Hi guys!

I am new to this forum, so I hope I do things correctly.

One thing has been on my mind for a while. There are lots of classical and very popular drivers from JBL, Altec Lansing and others. Just to mention a few cone drivers from the top of my head:
JBL E145
JBK 2220
Altec Lansing 515
TAD 1601b

...and there are off course many others.

But what if one should make new drivers that would work as drop in replacement for any of these. What would be important? What really makes those drivers so popular? I assume the fact that they are obsolete gives them a kind of exclusivity, but things like high VAS, strong motors and low moving mass are things you do not see as often today as back in the days.

I am currently working on a 15 inch with parameters similar to the TAD 1601b, and some discussions are going on about what is most important. It is currently at 400 liters VAS and has a motor characteristic and moving parts that gives it the same low end response as the 1601 in bass reflex cabinets. However, it also differs in important areas. For example, instead of an alnico motor, it has a compact neodymium motor. It also has way lower Le, longer x-max, and a 100% symetrical differential drive motor. Off course it also has less progressive suspension due to the longer x-max.

What I want to discuss here is...:
- Why do we like the old classics?
- Which ones of the old classics are really interesting today?
- What would be important parameters to keep if one were to make a new drop in replacement?
- And which parameters should we allow ourselves to change?

I just attach an image to make the post look better
Name:  Woofer front.png
Views: 4937
Size:  147.7 KB