Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 74

Thread: Does charge coupling really work?

  1. #16
    Administrator Robh3606's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Rocinante
    Posts
    7,983
    had ignored the batteries alone for years thinking they weren't doing anything they had gone dead ...I WAS WRONG!
    I should probably replace mine as well!

    Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

  2. #17
    Administrator Mr. Widget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    9,982
    Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    I should probably replace mine as well!

    Rob
    Anecdotally I had a similar experience with my DD66000s... after several years of enjoying them I thought they were starting to sound a bit harsh and brittle. After some head scratching, I checked the batteries and they were several years past their expiration date. I replaced them and musical bliss came back.


    Widget

  3. #18
    Senior Member martin_wu99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Xi'An,China
    Posts
    1,485
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Anecdotally I had a similar experience with my DD66000s... after several years of enjoying them I thought they were starting to sound a bit harsh and brittle. After some head scratching, I checked the batteries and they were several years past their expiration date. I replaced them and musical bliss came back.


    Widget
    Am i wrong that CC network in DD66000 without battery at all?
    46 lover

  4. #19
    Senior Member martin_wu99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Xi'An,China
    Posts
    1,485
    After so many years,there is still a debate on CC network,is there any method to measure CC network?
    46 lover

  5. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    247
    Yes, the existence or non-existence of measurements was part of my initial question. As a convinced disbeliever in anything that can't be realized by our five senses or measured by any means or proven scientifically, I wouldn't have asked if I had found papers with valid measurements (e.g. DBT's) that prove the benefit.

    Best regards!

  6. #21
    Senior Member Ian Mackenzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    7,124
    Well the difference with the Solen 250V Fast Caps is plainly obvious.

    If you don't believe it nobody cares and no one gets hurt.

    Technically the steady state distortion measures a bit higher in charge coupled mode. But you are talking 0.00X %.

    The problem as I see it is the dielectric which imparts vibrations or resonances at certain frequencies. Its mechanical.

    If the dielectric is resonating that will impact on the capacitance at particularly frequencies and smear the sound.

    So the vibrations are modulating the signal like a feedback loop.

    This is exactly what I hear in the case of the Solen Fast Caps.

    The DC sets up a charge on the dielectric and changes the tension on the windings anode/cathode.

    This reduces the vibrations.

    If you care to run a charge coupled crossover into a dummy load with a sine wave a 1 khertz these vibrations are quite audible. (be careful not to touch the terminations as this may result in an electric shock)

    I have build the diode rectifier version for other people and not had a complaint.

  7. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wash DC suburbs
    Posts
    1,206
    I have been to a couple "high end" shops, one place the owner ceramic wire holder to keep them off the floor, bells around the room that change resonances or something and also powered cables and who knows what else. he had me a-b some of his stuff , I couldn't hear a difference when turned off something...he swore he could , "you cant hear that?" the honest answer was no...This I hear.
    Think center channel for 250TIs; (2) 108s, a 104 and a 44ti, now what?

  8. #23
    Administrator Mr. Widget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    9,982
    Quote Originally Posted by martin_wu99 View Post
    Am i wrong that CC network in DD66000 without battery at all?
    Yes, you are wrong.
    You must be thinking of the DD67000.


    Widget

  9. #24
    Administrator Mr. Widget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    9,982
    Quote Originally Posted by opimax View Post
    I have been to a couple "high end" shops, one place the owner ceramic wire holder to keep them off the floor, bells around the room that change resonances or something and also powered cables and who knows what else. he had me a-b some of his stuff , I couldn't hear a difference when turned off something...he swore he could , "you cant hear that?" the honest answer was no...This I hear.
    Been there too... you wonít get a disagreement from me. More over, I have heard differences in some ďfancyĒ cables with fat networks on them where I thought plain wire sounded better.


    Widget

  10. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wash DC suburbs
    Posts
    1,206
    1 other time I heard a big difference was when Maple Shade interconnects were tested on my system, . Very expensive and too fragile for my use. I may splurge when I move soon to retirement and know they wont be moved EVER, scarred they will get ripped in my life style and moves and such.

    Mine are nothing special at all and do have room for improvement but surprised how much it improved..nothing has helped with speaker wire or AC wires

    All of this is to my ears, your mileage may be different

    PS Largest improvement of all is when my tinnitus is on a "low" on any given day
    Think center channel for 250TIs; (2) 108s, a 104 and a 44ti, now what?

  11. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    247
    Quote Originally Posted by opimax View Post
    PS Largest improvement of all is when my tinnitus is on a "low" on any given day
    Fully seconded !

    Best regards!

  12. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Ca
    Posts
    483
    Quote Originally Posted by kelossus View Post
    Kenrick will make you charge couple networks if you are willing to pay for it. Given they use the upper range of Jantzen's and Mundorfs the cost to make them would be insane, even by Kenrick's standards.

    The designer of the networks seems to think they are an improvement. Given your questionable posts in the past, your obvious biases and overall lack of knowledge your opinion is worthless.

    I am not even going to bother asking if you have heard a pair of biased networks. If you have I guarantee you went in with the preconceived notion that its all bullshit.

    To all other members/guests perusing the forum please disregard Challenger604's post.

    Obviously laughable comment... at least you don’t scream!! ... Yes! I heard both 4355’s. Mine, non coupled and a friend’s pair. The coupled sounds very bad...

  13. #28
    Administrator Mr. Widget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    9,982
    Quote Originally Posted by Challenger604 View Post
    The coupled sounds very bad...
    It would seem then, that the charge coupled pair were poorly executed. At a minimum there should be no difference in sound.


    Widget

  14. #29
    Senior Member Ian Mackenzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    7,124
    Quote Originally Posted by Challenger604 View Post
    Obviously laughable comment... at least you donít scream!! ... Yes! I heard both 4355ís. Mine, non coupled and a friendís pair. The coupled sounds very bad...

    Okay.

    What active crossover are you using?

    If itís an old Jbl 5234, 5235 or any of the other pro pa active crossovers itís not surprising.

    On the other hand are they equipped with oldĒ compression driver diaphragms.

    There are too many variables to cast a judgement like a line in the sand.

    Without fully understanding the whole system itís difficult to express one view over another.

    That is why people are now spending more time watching YouTube, webinars and then trying it for themselves.

    Itís not surprising the hifi industry refers to people with opinions on forums as keyboard warriors.

    The odd of taking away some facts are remote.

    If Greg Timbers says it works then that is fact.

    Everything else is noise.

  15. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Ca
    Posts
    483
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Okay.

    What active crossover are you using?

    If itís an old Jbl 5234, 5235 or any of the other pro pa active crossovers itís not surprising.

    On the other hand are they equipped with oldĒ compression driver diaphragms.

    There are too many variables to cast a judgement like a line in the sand.

    Without fully understanding the whole system itís difficult to express one view over another.

    That is why people are now spending more time watching YouTube, webinars and then trying it for themselves.

    Itís not surprising the hifi industry refers to people with opinions on forums as keyboard warriors.

    The odd of taking away some facts are remote.

    If Greg Timbers says it works then that is fact.

    Everything else is noise.
    Both, mine and his are with 5234A with the right cards, all original alu compressions with everything the same with drivers.

    Even the same amplifiers as both are big fans of SAE.

    Big difference between the two...

    With all due respect for Timbers and nothing against him but I trust my hearing.

    BTW, he must know how many pairs of 4355ís have been built! Subject of another topic!

    It is amazing how not having the same opinion, in this forum, produce vile reactions similar to antifa! Very annoying...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Charge coupling cap asymmetry
    By honkytonkwillie in forum Lansing Product Technical Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-22-2016, 04:11 PM
  2. Charge Coupling vs non CC with boutique caps
    By martin2395 in forum Lansing Product DIY Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-10-2015, 10:56 AM
  3. Charge Coupling on the Cheap
    By Ian Mackenzie in forum Lansing Product DIY Forum
    Replies: 196
    Last Post: 10-21-2006, 09:31 AM
  4. Charge Coupling on the Cheap
    By Ian Mackenzie in forum Lansing Product General Information
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 12-15-2005, 07:02 AM
  5. Biasing, Charge coupling
    By Guido in forum Lansing Product General Information
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-07-2005, 10:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •