Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JBL 123A-1 recone

JBL 123A-1 recone

hi folks,
    so it seems I can not find a recone for 123A-1. All others are easy but I can not get an answer on the "FIT INTO" for these drivers. I don't want to just put in any after market recone that might or might not be correct.Help please.thanks

The following is the recone I would consider using ( assuming an original from JBL can't be sourced ).

(Click the pic for the link)

The fact that it comes pre-assembled as well as having a cone painted with a plastic/aquaplas substitute moves it ahead of the pack ( IMO ).

I have seen a couple. Any reviews on the following?
    Upland - https://www.ebay.com/itm/27447408505...fR9Am&LH_BIN=1
    Hempopotamus - https://www.ebay.com/itm/18417719768...atxJI&LH_BIN=1
    Speaker exchange - https://reconingspeakers.com/product...ed-recone-kit/

They all have the aquaplas stuff, but vary a lot in price. I don't mind spending more, but I thought it would be best to get reviews on these.
    It seems kits for 2213, 2213H, 123A-1 and 123A-3 are pretty much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    The following is the recone I would consider using ( assuming an original from JBL can't be sourced ).

(Click the pic for the link)

The fact that it comes pre-assembled as well as having a cone painted with a plastic/aquaplas substitute moves it ahead of the pack ( IMO ).

As always, Ken's kit (Upland) comes with the best credentials.

If the factory kit were still available, very few would take issue with paying more for it. This would seem to be possibly even better than the final kits from JBL. I'm betting you could give Edgewound a call or a PM here and ask questions, if needed.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Managed to get Ken's kit and got it professionally reconed. Comparing it with older JBL 123A-3s, I found the reconed version a lot stiffer when pushing the cone in and the cone itself seems heavier/thicker. Are these expected results from reconing or refurbishing speakers?
    Overall it does produce sightly lower DB levels than the older non-reconed versions. Should I be expecting some break in period?
    I am guessing the non-reconed ones will have more prominant mids, hence shows a higher average DB output?

Yes you should be expecting some break in period with some good bass program material, or using LF test tones.

With a proper cone kit, cone mass should be about the same. What kit have you purchased exactly?

Since you have an older and a new, it would be interesting for you to measure DC resistance on the older non-reconed and also on the newly reconed driver to compare results between the two. Without instruments an ohm meter is about the only thing that will allow you to check something.

Normally for a good reproduction results should be similar between woofers, and within JBL's DCR spec range i have. This doesn't tell the whole story, but you'd get an idea on driver electrical aspect. Post your measured results and we'll see.

@RMC, thanks for the response. Ended up getting Upland - https://www.ebay.com/itm/27447408505...fR9Am&LH_BIN=1.

I actually can't measure the difference in weight, it just feels heavier when I tap on it and compare sounds, but could be due to the difference in stiffness of the surround, spider and magnet strength.

Overall DC resistance on the reconed ones hit 5 Ohms and for the older original non-reconed working pair about 4.7 Ohms, which probably explains a slight difference in sound DB level.

Hopefully this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    Yes you should be expecting some break in period with some good bass program material, or using LF test tones.

With a proper cone kit, cone mass should be about the same. What kit have you purchased exactly?

Since you have an older and a new, it would be interesting for you to measure DC resistance on the older non-reconed and also on the newly reconed driver to compare results between the two. Without instruments an ohm meter is about the only thing that will allow you to check something.

Normally for a good reproduction results should be similar between woofers, and within JBL's DCR spec range i have. This doesn't tell the whole story, but you'd get an idea on driver electrical aspect. Post your measured results and we'll see.

JBL factory DCR spec for the 123A-3 is min. 4.5 and max. 5.5 ohms. So your data is in the range. That's a good start.

That's great. Will keep testing it after a break-in period. Hopefully it will the same or better.

Quote Originally Posted by Donzash View Post
    That's great. Will keep testing it after a break-in period. Hopefully it will the same or better.
    Thank you very much for your purchase!

It will take 30-40 hours of playtime to break-in. Of course a new cloth surround speaker will be stiff when new. Your recone professional should know that.

https://www.facebook.com/UplandLouds...63094677114282
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Thanks for the response. I am sure the speaker repair professional knows it, but unfortunately I didn't.
    I will go through the required break in period.

Out of curiosity, were the cones built from the ground up or did you use a JBL original cone and applied the aquaplas based on the JBL tollerances and specifications?Out of curiosity, were the cones built from the ground up or did you use a JBL cone and applied the aquaplas based on the JBL tolerances and specifications?

Thumbs up

Nice video on a 123a-1 recone

Quote Originally Posted by Donzash View Post
    Thanks for the response. I am sure the speaker repair professional knows it, but unfortunately I didn't.
    I will go through the required break in period.

Out of curiosity, were the cones built from the ground up or did you use a JBL original cone and applied the aquaplas based on the JBL tollerances and specifications?Out of curiosity, were the cones built from the ground up or did you use a JBL cone and applied the aquaplas based on the JBL tolerances and specifications?
    Click on the Facebook link for the videos of the process I go through to produce this particular kit. It's pretty tedious. JBL stopped producing C8R2213 about ten years ago, when the retail price was $300.00.

Actually...I had forgotten I uploaded the main video to YouTube on the build process. Here'tis...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUM3sHFnRNo
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    Click on the Facebook link for the videos of the process I go through to produce this particular kit. It's pretty tedious. JBL stopped producing C8R2213 about ten years ago, when the retail price was $300.00.

Actually...I had forgotten I uploaded the main video to YouTube on the build process. Here'tis...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUM3sHFnRNo
    I might be completely off the mark here.

Outside of buying off the shelf parts and aqua-plasing the cone (which in the video looks incredibly inconsistent, large dents clearly visible) what exactly are you doing differently? I think this a fair question as nothing was really answered in that video. Not having a dig but the video only sparks more questions than answers.

Quote Originally Posted by kelossus View Post
    I might be completely off the mark here.

Outside of buying off the shelf parts and aqua-plasing the cone (which in the video looks incredibly inconsistent, large dents clearly visible) what exactly are you doing differently? I think this a fair question as nothing was really answered in that video. Not having a dig but the video only sparks more questions than answers.
    Regarding the cosmetics of the aquaplas coating, I'll grant you that the example is not as imperfection free as a vintage factory made cone, but Edgewound is using the correct material and carefully applying and weighing the cone to make sure it is within spec. The aquaplas material is a PITA to work with and I'll give Edgewound the benefit of the doubt that his application is done as well as can be done in a non-factory setting. I doubt any of the alternative white coned recone kits are using the actual Blachford Acoustics manufactured "aquaplas" that JBL has used.

Beyond the hand coated cone, Edgewound is selecting a voicecoil, spider, and surround that most closely match the original spec. From anecdotal reports most available recone kits are pieced together from available parts with little regard to the original specifications. In fact most recone kit makers do not even know what the original specifications were. They are simply supplying parts that will fit a given speaker and look more or less correct.

So what Edgewound is doing is bringing his decades of skill and knowledge to the table to assemble the closest possible reproduction recone kits. Is it worth the cost? I guess that depends on the potential buyer.

Widget

Thread Information