Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 125

Thread: Building my dream system, need lots of advise!

  1. #61
    Member jmpsmash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Santa Clara, CA
    Posts
    84
    Some progress over the weekend! Still need to finish the bracing and close up the back panel.

    Name:  20191020_181933.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  89.2 KB

  2. #62
    Senior Member 1audiohack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Posts
    2,718
    Alright! Keep us up on this please.

    Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

  3. #63
    Member jmpsmash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Santa Clara, CA
    Posts
    84
    Hopefully they will sing for the first time tonight!

    I still have a few planned bracings to put on, however, I have made the back removable so I will play with measurement before and after those bracings.

    I know. I am just impatient.

  4. #64
    Member jmpsmash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Santa Clara, CA
    Posts
    84
    Argh!!!

    I have put the speakers together, but one of the 2216ND-1 is DOA. No sound and ohmmeter shows no conductivity. Quite a setback for a supposedly exciting evening. Now I have to go through the process of getting it replaced.

  5. #65
    Administrator Mr. Widget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    10,003
    That is a bummer... but look at the bight side. If it was half of a pair of unobtainium vintage Western Electric woofers it would be worse.
    Good luck getting it replaced with minimal drama.


    Widget

  6. #66
    Member jmpsmash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Santa Clara, CA
    Posts
    84
    lol. it definitely sucks. now I can only listen to one side.

    However, I do like what I am hearing. Very well defined bass. It goes down deep and I can not only hear but feel the bass.

    I also start to realize I need to complete installing the bracing that I have cut, and potentially add more as I can feel and hear the box vibration.

  7. #67
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    US Midwest
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpsmash View Post
    lol. it definitely sucks. now I can only listen to one side.

    However, I do like what I am hearing. Very well defined bass. It goes down deep and I can not only hear but feel the bass.

    I also start to realize I need to complete installing the bracing that I have cut, and potentially add more as I can feel and hear the box vibration.
    I lived with only one ND-1 for a year before I could afford the second one (which also arrived DOA), but it gave me lots of time to compare (!) the vintage 2216 with the new tech version, and made me appreciate the 'totality' the second one provided THAT much more!
    Those things dig crazy deep, and with startling precision!

    Best wishes on your RMA!

  8. #68
    Member jmpsmash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Santa Clara, CA
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by nedseg View Post
    I lived with only one ND-1 for a year before I could afford the second one (which also arrived DOA), but it gave me lots of time to compare (!) the vintage 2216 with the new tech version, and made me appreciate the 'totality' the second one provided THAT much more!
    Those things dig crazy deep, and with startling precision!

    Best wishes on your RMA!
    waiting a year will drive me mad!

    right now I have routed both L/R channel to the one working speaker via the DSP.

    keeping my fingers crossed the replacement will be smooth.

  9. #69
    Senior Member SEAWOLF97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    PDX, ®egon
    Posts
    9,130
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpsmash View Post
    Argh!!!

    I have put the speakers together, but one of the 2216ND-1 is DOA. No sound and ohmmeter shows no conductivity. Quite a setback for a supposedly exciting evening. Now I have to go through the process of getting it replaced.
    did you measure across the tinsel leads or just the post connections ?
    “If you think that’s the dumbest thing you’ve ever heard,
    just wait a couple minutes!”

  10. #70
    Member jmpsmash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Santa Clara, CA
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    did you measure across the tinsel leads or just the post connections ?
    there are no tinsel leads. the layout of the connection is a bit different than normal drivers. there is a connector plate at the back of the speakers and the wires go straight into the rear of the magnet structure, all sealed.

  11. #71
    Member jmpsmash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Santa Clara, CA
    Posts
    84
    lots of stuff todo.

    - add more bracing
    - mount the binding posts
    - find a better solution to support the 2397/2441/T925A
    - tuning
    - decide on a finish. veneer or stain

    Name:  20191023_103313.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  179.8 KB

  12. #72
    Junior Member macsic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpsmash View Post
    lots of stuff todo.

    - find a better solution to support the 2397/2441/T925A
    Hi,
    It's this simple support that I made to support my 2397 and 2450. This year the 2450 have replaced my 2441 advantageously but it worked too.



    Music is emotion.

  13. #73
    Member jmpsmash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Santa Clara, CA
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by macsic View Post
    Hi,
    It's this simple support that I made to support my 2397 and 2450. This year the 2450 have replaced my 2441 advantageously but it worked too.


    macsic, very nice! I was planning to just 3D print something.

    How did you find the 2450 vs 2441?

  14. #74
    Member jmpsmash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Santa Clara, CA
    Posts
    84
    update on the 2216ND-1. SpeakerExchange has contacted JBL. I am waiting for a shipping label to send JBL the DOA driver and they will send one to me directly. Keeping my fingers crossed.

  15. #75
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Germany / Hamburg
    Posts
    593
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpsmash View Post
    Argh!!!

    I have put the speakers together, but one of the 2216ND-1 is DOA. No sound and ohmmeter shows no conductivity. Quite a setback for a supposedly exciting evening. Now I have to go through the process of getting it replaced.

    Unfortunately I have noticed quality issues with current JBL parts quit often in the near past. I don´t know if I would buy current JBL products anymore due to bad quality... Very sad to say, but JBL is still asking top dollars as allways but can´t remain it´s good quality from the past...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Building a speaker system from bottom up
    By mortron in forum Lansing Product Technical Help
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-20-2019, 03:43 PM
  2. Building a CC 3145 Crossover for my 4345s need advise
    By Ricpan in forum Lansing Product DIY Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-23-2017, 08:09 AM
  3. Dream system coming together, an update.
    By Doc Mark in forum Lansing Product DIY Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-03-2008, 11:13 AM
  4. The DIY dream -system
    By Niklas Nord in forum Lansing Product General Information
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-17-2004, 11:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •