Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Project Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post

While I think on-line speaker videos are pretty much pointless exercises, I also don't have any equipment that can do that.

Now, that said, if you are in the area visiting, shoot me a PM and I'll try to give you a private demo.

Widget

Thanks for the invitation.

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin View Post
    Thanks for the invitation.
    Road trip!

Napa Valley is near by and is beautiful in September/October. Come on up.

Widget

very nice build, I really like the look of the veneer
    I am curious, what is the port tuning of the enclosure for the Tl-1102?

Ari

Road trip!

Napa Valley is near by and is beautiful in September/October. Come on up.

Widget
    Silverado Trail is brilliant , did it on a bicycle from Napa and back stopping at in no particular order Sutter Home , Krug , Mumms , Mondavi. Fond memories.

Wonderful ...

They look stunning Widget ..... I'm glad you kept the parts .

best , Richard

I love this. Thanks for sharing.

Widget, absolutely stunning! And, many thanks for a trip down memory lane. I still remember listening to the previous incarnation at your home in Alameda years ago.

i very happy to hear you are finally enjoying the fruits of many years of labor.

Thanks... man-years is more like it!

Actually, while the veneer is from a Californian tree, I purchased it from Oakwood Veneer in Michigan. They are extremely helpful. I exchanged numerous emails and reviewed photos of several sheets before I picked the ones I used.

Widget
    Just a note in agreement about Oakwood Veneer in Michigan. I too had great experience in dealing with them when I built my L300 clones a few years ago.

Thumbs up

Wow beautiful job! I imagine those have a huge sound with the Sub1500s. Enjoy!

Thanks a lot for sharing your awesome project!
    Stunning craftmanship as allways!

It´s very interesting to see a 4-way speaker using a 10"-midwoofer differently to what JBL used to do.
    The classical JBL-monitors used their 10" in closed boxes from ~300hz up. You´re using a 10" in a vented box from 75hz up. What made you go this route?
    Is it because your 15" is more like a sub than like a woofer and not capable of going up to 300hz?

Quote Originally Posted by hlaari View Post
    very nice build, I really like the look of the veneer
    I am curious, what is the port tuning of the enclosure for the Tl-1102?
    Unfortunately I don't remember. I did all the design work over a decade ago! If I fire up CLIO, I'll measure it for you. I believe I tuned it at around 40Hz.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.db View Post
    Thanks a lot for sharing your awesome project!
    Stunning craftmanship as allways!

It´s very interesting to see a 4-way speaker using a 10"-midwoofer differently to what JBL used to do.
    The classical JBL-monitors used their 10" in closed boxes from ~300hz up. You´re using a 10" in a vented box from 75hz up. What made you go this route?
    Is it because your 15" is more like a sub than like a woofer and not capable of going up to 300hz?
    If I could have lived with a larger cabinet I think I would have used the 1500AL as the bass driver and then I could have moved the crossover point up a bit higher. As it was, to keep the enclosure size to a more manageable size... it is obviously still not a small speaker, using the Sub1500 and the TAD 10" driver in the revised woofer enclosure was a tight fit, but using a 1500AL would have taken all the volume I had for the pair of woofers. The 1500AL when properly tuned and digitally goosed will give you pretty prodigious and subjectively very good sounding VLF performance and would possibly be a step up over the Sub1500, but as is always the case... speaker design is a game of juggling the compromises!

That said, the Sub1500 in these sealed enclosures with a bit of digital encouragement is giving me 30Hz flat, -3dB at about 28Hz and a 12dB octave roll off below that. Accurately measuring the -10dB point in a real room is pretty tough, but I seem to be at around 20Hz +/- 5Hz so the low end is pretty deep for a music system. We regularly install HT systems with deeper and more powerful bottom ends, but they also tend to have subjectively fatter bottom ends with more group delay than the Sub1500 in a fairly compact sealed box provides.

...and thanks again to everyone for the compliments.

Widget

I have recently taken level measurements of the various drivers to get them within 0.1dB between the left and right channels. After doing that and listening a bit more critically, I made my first tweak. I changed the low pass on the Sub1500 to a 4th order slope to keep more of it's output out of the way of the TL-1102. The TL-1102's high pass is still third order.

The difference is subtle, but subjectively I think I prefer the sound quality of this configuration.

Widget

WOW Widget!!

I have, over the years wondered what happened to these cabinets. I remember the thread of you building them, and then, as happens to a lot of us, life comes and changes our direction and we forget some of the things in the past. Not by choice, just life's directions, decisions and compromises.

The story was excellent, and I for one appreciate you sharing this tale with the forum!

The project is beautiful and worthy of praise! Your attention to detail is superb! I do hope that the "Interior Design Director" is pleased with the fruits of your labor!

Please do post the grills when you have mastered them as well!

Congrats and Cheers!

Shane
    Always fun learning more.......

Unfortunately I don't remember. I did all the design work over a decade ago! If I fire up CLIO, I'll measure it for you. I believe I tuned it at around 40Hz.

If I could have lived with a larger cabinet I think I would have used the 1500AL as the bass driver and then I could have moved the crossover point up a bit higher. As it was, to keep the enclosure size to a more manageable size... it is obviously still not a small speaker, using the Sub1500 and the TAD 10" driver in the revised woofer enclosure was a tight fit, but using a 1500AL would have taken all the volume I had for the pair of woofers. The 1500AL when properly tuned and digitally goosed will give you pretty prodigious and subjectively very good sounding VLF performance and would possibly be a step up over the Sub1500, but as is always the case... speaker design is a game of juggling the compromises!

That said, the Sub1500 in these sealed enclosures with a bit of digital encouragement is giving me 30Hz flat, -3dB at about 28Hz and a 12dB octave roll off below that. Accurately measuring the -10dB point in a real room is pretty tough, but I seem to be at around 20Hz +/- 5Hz so the low end is pretty deep for a music system. We regularly install HT systems with deeper and more powerful bottom ends, but they also tend to have subjectively fatter bottom ends with more group delay than the Sub1500 in a fairly compact sealed box provides.

...and thanks again to everyone for the compliments.

Widget
    TL-1102 is definitely a great midbass/midrange woofer, I have try dual 251J in 2 cu.ft enclosure with port tuning around 60Hz crossed between 70Hz - 1200Hz, and they work great

1500Al, 1501Al-1 need a lot bigger volume than W1500H/Sub1500. I think at they will perform great with volume around 150 - 160 liters like JBL use in the older big 4-way monitors tuned around 28 - 30Hz. used up to 300Hz with some good 10" 2122h, 2123h or 2251J between the 15" and the compression driver/horn.

Ari

Thanks a lot for that backround information!

Thread Information