Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Probably foam, you can cut to size

https://reconingspeakers.com/product...45-damper-pad/

Rob
    Can probably get at least two from that

Thanks JBL Pro!

I sent an email to JBL Pro through the contact page on their website and got an answer back the next morning. I had Googled a part number for 2425 "Dampener Pad" and got JBL part number 61286. The JBL Pro customer service rep said it was a good number and they had four in-stock today. He gave me a phone number to call to place an order.

This afternoon I made that call and the rep was very quick to confirm the part and the price and asked if I had a Pro account. I said that I was just a JBL owner for the past 60-years but he gave me an account number and was very helpful in asking if they'd quoted me shipping costs. He then told me shipping was delayed these days but I told him I'd put this job off for years already and the parts' arrival would be my sign to actually complete the work. Total price for two "dampener pads-2425" including tax and shipping was . . . $13.80—or 80¢ more than the one pad shown in the Speaker Exchange link. Gotta love it when plan comes together!

Interesting that Pro is now in Richardson, TX and the parts will come from Arizona. I guess that's closer to the Mexican manufacturing facility.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

JBL part number 61286 Dampener Pad for 2425

They arrived today. Dimensionally they are 2-1/2" in diameter and 3/4" thick (63.5mm x 19mm).

Soon we can compare them to the originals!

". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

I wonder if they changed the formulation of the foam so it does not break down in 20 years... Strangely enough I had the impression my 2426 had a felt dampener, now I have a doubt it was maybe not original.
    My avatar: 4520 loaded with 2225H on E140 frames,
    1x 2202H on custom front loaded horn, 2x 2426 on 2370.

So, I had a little time today. Too hot to mow and I'd already helped a co-worker move a couch from a city 70-miles away.

Here's what I found when I removed and disassembled the right 2425J:

And here's what it looked like all cleaned up with the new dampener pad installed:

Shot a bit of Dioxit in the pots while I was inside. Tightened all terminals. Measured DCR in-spec.
    I'll do some critical listening later but for now the initial reaction is it seems to be all well.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I'll do some critical listening later but for now the initial reaction is it seems to be all well.
    Gotta love it when a plan comes together.

Full-time maintenance on old stuff! Cars and speakers.

Now I realize I need new surrounds on the 2122Hs. So I placed an order through Rick Cobb and he immediately responded including picture of his (original) 4345s! How cool is that??

Pushing a dozen years that I've had these. Don't really know how old the surrounds are but New Zenith had re-coned different baskets with 2122H cones when Katz built them.

Like I really needed more projects! What I need is more time.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Like I really needed more projects! What I need is more time.
    more time does not reduce the projects . I've had "more time" since 2002 and the projects seem to be expanding. Maybe it's just me, but I hear the same from many other folks in a similar position.

project lists seem to expand to fill available time. As my Dad once said "even if you buy bigger & bigger homes ...the junk will expand to fill them"

Hope your experience differs.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Pulled the first 2123/2122H today. Much easier than when I pulled the 2245. Had the heat-gun ready but didn't need it. Just slipped a thin putty knife underneath and it lifted right up. Removed the plastic trim ring and then the nasty glob that was the remainder of the factory surround. What a mess. Lots of Q-tips, alcohol, and X-acto blades. Now taking a break before fitting Rick Cobb's surround. Had to run down to the old house to find my 30Hz CD and to the store for a fresh bottle of Tacky Glue.

I have to work fast since laying a 4345 on its backside in the living room creates an obvious obstacle as well as temptation for the cat!
    (The glass top fits nicely over the 2245 to protect it. Pillows will cover the other holes.)

Hi Phil,

RE "... the nasty glob that was the remainder of the factory surround. What a mess. Lots of Q-tips, alcohol, and X-acto blades."

Nice job you did!

In one of their refoaming videos Simply Speakers recommended using 91% alcohol for that job. I did. But can't say it had any magic nor was it a piece of cake. Still had to work a LOT to remove that crap on 2214 using lots of Q-tips as you did plus cotton rags.

The alcohol bottle seen on your pic seems like regular one 70%?? From your experiment do you feel it might have been easier for you if you had stronger (more concentrated) alcohol, i.e. felt yours lacking in solvent power??

Trying to determine if alcohol type used does really matter in terms of less effort or any will do just as well. Never used regular 70% acohol for this. Also, wondering if worth going out of one's way to get 91% though its not expensive?

Richard

On the topic of alcohol as a solvent, the type of alcohol also matters. The 70% and 91% alcohols that you get at the drugstore are both isopropyl alcohol. Denatured alcohol which is 95% ethanol is a more effective solvent when dissolving shellac and stripping some glue residues. I am not sure about this specific application, but it might be worth a try.

Unfortunately in the last year denatured alcohol has been banned in California. It should still be available in most other places though.

Widget

when cleaning old foam from a baskets edge, I used nail polish remover.
    it's now much less potent than I remember , little smell , but kinda works.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    On the topic of alcohol as a solvent, the type of alcohol also matters. The 70% and 91% alcohols that you get at the drugstore are both isopropyl alcohol. Denatured alcohol which is 95% ethanol is a more effective solvent when dissolving shellac and stripping some glue residues. I am not sure about this specific application, but it might be worth a try.

Unfortunately in the last year denatured alcohol has been banned in California. It should still be available in most other places though.

Widget
    I use the 190 proof Everclear (95% alcohol) to dissolve shellac. Smells a lot better than denatured - not sure if it's sold in CA, the 190 proof isn't even sold in all parts of TX.

Thread Information