Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Replacement diaphragm options for 2425J

Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    The alcohol bottle seen on your pic seems like regular one 70%?? From your experiment do you feel it might have been easier for you if you had stronger (more concentrated) alcohol, i.e. felt yours lacking in solvent power??
    I used an old bottle I had around. It is 91% Isopropyl I've had it so long I think the price tag on it was something like 45˘! Can't really remember what I used the last time. Don't think it was alcohol but some other cleaner. The alcohol did a pretty good job and didn't require as much work as I remember when I did my L80Ts.

I actually used 3M adhesive remover for the rotted foam plug in the 2425J. Didn't try it on the 2122H, for some reason.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

All done, I have my living room back!

Not a lot of adjustment in the 2122H surrounds. Luckily they fit perfectly. Thanks to Rick Cobb for another success. Ran the 30Hz tone just for the heck of it, with no issues. There's just not a lot of room around this basket to fit the surround or glue in either step. Battery-charging the coil helped a little bit. I'm glad it's all over and not really in a hurry to do the other side just yet. No visible damage to that one and I'm not touching it until I'm ready to replace it.

I think when it's time do do the 18's, I might make a road trip to a pro. Any suggestions on the East Coast? Gordon W?

". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Member here, OLDMICS runs Scavenger Sound (a pro sound company) near B'More and is a JBL agent. If that's not too far to go, he's been doing my surrounds and recone work for years . Recommended

Quote Originally Posted by rusty jefferson View Post
    Member here, OLDMICS runs Scavenger Sound (a pro sound company) near B'More and is a JBL agent. If that's not too far to go, he's been doing my surrounds and recone work for years . Recommended
    Thanks.

When the time comes—and with enough advance communication—maybe he can even handle it while I wait.

I seem to have all my experience in 10-inch drivers. I still have six 12-inch to do, and two 14-inchers, too. Not sure I trust myself on the Eighteens!

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I seem to have all my experience in 10-inch drivers. I still have six 12-inch to do, and two 14-inchers, too. Not sure I trust myself on the Eighteens!
    I have never reconed any woofers, but I imagine the 18" woofers are a bit trickier than the 10-12" jobs... the 18s are also quite precious, though these days all vintage JBLs are becoming more and more precious!

Looking great BTW.

Widget

Name:  50182264881_55f119b012_c.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  108.1 KB

BEST lens "look" EVER!!!

Very Samuri !!!

Okay, so I couldn't stop, and pulled the second 2425J to find the dampener pad pretty well disintegrated. Not as bad as the first one, but just as sticky. Still can't figure out how JBL can produce an adhesive that stays stuck forever while the foam deteriorates right on schedule. The hardest part is removing the adhesive film that sticks the pad to the back plate. All done now.

Next is the other 2122H. Might as well get it over with, but might have to wait for the weekend. I already filled this day-off with chores. And I had to drive the "new" car out into the country to find some local tomatoes. Summer just isn't Summer without a tomato sandwich on toasted oatmeal bread! Found some fresh-picked peaches and apple-cider donuts, too.

I have done a couple of pairs of 2235's and doing any of the long excursion drivers you have to be careful the coils are not tilted or they will seem fine until you give them some real excursion and they hit. As long as you exercise them well with the 30hz CD before everything set's you should be OK. If your not sure don't would be a shame mess them up.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Thread Information