Thread: JBL LE2-99 / Lanser 99 NEED HELP FAST!!!

JBL LE2-99 / Lanser 99 NEED HELP FAST!!!

Hello everyone
    Looking for some guidance on a set of speakers. JBL LE2-99 / Lanser 99 with a SE401 installed in the cabinet. The cabinets have sequential numbers. I cannot find any information on these besides a brief description in the JBL catalog from 1964 and 1967. I have a opportunity to purchase these (NOT CHEAP!) but I don't believe this amp was a factory install. I understand the amp would have a SE402 (1964 catalog) or SE408 (1967 catalog) identification if installed from JBL and SE401 if purchased separately. Is this accurate? I have also been told that these amps were configured for each speaker individually. Therefore you simply cannot install any energizer into any cabinet and expect good results. Is this true? Does anyone out there have these speakers and can tell me the sound quality and if there are indeed rare? Don't want to waste a lot of cash chasing a unicorn here. Thanks in advance
    Steve

Any input on these speakers? Looking to make a deal if that have ay sort of value. Anyone heard these or know just how collectible they are? Thanks again

-opinion-

Not where I'd personally go for a daily listener (14" woofer crossing over to a small paper tweeter is bound to have its limitations),
    but they are old with fewer and fewer of them in decent shape, and the energizer bit (if working) is an interesting twist.
    Sometimes the cabinets make for nice looking furniture/nostalgia.

-suggestion-

If you can't listen first, I'd pass. If you can (or can easily return them), give it a go and see what you think.
    Investment-wise, I think you could do better. Personal interest and preference-wise, who am I to judge?
    Have fun.

The energizer EQ cards can be specific for a system or 'flat', such that they're just a normal amp and one would still use the passive crossovers.
    No idea what would have come with, or if there were even EQ cards available for the Lancer-99 system. It -looks- like the energized Lancer 99
    system, as it was available from JBL, came with passive crossovers (http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...964/page34.jpg) but
    they -could- have tweaked the overall response further with an EQ card set. Someone else may know or have paperwork on this. If the EQ cards
    aren't intended for Lancer 99 use (either specifically, or as 'flat'), chances are good it would not be a particularly suitable EQ correction/adjustment.

Thank you for the input. I think I will be passing on these. Cool looking, yes, but I just cannot confirm the amp is “tailored” to this specific loudspeaker. Might just be a neat end table that cost way too much.
    Thanks again for your valued input on this
    best regards
    steve

Thread Information