Thread: 12" equivalent to 2216Nd ?

12" equivalent to 2216Nd ?

In my forum travels I see that the 2216Nd reaps huge acclaim and I was just a wondering if there was a 12" that has the same motor etc.
    So there is 2262H and HPL that looks similar , it's in the VTX F12 and some STX boxes.
    I was always slightly puzzled that with the introduction of the M2 that JBL didn't come up with a littl'un. The intended application of the M2 was for production and mastering studios hence the wide even dispersion characteristics. Some of those mixing desks are huge , 60 input channels is not uncommon.
    The other thing that was forwarded re the horn design was that it is scaleable ,so I was wondering if for a 12" is the 2262 up to snuff. In. conjunction with a slightly scaled down M2 type throat / WG of course.

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    so I was wondering if for a 12" is the 2262 up to snuff. In. conjunction with a slightly scaled down M2 type throat / WG of course.
    I can only give a slight opinion of possible help for you here.
    I put the single 2262 I got into a set of cabs with 7 other mids like the 2206s. Being so old school it amazes me still, that such a light weight speaker can deliver so much. In the old days we put K120s, then E120s, 2202s, 2204s and finally 2206s into (low-mid) mid boxes.
    It sounds great to me but I am tuning a home built set of compact cabs for PA use that don't have much throwing help (more intimate use). So I select the crossover points and set the eq for max smooth output and less resonance. The 2262 is not going down low or up too high. It seems to do the exact job that the 2206 does so far to my ears. I'm still building the system and having to tune the cabs to tighten them up so things might change? I hear some resonance in the cabs that needs bracing?
    It handles good power, sounds good, and is less weight so I wish I had all 2262s in my cabs to save on weight alone.
    As far as studio monitor use, I couldn't provide good help with that intimate a setting and clean, non colored, sound requirement yet.
    I will look forward to reading opinions posted by studio guys here on this stuff.
    BTW, I got an older used M (musician?) series light weight 12" that seems to have a boost in the bass region. It sounds pretty good for stage monitor use but maybe too colored for the studio? I haven't pushed it yet to see of the distortion or clarity level at high volumes either. I'm hoping it will work for back-up singers and/or small club setting stage monitors.
    Yes I am way behind!

Macaroonie,
    Are you looking for a complete speaker system or just the driver? I've only heard it once, but the LSR6332 is uses a differential type LF, and it is a terrific speaker. I was smitten on the spot, even though it needs a sub. I'll take 3 please. Oh wait, the WAF is so low it's in the negative.

Keep on listening,

Ed
    KEEP ON LISTENING!

No specific plans Ed, I was just curious in that JBL did not see fit to make a smaller M2. It is the case that the M2 was designed for a specific application. It may well be the case that JBL pro could not identify a significant market for a smaller form of the same technology.
    Anyway my digging about reveals that the 2262H is more like 2206 1400pro etc. Then of course the M2 2216Nd-1 is not a 2216Nd due I believe to Aquaplas mass loading of the cone.
    Not that McGuyver types would struggle to make this mod.to a 2262H.

No specific plans Ed, I was just curious in that JBL did not see fit to make a smaller M2. It is the case that the M2 was designed for a specific application. It may well be the case that JBL pro could not identify a significant market for a smaller form of the same technology.
    Anyway my digging about reveals that the 2262H is more like 2206 1400pro etc. Then of course the M2 2216Nd-1 is not a 2216Nd due I believe to Aquaplas mass loading of the cone.
    Not that McGuyver types would struggle to make this mod.to a 2262H.
    You got that right!

Those wanting a 12" version of 2216nd have only to modify the 2262H ( in the same way the 2265H was modified into a 2216nd ) .

The 2213nd-2 could be a good candidate as it apparently sports the same TCR voice coil material as the 2216nd, which is supposedly the main responsible for its highly dynamic/uncompressed sound:
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post405802

No specific plans Ed, I was just curious... that JBL did not see fit to make a smaller M2.
    Hi Macaroonie,
    Yeah, I have been curious along the same lines to the point finding the JBL 6332's 12" also the JBL 6312SP (but the latter having a "two ohm" impedance) and the
    12" JBL 252G which can be got at speakerex, for not too much, considering..

My curiousity comes about having two 2342's with a couple of spare 2426 to mate with them and not knowing just where to go from here... with the proliferation
    of drivers and their re-cones so easy to get nowadays!... really cuts into the fun at times. And I read somewhere that our dear Widget seemed to say that the
    4430/35 crossovers nearly impossible to make, I fear the 4425's may have the same outcome. [surely not??]
    Rather than flog everything onto the 'bay scrap-pond there must be a better choice for these overgrown paper weights! [pun]
    I would consider making a franken-whatever with the 2202's I have that suffer from v.c. rub [even though only a little] seeing they are 12" but what else fits in
    the way of recone for a good bass driver..???
    I mean, I hate being spoilt for choice..!??

Kind Regards,
    DogBox [steve]

Thread Information