Thread: Altec Model 19 vs. Cornwall II

Altec Model 19 vs. Cornwall II

I've owned Altec Model 19 speakers for several years and love them--will probably never part with them. I have another listening space that needs a pair of "good" speakers. A friend of a friend is selling his 1986 Klipsch Cornwall speakers--stock configuration (by 1986 they no longer used the controversial metal midrange horn and used an "upgraded" tweeter and crossover network). He hasn't listed them yet so I'll get first crack at them if I want. I'm not going to be able to A/B them against my Model 19's of course, but I think I'll know right off the bat if they're in the same league or not. It's a long drive from my home--is it worth investigating them/driving a good distance or are they going to pale in comparison to Model 19's? I realize if I ask this question on a Klipsch forum I may get a different answer, but I'm not interested in joining a Klipsch forum and value the opinions many of you here. Thanks in advance for your opinions/input...

It sort of depends what he wants for them. It's been a long time since I've heard the Cornwall, and although I believe that they are a good product. I think your Altecs are better. If you decide to get them or even before, check out Bob Crites website to look at various upgrades available that can tame the horns.

keep on listening

Ed
    KEEP ON LISTENING!

I have owned the original Cornwall and liked them as “party speakers”. If the price is right and a 2’ by 3’ speakers fits your needs, I’d get them.

Widget

I heard a pair of Cornwalls , not really setup correctly , out in a room , not even near corners/walls and was unimpressed. There just was no bass to speak of ....too much mid.

So that is a consideration, do you have the room to position them correctly

(seems to be a lot on the web about this)
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I heard a pair of Cornwalls , not really setup correctly , out in a room , not even near corners/walls and was unimpressed. There just was no bass to speak of ....too much mid.

So that is a consideration, do you have the room to position them correctly

(seems to be a lot on the web about this)
    Corn/wall... from the words of Paul W. Klipsch himself these speakers were designed to go along a wall or in a corner.

Not to fully out myself as a vintage Klipsch guy, but I have owned Klipschorns, La Scalas, Cornwalls and Heresys... I even built a pair of DIY Belle Klipsch back in the day. I respect these designs and enjoy them. That said, I do not currently own any Klipsch speakers other than a pair of K-400s and K55V drivers that are waiting for a DIY project that may never happen. They are all a bit to "horn like" for my taste as primary speakers and I do not have the luxury of having multiple large speakers at present.

Widget

My experience with my Cornwall II was that they were much more civilized when driven by tubes. Will you be driving them with tubes or solid state?
    Currently: L300, C40 Harkness (030 Load), 4301B

Thread Information