Thread: Fashion that lets you feel music

Fashion that lets you feel music

Interesting development. I listened to a headphone a few years ago that had haptic sensors (transducers) for low bass. It did work. I can't help but think that this application will not be strictly for the deaf. Something like sonic VR for enhanced home enjoyment. Think wearable subwoofers at least, and probably something much more inclusive. At least until we have Holodecks like Star Trek TNG. "Feel the music" will never be quite the same. Awesome use of software. So many here have mentioned being adverse to headphones because they want the skin to be part of the experience. Well, here you are.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/technolo...you-feel-music
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

I believe they have been around for a while now, for gamers, mostly, but a quick google for "Subwoofer Vests" turned up Woojer and SubPac and a couple other vendors with similar wearable tech ...

Name:  41+W8vYJHBL.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  26.4 KB

SubPac has created its own physical-sound category by presenting a pair of innovative products, the SubPac M2, a wearable vest, and the SubPac S2, a seatback device. The vest is similar to a backpack, allowing you to take it wherever you go and in turn literally feel the low-end frequencies throughout your entire body. The SubPac is capable of connecting to any device via Bluetooth.

And, of course, Parts Express has sold "the Buttkicker" and similar tech for years.
    You install them in a chair or sofa and the transducer feeds bass into the chair

Name:  295-244_HR_0.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  8.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    Interesting development. I listened to a headphone a few years ago that had haptic sensors (transducers) for low bass. It did work. I can't help but think that this application will not be strictly for the deaf. Something like sonic VR for enhanced home enjoyment. Think wearable subwoofers at least, and probably something much more inclusive. At least until we have Holodecks like Star Trek TNG. "Feel the music" will never be quite the same. Awesome use of software. So many here have mentioned being adverse to headphones because they want the skin to be part of the experience. Well, here you are.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/technolo...you-feel-music
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Hello Heather

And, of course, Parts Express has sold "the Buttkicker" and similar tech for years.
    You install them in a chair or sofa and the transducer feeds bass into the chair
    Have you ever tried a demo with them? I guess it's important what you want to use them for. I did for HT and it's not realistic at all in the sense that you get way too much vibration for the SPL levels played with no tactile skin, pressure or clothes just through the seat. Could have been a bad demo but IMHO you simply should not need them if you have a decent HT set-up. For gaming OK music definitely not.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Better than baby steps already, I think.

Well, the application for the product in the BBC report is for people who CAN'T hear the HT - or any other setup. While it admittedly does not yet give a comparable experience (even the test subjects could sense that) it seems a good first step. Give it time and it will almost certainly help deliver a more immersive and complete experience for the deaf, and eventually for the hearing as well. It is already way beyond the subwoofer-only consumer applications mentioned here. I congratulate the developers on their forward-thinking and their efforts to bring this to a useful state.

I mentioned the similarity to wearable subwoofers in passing; next to helping the deaf enjoy music when clubbing, that is pretty trivial and of no more interest to me than cars with ear-shattering subs. I didn't mean to imply otherwise, sorry. Remember that this whole pursuit of sound reproduction was largely developed early on by a Scot trying to help the deaf. That pursuit is still ripe for further research and developments. Not everyone is as lucky as we are. I wish I could help and am grateful someone is.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Hello Heather

Have you ever tried a demo with them? I guess it's important what you want to use them for. I did for HT and it's not realistic at all in the sense that you get way too much vibration for the SPL levels played with no tactile skin, pressure or clothes just through the seat. Could have been a bad demo but IMHO you simply should not need them if you have a decent HT set-up. For gaming OK music definitely not.

Rob
    Have not tried them myself - we get plenty of usable bass with the B460 playing as a sub, with 4 UREI 809As.
    I'm not much of a gamer - more of a gardener ... and prefer nature sounds when outdoor.

Name:  UREI809s-B460-Joni_8690.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  98.5 KB
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thread Information