Thread: Blast from the past...and JBL 4429

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Blast from the past...and JBL 4429

Hi All,

I haven't been here for years...

Anyway, the devil got to me after owner nice JBL gear and I have been using active Genelec 8351 monitors in my home studio for a few years.

I was getting bored listening to the same near field monitors all the time so I finally got around to taking my mint 30yo JBL 120Ti's out of the roof space and set them up mid field on the back of a old Bryston 3B-ST. I'd forgotten how cool the classic 12" three-way passive format can sound - not as accurate as the Genelecs - but alot of fun to listen to with the rock stuff I mainly fiddle with....JBL bass still has 'it'

I've also had L250 and 250ti both of which are now sold but I still know who has the 250ti here in Ireland.

I'm now on the hunt for 4429 I think.

From the research I am doing, they really seem to have nailed the 12" three way with the 4429. May be a future classic as was sad to read about Greg Timbers, etc getting removed from Harmon. I assume Greg, Jerry etc had a hand in these?
    End of an era, so sad the way audio has gone...

Good to see you back ....

I enjoy the heck out of my 120ti's daily , mainly listening to 60's - 70's , the
    accuracy question just never comes up.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Yeah, maybe I should just stick with the 120's...

I've a dealer here in UK ready to give me a decent price on the 4429's (still not cheap!).

I do tend to give the 120ti's a good thrashing and they do get a bit edgy at the limit...Bryston 3B-ST driving them.

There's also a set of 4367 floating about second hand (too big for my home studio)

If nothing else the horns are certainly better than past units but the 1200Fe eclipses all that came before them, those are stellar.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

I've been living with the 4429's for several years now. I can tell you that they are better built then the classic L series. One inch thick cabinets that are superbly finished. 74 pounds each cabinet. Kind of a bitch to move around. Get you a good D to A converter because the 4429's can definitely sort out the differences. I think they will become a classic in 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlcnm View Post
    I've been living with the 4429's for several years now. I can tell you that they are better built then the classic L series. One inch thick cabinets that are superbly finished. 74 pounds each cabinet. Kind of a bitch to move around. Get you a good D to A converter because the 4429's can definitely sort out the differences. I think they will become a classic in 30 years.
    Yes, I suspect the same. Shame I have no way of listening to them but if the bottom end is typical JBL then I'm sure they are for me.

I'm chasing a discounted pair here in the UK but just waiting to make final decision. I have a pair if 120ti here and they are great fun too (and don't owe me big money)

I was just checking the 4425 spec and noticed they are 'only' 91dB so the 4429 at 90dB are essentially the same. I'd always assumed the 4425 was a bit more efficient.

Also, I noticed the JBL spec online states the crossover frequencies in two places 800Hz, 7kHz (which must be correct ) and then in second column 2kHz, 5kHz (obviously incorrect).
    Is that an error - sloppy?

https://mm.jbl.com/loudspeakers/4429...d=loudspeakers

800Hz, 7kHz is correct.
    43XX (2235-2123-2450-2405-CC 3155)5235-4412-4406-4401-L250-18Ti-L40-S109 Aquarius lV-C38 (030) 305P MkII

The bass on the 4429's was pretty subdued when I first hooked them up. Took about a year to loosen the suspension up. Bass goes low now. If you look at the mechanical layout of the woofer, you will noticed there are two suspension spiders. Probably why it took that long. I bought these guys without listening to them, so took a chance on them.

Thread Information