Thread: De Vore Fidelity

De Vore Fidelity

Colleagues:

Earlier this week my beloved Spouse and I took a short trip around the beautiful Hood Canal and as luck would have it stopped for lunch in the tony town of Gig Harbor, home of a vinyl-high end type audio store. On hand were a pair of DeVore 0/93 speakers all hooked up and ready to go.What could I do? I had to listen to them. As it so happened I had a vinyl record with me.

The 0/93 is a fairly large box approx 35 /36 inches high by about 15 W and 10 inches deep. In side are a 10 inch bass / mid and a 1 inch soft dome coupled ti a short horn, similar to the Cerwin-Vega dorm of years past, and priced at a hefty $8k a pair. I had read about them in various publications where in the audio-phool reviewers had to change his trousers after the review.

I was now prepared to be swept away to audio nervana.......except I wasn't. I was not impressed. These things were simply not that good, I'm used to listening to 3 JBL 4410's for the front and that is my reference point, In that room the 0/93 was for me close to unlistenable. I can't understand it.

If anyone here has heard these things I'd welcome hearing their impression. As for now I think anyone who buys these things got swindled.

Keep on Listening.

Ed
    KEEP ON LISTENING!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Kreamer View Post
    I'm used to listening to 3 JBL 4410's for the front and that is my reference point,
    4410 is a hard reference point to beat

I do wonder how many of those "hirsute speakers" have been sold

maybe the big bux are in the veneers ?

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Iss..._orangutan.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Love Gig Harbor Audio.

Indeed it is. I've had them work on my Sony 756 and they did an outstanding job. They will occasionally have listening parties with 7 Seas Brewing Co. which is located across the street. They make a killer dark ale called Cascade I think. I wasn't attempting to denigrate the place, just questioning the De Vore speakers and they outrageous prices asked for them.

Keep on Listening
    KEEP ON LISTENING!

I have auditioned a pair of these at a local shop, and understanding their limitations thought they were fine.

This particular model is specifically designed for use with SET transformer coupled tube amplifiers that have high output impedance. The pair I heard was running with an 845/211 SET amplifier in a well set up room. There was both digital and analogue sources, and as you might expect the TT was the preferred source.

The system created a huge soundstage with all the music behind the speakers, and the speakers themselves just completely disappeared, both things surprising me. I assumed the large baffles would make them obvious in the room but that was not the case at all. I'm generally not a fan of SET amplifiers except maybe combined with some vintage Altec speakers, so I wasn't crazy about them, but I understand why people are drawn to the warm and musical way they sound. Magic midrange. If I lived in an apartment where I had to be cognizant of neighbors, I could be happy with that setup playing jazz records late at night. It was hygge!
    Last edited by rusty jefferson; 09-21-2019 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Spelling!

Thread Information