Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Altec 846A or Model 19 possible purchase

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Thats not nit picking, it was genuine curiosity. Sorry you perceived it as an attack, it wasn't meant as one. Attachment 85085
    Never mind HJames, I still do not understand why you purchased a Russian teflon cap, why Russian. I do not trust their control quality.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by f456gt View Post
    Never mind HJames, I still do not understand why you purchased a Russian teflon cap, why Russian. I do not trust their control quality.

Cheers.
    my audio guru built the same pair of crossovers using the parts, and since his set sounded so superb, I followed his guidance.
    The proof was in the sonics.
    Oh, and I bought a Capacitor/Inductance meter so I could spec the parts for closest tolerance before inserting them in the circuit, just to be sure.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Hello Horacio,

Congratulations on obtaining the 846a's They are a true classic, especially if the grills are intact. On later models Altecs primarily the 873, 875, and 878, altec devised an equalizer circuit between the crossover and the horn driver. This was done to pad down the upper mids about 6dB, and ended the so called mid range shout problem. Altec also did this on the pro monitors. I think the 19 had an eq circuit also. You probably already know this. When you are coming up with your cross over, I'd design an eq circuit in.

Once you are done, and listening you'll be amazed at the depth of field they can produce, especially on the Decca 3 tree type recordings. ( I detest multi-miking )

Daniel Barenboim! I'm impressed. Does he still swing the stick at the Israel Phil?

Keep on Listening.
    Ed
    KEEP ON LISTENING!

Thread Information