Hi all,

Before I start, let's start with an introduction and a little history. I have been dabbling with audio on and off for around 2 decades. My mother, of all ppl, is a music lover and an audiophile who got me hooked. My main music category is classical (symphonies/orchestral mostly) and a little jazz and no other genres.

Over the years going to shows and visiting friends (of friends) there are a couple of systems which really made an impression on me. One is a system with a 2 way, a pair of 2397/375 + 136A housed in a rather large translam cabinet. The bass definition was unreal while the texture coming from the Smith horns were that of a dream, these were driven by a 200W SET amp with a soccer size radio output tube. Another system is a multiway, with 3 horns and 2x JBL 15" and 2x JBL 18" housed in separate pro cabinets, on EACH SIDE. driven by DSP crossver and Crown amps. Playing orchestral music, the scale, dynamics, and at the same time, completely effortless presentation was phenomenal. I couldn't stop smiling for hours.

While the latter system is too large to be housed in my own home, my dream is to bring the essence of both systems and fuse it into my own dream system.

With a fair amount of reading and research, I think I have come up with something that is feasible and reasonable in my listening space (20'x20' room).

I have, as some might seen, started gathering pieces already. I have acquired a pair of 2397 and a pair of 2441. I also recently got a pair of stilll in the box NOS pair of 2123H (just in case I want to do a 4 way), a pair of Fostex T925A (though I am tempted by a pair of 2405 but not sure the condition). These will be driven by a minidsp crossover SPDIF unit that feeds separate DACs and a mix of class D amps (NC400 and Nuprime).

I have most of pieces already and what is missing is a good woofer and cabinets. I have currently a quad set of Pure Audio Project OB15Neo in open baffle leftover from a previous project but I find them really not up to par when it comes to clarity and definition. there is enough volume and speed but rather woolly in the presentation.

So in the end, I think I want to end up with:

Fostex T925A
2441+2397
2123H (maybe?)
2235H

crossover point is planned to be 5kHz, 1kHz, 250Hz

I am pretty new to this, and for the 2123H and 2235H I need to build the cabinets. From what I read so far, they need to be 0.5 cuft and 5 cuft respectively.

I have a few questions...

Is the plan a sound one? Am I heading the right direction to good sound?

What I am not sure is the 2123H, do I need it? Can I do away with it and cross at 5kHz and 950Hz? Is that stretching the 2441/2397 and the 2235H?

I still haven't found a 2235H, what is a reasonable price for it?

is putting a Fostex in a predominant JBL system heresy? I find it harder and harder to find good condition drivers and buying new might be less headache though a pair of 2405 popped up recently which looked like in good condition. Should I go for those instead?

I have only build open baffles speakers up till now. There will be quite a lot of learning ahead for the cabinets.

Anything else I need to know?