Thread: 2202 cone sag

2202 cone sag

I just got a pair of 2202H, they were shipped to me. One had a damaged dustcap so I’ve removed it, but they both seem to be sitting quite low, the spiders look like they’re sagging. But I don’t have any others to compare to so I’m not sure whether they’re okay.

Since i was replacing the dustcap I figured I’d measure the former so we can be a bit more scientific the top of it is sitting at 10.5mm above the top plate, or 29/32 for you guys!

If they are sagging, is there anything I can do? Since all genuine recone kits are NLA, I really don’t want to have to recone these. I do have a pair of 2204 baskets, so I’m going to get some aftermarket 2202 kits in them and compare against the originals, as I’ve not had any aftermarket cones yet and there are mixed reviews. Surely in 2019 someone would have gotten close to remanufacturing them.

some pics
    Name:  IMG_3918 copy.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  127.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_3927 copy.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  137.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_3923 copy.jpg
Views: 866
Size:  107.3 KB

Even 'Sag'?...

Hi Budney,

Can see what you mean... I am wondering what to do with a pair of my own that, when they arrived after I had bought them - were "nothing" like the description

given in the For Sale ad. AND from a Music Shop dealer in Sydney, Aust.

I had a good look at mine and "discovered" that (as you know - they are pretty solid for a 12"!) as you go to pick them up, you need a good grip and, I'm thinking,

whoever picked mine up, ALSO had their fingers over the 'spider'... so that, being aged, they "push in"... (mine have waves..)

I am not sure if that is also your problem but I do notice quite a bit of the White powdery oxidisation on the galvanizing of the Top Plate [mates with the basket] - if

they have been on their backs for any length of time - even though the cone assembly is quite light, it may have sagged. I would be asking Ken, 'edgewound' on this

forum and see his suggestion. He is in that business of rejuvinating JBL drivers, reconing, etc.

But I am thinking - a 'good' aftermarket recone is going to be the fix... ... I'm in the same boat !

Kind Regards,
    DogBox [steve]

Quote Originally Posted by budney View Post
    I just got a pair of 2202H, they were shipped to me. One had a damaged dustcap so I’ve removed it, but they both seem to be sitting quite low, the spiders look like they’re sagging. But I don’t have any others to compare to so I’m not sure whether they’re okay.

Since i was replacing the dustcap I figured I’d measure the former so we can be a bit more scientific the top of it is sitting at 10.5mm above the top plate, or 29/32 for you guys!

If they are sagging, is there anything I can do? Since all genuine recone kits are NLA, I really don’t want to have to recone these. I do have a pair of 2204 baskets, so I’m going to get some aftermarket 2202 kits in them and compare against the originals, as I’ve not had any aftermarket cones yet and there are mixed reviews. Surely in 2019 someone would have gotten close to remanufacturing them.

Talk to Edgewound about after market

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    Talk to Edgewound about after market
    X2 on this. Edgwound is the man to see, knows his stuff.

Paging Dr Edgewound, are you there? We need your help!

I've come across this video, which looks like it could work...I've seen people mentioning using acetone instead of water to reset the spider. Has anyone tried this? I may as well give it a go, if it works great, if not I'll need to recone...which I really hope I dont have to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgbPan_0Pq0

theres also this video which is a similar thing, anyone have any experience?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVdttMutJrM

Before you dive down the rabbit hole try this :

Download NCH tone generator then either make a CD or connect to your computer audio output. Feed into an amp. You want to select approx 30 Hz tone and feed that to your speaker at a gentle level. enough that you can see the movement.
    Let it run like that for several hours , for the cone that has sunk inwards run it on the tone face down. Support it on 2x2 sticks or use 2" bolts nuts and washers to create legs that will let the cone breathe.
    It does work , ask me how I know.

I have a pair of 2203 I rescued from this horrible fate. The method I used was to prop up the cone to it's proper resting position. You can do this with some crunched up balls of paper towel. Now that you have it at it's proper height, temporarily remove the balls of paper towel and take an artist's larger paint brush and apply some MEK on the spider, enough to wet it. Reposition/adjust the paper towel. Now let it dry for a few days. Voila. You may have to do it a second time. The key is to be patient and not apply a large amount of MEK for good measure! You want to soften the material in the spider to reform it. MEK is very potent so ventilation or outside is mandatory.

I think what caused the spiders to collapse was the foam surrounds shrinking and pulling them down. They appeared to be refoamed by those thick heavy grey ones from Simply Speakers I've gotten in the past but refused to install just because of that. I got a pair of new ones from Rick Cobb here. Much lighter and more compliant. He sent me a similar pair earlier for 122a. Much closer to original oem.

Thread Information