View Poll Results: What should be done with my L150A's?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leave them as they are.

4 44.44%
  • Sell them and buy L220's

2 22.22%
  • Sell them and buy L240Ti's

3 33.33%
  • Swap tweeters from 044's to 044ti's

0 0%
  • Swap Xover networks

0 0%
  • Swap tweeters & Xover networks

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: More Help with L150A's: Tweeter & Crossover Swap Advice Wanted

You know Derek, I voted that you ( eventually ) sell those 150's and instead pursue making up some L220's ( on steroids ) .

Here are the boxes to start you off ( available at a very low price in Cdn $$ even ).

More stuff for sale by alnico

- Looks like the wrong foams on the wrong side of the cone ( but that's not a deal breaker ( IMHO ).

Your challenge is to convince him to ship all these parts ( including the networks and passive 15" drones ) to Windsor via Greyhound Buss Parcel Express ( or similar ).

Then you cross-over from Detroit to Windsor to pick them up.

The boxes and networks would get you going on making some high-output 1970's, rock & roll pounders.

Earl , you are the whizz

Thanks for the response Earl!

I saw that listing.. But, shipping is a PITA, especially for those who already state that they do not want to ship their item(s). Then paying them to pack that stuff properly quickly eats into the budget and there is still risk of further damage to items. Not to mention I then get to deal with customs...

If that stuff was local, I'd definitely consider purchasing them. Having empty cabinets that I could rehabilitate are the first step. They both look to be in good shape except for the bottom of one, not sure if the veneer is separating or just faded. That kind of restoration is beyond my abilities, I'm much more proficient with turning wrenches and figuring mechanical things out, not to mention I have 0 wood working tools and knowledge...

Did you guys look at the link for those 240Ti's? What are your opinions?

Cheers,

Derek

It’s only an 11-12 hour road trip each way.... come on man, you can do it!

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post

Widget

Road trips this time of year can certainly be a lot of fun.

Quebec City is a beautiful place to visit in summer.

But "I get it" if someone can't or prefers not to travel for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post

Widget
    FNA big guy you are so right !!

Check this out

https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=JBL+240ti

There's yer real world value of 240's , cut a deal with the seller @ $550 and drive home grinning

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    FNA big guy you are so right !!

Check this out

https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=JBL+240ti

There's yer real world value of 240's , cut a deal with the seller @ $550 and drive home grinning

Those worldwide hifiShark values would indicate to me that the seller has already reasonably priced his 240's at around $700.00 if I remember correctly ( even with 104H-2 substitutes ).

PS; I still think that Derek should make a custom/econowave based on a pair of le14a woofers ( too bad Zilch isn't here to help ).
    - There are now so many good sub $100. compression drivers that it's hard to choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    Those worldwide hifiShark values would indicate to me that the seller has already reasonably priced his 240's at around $700.00 if I remember correctly ( even with 104H-2 substitutes ).

PS; I still think that Derek should make a custom/econowave based on a pair of le14a woofers ( too bad Zilch isn't here to help ).
    - There are now so many good sub $100. compression drivers that it's hard to choose.
    The seller wants 600 yankee dollah , erm I say darn good deal.
    I'm with you in many ways with your latter suggestion , yup drop in a PTHF1010 and a 2450sl and DSP it into audio nirvana. All based on boxes @$600.
    No Brainer IMO

Talking of Zilch , nip over to AK and look at the stats on the econowave . The man is a legend !!

Well, I think that ship has sailed. Guy got miffed at my explanation for my offer of $500. Eh, if he had responded I guess I'd have conceded to $600. The cabinets, while scuffed and such, did not have any dents or bruises. That is big to me, as I can fix little stuff (as I have started to with the cab's on my L150A's) but the dents and such are beyond my level. Guess it was better this way, I ended up using the time I'd have spent getting those speakers to replace the water pump in my wife's truck.

As for the L220 cabinets only being a 24 round trip, I've had several bad experiences with customs when coming back with stuff. Both times they tore my car apart and damaged door panels and scratched interior trim. Then of course they essentially told me to pound sand when I sent in a reimbursement request for the damage done. I purposefully drive old stuff from the early EFI, pushrod & single camshaft era, so I'm already a target. Just isn't feasible considering the potential damage tariff & detainment I'd have to endure & the expense on gas. Might as well just pay $400 for cabinets locally, if I wanted to go that route.

Thread Information