Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Building my dream system, need lots of advise!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.db View Post
    Unfortunately I have noticed quality issues with current JBL parts quit often in the near past. I don´t know if I would buy current JBL products anymore due to bad quality... Very sad to say, but JBL is still asking top dollars as allways but can´t remain it´s good quality from the past...
    One would think just checking voice coil resistance should be a simple and mandatory QC. Hopefully the one that works, will keep on working. There won't be so many of these 2216ND-1 around in 10-20 yrs time if they fail in the future.

Just a question, did you by chance lift the terminal plate off the back to see if the wires are connected?

It’s not like I have bought enough of these to statistically qualify anything but I am eight for eight on the 2216’s, all mine are good.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Just a question, did you by chance lift the terminal plate off the back to see if the wires are connected?

It’s not like I have bought enough of these to statistically qualify anything but I am eight for eight on the 2216’s, all mine are good.

Barry.
    Yes. I did. I measured from the closet point on the wire that I can have access to, which is the crimp connection at the back of the terminal plate.

Unfortunately it just seems that I got unlucky.

Damn!
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by jmpsmash View Post
    update on the 2216ND-1. SpeakerExchange has contacted JBL. I am waiting for a shipping label to send JBL the DOA driver and they will send one to me directly. Keeping my fingers crossed.
    Just shipped it out.

Somehow the warehouse for JBL is in Syracuse, NY? Since I am in CA, I was hoping it would be in Northridge. Now the turnaround will be 2 weeks.

Yeah, you’re a decade or two, too late. Of course back then your woofer would’ve weighed a lot more…, But it probably would’ve worked too.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Yeah, you’re a decade or two, too late. Of course back then your woofer would’ve weighed a lot more…, But it probably would’ve worked too.

Widget
    indeed.

macsic, very nice! I was planning to just 3D print something.

How did you find the 2450 vs 2441?
    I have always loved my 2441 until listening to the 2450 more "snappy" (how to say in english more alive) even better with Dia's Aquaplased than the 2441 (maybe too old). But you know it's my ears and those of my friends who arrive at this conclusion in my room with what I have.
    The road you are pursuing is full of very pleasant discoveries and that is all the pleasure.
    Good road to you
    Music is emotion.

making do with just one 2216ND-1 is hard! I did managed to do get quite a bit of bracing and then a little measurement done.

here is what it looks like right now. the back panel is attached with 20 screws.
    Name:  20191026_220034.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  145.8 KB

Crossover points are 800Hz and 5kHz. 48db/octave LR

Frequency Response and Phase

Name:  2216ND1-aligned-phase.png
Views: 716
Size:  79.7 KB

Distortion

Name:  2216ND1-aligned-distortion.png
Views: 692
Size:  84.9 KB

Group Delay

Name:  2216ND1-aligned-GD.png
Views: 673
Size:  42.9 KB

something is happening at around 200Hz. there is a null, a sudden phase crossing, and a increase in GD. that corresponds to the height of the cabinet...

I haven't added any damping or sound absorption in the box yet, just a braced bare wooden box.

Also from the distortion, going from 2216ND-1 to 2397 at around 800Hz there is a sudden change/increase in distortion, same for going from 2397->Fostex at around 5kHz

In fact, one of the graph I made, shows that the 2216ND-1 can go up to 3kHz while keeping lower distortion than the horn!

there is also an increase in distortion going down from 50Hz. That might be the extra 5dB EQ I added there.

Can't say too much about the sound at the moment. Since I am still waiting for the replacement 2216ND1. I only have bass on one side, and to compensate, I added a few dB to balance the sound level. Even then, it sounds unbalanced.

Before I added the bracing, I was able to hear some mid-frequency ringing. After spending a whole morning cutting and gluing a couple dozen braces, the box is much more quiet. Tapping sound dull instead of resonating.

I haven't done the damping yet. Decided to do some measurement first.

Any comments will be greatly appreciated!

something is happening at around 200Hz. there is a null, a sudden phase crossing, and a increase in GD. that corresponds to the height of the cabinet...

I haven't added any damping or sound absorption in the box yet, just a braced bare wooden box.
    Where is your measuring mic located? If it is not within a 1/4”-1/2” of the cone you will be getting some degree of room interaction. If you are taking a gated MLS measurement you need to raise the cabinet off the floor a meter or two in a very large room and take your measurement at about 2m.

If you don’t use close mic techniques or gated measurements you will definitely be getting misleading room influenced data.

Widget

i did try gated but didn't make that much of a difference. However, I measured at 1m away. No way I am going to lift these up 1m, they weigh a ton!

I will try close mic.

Thread Information