Thread: Altec 604-8G + JBL 2240... ???

Altec 604-8G + JBL 2240... ???

Good morning everyone, I am a complete beginner and for this I need your help please, I have at home a couple of Altec 604-8G (with their crossovers) and a pair of JBLs 2240, it is worth making a cabinet for these 2 speakers? I imagine I could use a good crossover to leave a 3-way system ... is it an idiot idea? Will it work? My amplifier is a Krell KST-100, any suggestion is welcome!

Best regards from Rio de Janeiro Brazil!

Hi There + Welcome!

Adding a dedicated bass driver to the 604 would be a good idea.
    I believe it could be made to sound great. The 2240 would add some nice ( + missing ) weight to the bottom end of the 604 system.

I would recommend the 604 in something like a 3.5 - 4.0cu' sealed cabinet to emphasize that woofers transient response.

The JBL 2240H could be in something like 8cu' ported box tuned to 35hz ( with a 3rd order LowPass filter set to roll-off a 50hz ) .

( IMHO ) I also believe it would be a pretty bad idea for an inexperienced builder to put it all into one mammoth cabinet without being able to know it will all work first ( by using test cabinets ).
    - There's quite an efficiency mismatch ( once the lowpass filter is in place ) between these 2 woofer types,
    - This will necessitate the running of the JBL 18s off of a separate amplifier ( ie; Bi-Amping ).

Here's a screen shot of WinISD prediction software showing that to get the 2240H just to match the 604 level takes more than twice as many watts ( hence the need to use a separate amp for the 18 incher).

Name:  JBL 2240h to Altec 604G.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  108.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    Hi There + Welcome!

Adding a dedicated bass driver to the 604 would be a good idea.
    I believe it could be made to sound great. The 2240 would add some nice ( + missing ) weight to the bottom end of the 604 system.

I would recommend the 604 in something like a 3.5 - 4.0cu' sealed cabinet to emphasize that woofers transient response.

The JBL 2240H could be in something like 8cu' ported box tuned to 35hz ( with a 3rd order LowPass filter set to roll-off a 50hz ) .

( IMHO ) I also believe it would be a pretty bad idea for an inexperienced builder to put it all into one mammoth cabinet without being able to know it will all work first ( by using test cabinets ).
    - There's quite an efficiency mismatch ( once the lowpass filter is in place ) between these 2 woofer types,
    - This will necessitate the running of the JBL 18s off of a separate amplifier ( ie; Bi-Amping ).

Here's a screen shot of WinISD prediction software showing that to get the 2240H just to match the 604 level takes more than twice as many watts ( hence the need to use a separate amp for the 18 incher).

Name:  JBL 2240h to Altec 604G.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  108.4 KB

475/5000

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]EXCELLENT !, this gives me good and bad news at the same time, the good thing is that at some point I could use 2240h in some kind of a large subwoofer box (if my wife doesn't kill me first) and I would definitely use a second amplifier, I think For the first time I will look for a box only for my 604-8Gs that has the best possible serious response (I know it will be a very large box), does anyone have a model that is not too much resembling a coffin?

[/COLOR]

Welcome,Brazil friend,
    I think add a UHF(such as 2405) is more helpful
    46 lover

Thread Information