email was a real headache), nightly batch file runs and other regular patch maintenance - turns out that the heaviest network/server load was always after midnight - sometimes so bad that if some batch or backup couldn't complete by 8am it would cause slow network log-ins for arriving workers in the morning.

I often wondered about the effect of long term low level noise pollution on employees working there (half of the site was office space for those caring for and feeding the servers).

Curious trade off - data centers vs. shopping centers?

I've noticed a slight decrease in traffic noise from the nearby large strip mall which is now half vacant - and wonder about the trend of turning vacated malls into fullfillment centers (or new data center buildings!).
    Very glad I'm not super sensitive to that noise (and have a super insulated home!)

Thanks for the article!
    I'm pretty certain that the greater portion of my tinnitus is me being dumb and not wearing hearing protection often enough while working in DC's over the past 30 years. The worst one by far was a Verizon DC (was an old MCI Worldcom DC) I spent a week working at in Aberdeen, MD. After the first day there, I heard rushing water sounds and had ear pain trying to sleep that night. I realized then why there were muffs hanging on the wall in every pod. Since then, I always try to wear hearing protection, even if it is just earbuds.

ETA: After going back and reading the articles, it's amusing that' I've been in those CyrusOne DC's, and too many other small to mega DC's coast to coast to recall every one. There are a few Tier-4 and Tier-5 DC's that stand out above many. Some private DC's I can't divulge, but Switch SUPERNAP's are pretty cool colocation facilities.

I've worked in computer rooms/switching centers for 20+ years. The coolers are obtrusive, the systems themselves are always producing HF sounds. We always had FM radios to drown out the noise.

Tho those are minor next to jets spooling up (115-120db) 20 feet away. Although I had hearing protection while on deck, the sounds permeated the environment. And jets arresting at 120mph to zero in not much space made a huge thud (small shipquake ?) that shook the boat. The spools that held the 4 inch arresting cables also let out too much destructive HF sound.

Oh, and then there was sitting 4 feet below a Bell turbine for hours on end. The pilots did play the AFVN rock station through our headphones, it helped/distracted.

Won't even get into M16's with no noise attenuation.

Guess I'm a lucky survivor.

Boat

"shook the boat" Maybe shook the Hotel, shook the airport
    ONLY Blue Water "Boats" I know of "Submerge"(Airdale)

Another Sea Story

We had this thing about noise/sound, DUH, woke up from dead sleep(we didn't get much),
    Someone was "Pinging" on us. Heard it through the hull. Flash to shack, they were 80 miles away. War games, heard PDC's
    WTF are we doing here Once woke up because a pump had shut down for PM's, lack of a familiar "noise"
    WOKE ME UP !

Retired, bought convertible, wife, dog, and I took 17000 mile drive. The desert at night all alone in the middle of NOWHERE
    Opened me to sensory tranquility, for the first time in +++years. You must try, off the road NO traffic, bird, lights, nothing but
    your heart beating. So nice we joined the "Dessert Club"

Thread Information