Thread: 4345 Clones

4345 Clones

Since everyone else was building these, I figured I had to also. The cabinets are almost an exact copy except they are baltic birch, teak veneer and the port outlets are flared. I made a little mistake when I was routering the ports so rounding the edge of the port hid it, and it seems like most new speakers have flared ports.

The drivers are 2245H, 2123H, 2440, and 2405. The lens is a L94 with a 2311 horn. I am running an active crossover, the front foilcal is just for looks.

My previous speakers were basically the same except they had dual 2226 instead of the single 2245. I think I lost some punch but gained some low end. I'm not sure what I like better.

The 2245s were re-coned years ago and were never used, I think they need time to break in also.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by robertg View Post
    Since everyone else was building these, I figured I had to also. The cabinets are almost an exact copy except they are baltic birch, teak veneer and the port outlets are flared. I made a little mistake when I was routering the ports so rounding the edge of the port hid it, and it seems like most new speakers have flared ports.

The drivers are 2245H, 2123H, 2440, and 2405. The lens is a L94 with a 2311 horn. I am running an active crossover, the front foilcal is just for looks.

My previous speakers were basically the same except they had dual 2226 instead of the single 2245. I think I lost some punch but gained some low end. I'm not sure what I like better.

The 2245s were re-coned years ago and were never used, I think they need time to break in also.
    Very nice looking... good luck finding the right home. They are not bookshelf speakers, but somewhere there is a large room needing a pair of these!

Widget

Very Nice Robert!

I think the room is 10 1/2’ x 22’. It originally was two bedrooms that I made in to my office. My living room is a better room for these, I think it’s 14’ x24’, however I already have two sets of speakers in there that I never use. I have my Hartsfields in the corners.

Earl, I used your old horns in these.

Hopefully this is the last pair of speakers that I will ever make, however I have said that many times.

I think the room is 10 1/2’ x 22’. It originally was two bedrooms that I made in to my office. My living room is a better room for these, I think it’s 14’ x24’, however I already have two sets of speakers in there that I never use. I have my Hartsfields in the corners.

Earl, I used your old horns in these.

Hopefully this is the last pair of speakers that I will ever make, however I have said that many times.

Nice! I'm glad those 2311's are going to good use. I like the usage of the L94 lens.

Very nice!

Have you purchased or made a rack?
    43XX (2235-2123-2450-2405-CC 3155)5235-4412-4406-4401-L250-18Ti-L40-S109 Aquarius lV-C38 (030) 305P MkII

Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post
    Very nice!

Have you purchased or made a rack?
    I made that. The first speakers that I built were a rough copy of a JBL C35, I wanted the rack to look like them.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Ok, nice job.
    43XX (2235-2123-2450-2405-CC 3155)5235-4412-4406-4401-L250-18Ti-L40-S109 Aquarius lV-C38 (030) 305P MkII

Clones? For Real!

The cabinets are almost an exact copy....

Hi Robert,

They certainly look beautiful to me! And those lens's...Oh My! Such Extravagance! So Lovely! Those ports look terrific! I don't know why you question yourself..?

And "Teak", did you say? You have ticked every box for , except, maybe, acrylic Prism Phase Plugs! Totally Over TheTop but you've done everything else, why not?

How do the 2440's sound instead of the 2420/2425 stock units?

I think they are just stunning and wouldn't call them Clones but, as you say "almost an exact copy.." Damn close, if you ask me..

Kind Regards,
    DogBox [Steve]

4345 clones

Hi RobertG

I didn't realize in prior posts that you had made the cabinets yourself, you did an outstanding job! You mentioned you have Hartsfields did you made those cabinets too?

Quote Originally Posted by DogBox View Post

Hi Robert,
    How do the 2440's sound instead of the 2420/2425 stock units?
    Kind Regards,
    DogBox [Steve]
    Ive never heard a pair of 4345s with stock drivers, so I can't compare. I had a pair of homemade speakers that had the same drivers as these except the low end was 2 2226 15" woofers. These sound a little better, but I think the dual 15" speakers had more punch.

Quote Originally Posted by rdiiorio View Post
    Hi RobertG

I didn't realize in prior posts that you had made the cabinets yourself, you did an outstanding job! You mentioned you have Hartsfields did you made those cabinets too?
    Yes, I made a pair of Hartsfields a few years ago. If you are thinking of doing it, I wouldn't recommend it, way too much work.

2226 Surprising..

Quote Originally Posted by robertg;
    I had a pair of homemade speakers that had the same drivers as these except the low end was 2 2226 15" woofers...., but I think the dual 15" speakers had more punch.
    Hey Robert,

The more I have looked at where JBL have used the 2226 and the differing applications; they are quite a driver! To know you have 'paired' the 2226 - JBL did in
    Subwoofer duty!, I can only imagine how punchy and the authority they would have had - especially being in a Pair!
    How many cu.ft/Litres were the cabs? Did you just use active crossover or did you find something else?
    When used in double configuration, I think the result would surprise a lot of people..!??

DogBox

Quote Originally Posted by DogBox View Post
    Hey Robert,

The more I have looked at where JBL have used the 2226 and the differing applications; they are quite a driver! To know you have 'paired' the 2226 - JBL did in
    Subwoofer duty!, I can only imagine how punchy and the authority they would have had - especially being in a Pair!
    How many cu.ft/Litres were the cabs? Did you just use active crossover or did you find something else?
    When used in double configuration, I think the result would surprise a lot of people..!??

DogBox
    The cabinets were 8 cubic feet, and I used an active crossover. They were used under 300 hz, and I thought the box was tuned to around 45 hz or so. Thats the same way these ones were set up, I like an active crossover because I can experiment with it.

Thread Information