Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Project Widget

You are using the TAD 703 tweeter, I suppose the vertical dispersion is as narrow as the JBL 2405? If so, it should be as close as possible to the ear level e.g. the listening hight...
    Where about is your ear level on this speaker?
    In the center of the midhorn or somewhere between the midhorn and tweeter?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.db View Post
    You are using the TAD 703 tweeter, I suppose the vertical dispersion is as narrow as the JBL 2405? If so, it should be as close as possible to the ear level e.g. the listening hight...
    Where about is your ear level on this speaker?
    In the center of the midhorn or somewhere between the midhorn and tweeter?
    Your assumption is correct. I sit in a fairly low "lounge" style chair that puts my ears between the two horns.

Placing the measurement mic right at my ear height there is a slight roll off at the tweeter, one that I could compensate for by adjusting the padding on the mid driver, but I haven't felt the need. (The tweeter covers 12KHz and up.)

Widget

That particular tweeter is not a diffraction slot like the 2405, and albeit it shows a major pattern flit in the <10kHz range, it is not the case anymore above 10kHz where it gets both H and V directivity control.
    When used above 10kHz and if a larger H than V directivity is wanted, the ET703 should be used with the horn placed horizontally.

Here are some measurements with the horn placed horizontally:

horizontal 0/22/45
    Name:  ET703 zoom + HP 5kHz, 1m horizontal slot.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  112.4 KB

vertical 0/22/45
    Name:  ET703 zoom + HP 5kHz, 1m vertical slot.jpg
Views: 841
Size:  112.0 KB

Another set of measurements at 0/30 H/30 V, and a comparison with the 2405:

ET703, horn placed horizontally
    Name:  ET703.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  132.7 KB

2405H, slot placed vertically
    Name:  2405.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  134.4 KB

Thanks POS, very interesting measurements. Honestly I can't remember how far I got into the analysis of the ET-703 when I dreamed these up back in the mid 2000s. I remember running basic impedance and FR plots to help determine the crossover, but beyond that, I'm not sure.

It seems there is not a lot of difference between the horizontal or vertical performance through a 45° arc, but when you move out to a 90° arc the horizontal orientation will give you a wider spread and better performance. I wonder with my now 60 year old ears that roll off significantly above 15KHz if I would notice? Interestingly, in the Living Voice VOX Olympian, they mount theirs at a 45° angle... sort of splitting the difference.

In my application and in my friend's system with the same speakers, we have the speakers toed in so we are dead on axis of the speakers and we have placed them in rooms with somewhat delayed and diffused early reflections. These conditions are no doubt important since following the research done by Floyd Toole and others at Harman, the polars and power response for the Project Widgets are likely not stellar... yet, somehow they sound great and image well. (Imaging is a bit better than the Everests and not as good as the Array 1400s or the M2s.)

Widget

Thanks a lot both of you!!

The TAD-703 seems to be much less beamy vertically and widgets ear-level is fairly low. So no problem at all.

But if someone would use a 2405 tweeter in a similar diy-speaker, where about is the best hight for the ear-level?
    Right between the midhorn and the tweeter?

Thanks for the graphs, POS, I'm sure glad Widget sold me a pair back before the prices went crazy

Thread Information