Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hartsfield woofer

Hartsfield woofer

I have a pair of 2220's and a pair of LE15a's. Without knowing the t/s parameters on the 150-4's, I am assuming that the 2220's would probably be the best choice for the Hartsfield woofers? I understand that the LE15's were offered as an upgrade during a period in the 60's?

Thanks

paragon

2220 or Le15 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Banks
    I have a pair of 2220's and a pair of LE15a's. Without knowing the t/s parameters on the 150-4's, I am assuming that the 2220's would probably be the best choice for the Hartsfield woofers? I understand that the LE15's were offered as an upgrade during a period in the 60's?

Thanks
    Try both woofers. The 2220 is a very high efficient driver and the LE 15A is a low Frequency driver with a low Qts with a little loss of loudness (?). Both will work in the Hartsfield.
    Use the one you like.

Eckhard

I think both will work!

It will come down to what sounds best to you, the LE15A will have more deep bass extension, the 2220 wont go as deep but will have more slam!

Of course, if you go with the LE15a, you might lose a bit of loudness, as it isnt as efficient as the 2220,s! But you gotta try em both see what you like best!

scottyj

Thanks! I have been running the LE15's and thought I would give the 2220's a shot. Swapping is getting easier even though the cabinets are "heavier than a dead hippy". I am still trying to iron out my latest ebay fraud episode involving a so called NOS driver. Apparently it can also mean Neglected Old Sh-t.

I agree!

You have figured out the true definition of " NOS "! Neglected Old Sh_t!

scottyj

Hmmmm,

The link suggests E-145 or K-145 as suitable.

Enticing thought, that is....

145,s!

My guess is that the K or E 145 might be the closest type of woofer to the 150-4. Both the E and K 145 are rated to 300 watts!
    scottyj

Which version Hartsfield enclosures?

59 or later cofffin back style which load from rear or early toploaders?

The 145 is the preferred speaker.

I would think that the 2220 would outpreform the Le15.

Has your LE15 had the original "Lans-a-loy" surround replaced?

Sorry for more questions than answers-Inquiring minds want to know

Oldmics

I built the Hartsfields from the 1959 JBL plans. Rear coffin style. Quite a challange! I felt the speakers deserved something more exotic than walnut or mahogany so I ended up using African bubinga.
    The LE15's were reconed when I purchased them on ebay. They looked great but alas one of the voice coils was rubbing. I had it tweaked at the service center in Portland and installed it in the Hartsfield. It lasted a short while and let out a sound like a 12 gauge shotgun. Back to Portland for a recone job. I haven't done very well on ebay. What was advertised as a pair of 375's turned out to be one 375 and one Dukane 5A360. In my latest attempt at finding a mate for the mismatch I bid what was said to be a NOS 2482. It appears that someone dropped the thing years ago, so it was never put into service. The throat has a fracture and there are scuff marks at what is probably the point of impact. The funny part is that the shipping box wasn't damaged. Where I come from they call this fraud. The seller tried saying it was my fault. "I dropped it to collect the insurance." Insurance wasn't available. Another fine ebay deal!
    Dirty Harry once said "a guy has to know his limitations". I know mine and they have been reached. Hartsfields anyone?

Sidebar rant:

Fodder for another thread, perhaps, but I'm gettin' burned on eBay more often than not, of late. Seems most everything I purchase on there I gotta fix once it gets here, or return and pray for a refund, usually eating the return shipping.

My conclusion: if it wasn't screwed up one way or another, they wouldn't be dumpin' it on eBay. Bid accordingly, and be pleasantly surprised if it doesn't require major overhaul.

The up side is often they're just ignorant of what it actually takes to refurbish. Some tech told them it wasn't worth fixing, so they list it. It'd sure be good if they actually STATED the problem truthfully, tho.

I'm amazed at how dishonest sellers are when it comes to turning trash into cash. When I confront them on it, "You got a good deal" is the stock response.

Well, maybe. But they're still coprophagous frauds....

jcdahl
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody Banks
    I built the Hartsfields from the 1959 JBL plans. Rear coffin style. Quite a challange! I felt the speakers deserved something more exotic than walnut or mahogany so I ended up using African bubinga.

Dirty Harry once said "a guy has to know his limitations". I know mine and they have been reached. Hartsfields anyone?
    Do you have any photos of them? What kind of finish have you used on the bubinga?

Do you want to sell them?

Hartsfields

I will attempt to attach a couple of photos of the Hartsfields. The bubinga has several coats of Watco Danish oil right now. I will probably do a polyurethane finish come spingtime. It needs to be warmer and dryer for a decent job.
    And YES, I am serious about selling the Hartsfields. I do however want to finish my quest at finding a mate for the mid driver. Currently I have one 375 and one DuKane 5A360. I am looking for either and will sell the odd one out.
    Hmmmm. It seems that the photo file was too large to attach. I will email you some if you like.

jcdahl
    I would prefer the natural danish oil without polyurethane. I have 375s, 075s, and LE15s to put in them. They are from a Paragon, so I don't have the Hartsfield lenses for the 375s.

Huh ????

What was advertised as a pair of 375's turned out to be one 375 and one Dukane 5A360.
    According to my old JBL Notes :

- The Dukane 5A360 takes the same aluminum diaphragm as the 375. The "A" in 5A360 indicates an aluminum diaphragm . Have you opened up the back of this Dukane driver to see what sort of diaphragm it encloses ? Does this Dukane driver still have the "5A360" badge on it ?

- The Dukane 5P360 uses the phenolic domed 2482 diaphragm. The "P" stands for phenolic.

- This "A" and "P" nomencature also holds true for the smaller format Dukane drivers.

In my latest attempt at finding a mate for the mismatch I bid what was said to be a NOS 2482.
    Why this driver ??? - unless you've seen a phenolic diaphragm in an actual "5A360" . And if that's the case - more confusion follows ???

<. Earl K

PS ; 1000hz (hipass) pink-noise or sinewave testing will tell you these drivers HF roll-off. From there , you can make informed assumptions about what diaphragms are installed in your drivers .

Thread Information