Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Please help with 128H's in L150A's. :)

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    Although honestly, I don't think mine are originals. The cones' backside reads "129H".
    So, your 128H drivers were reconed with 129H kits?

According to the "goes into" pdf at https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...wbot_wVbhXMuBb, the C8R129H recone kit is not shown to be compatible with the 128H.

The 129 and 128-1 are exact acoustic replacements for each other

https://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/T.../L65B%20ts.pdf

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Yes, I believe my original woofers were replaced with 129's and then sprayed white. I've never seen an actual AquaPlas driver up close to be able to visually make a distinction. I definitely lost my biscuits on this deal.

Derek,

If she is a JBL recone center, ask her to try again via the Harman Portal. Both the C8R128H and C8R128H-1 come up. I was able to drop a pair of C8R128H in my cart and when I checked on the "committed date" I got today's date, not something in the distant future (implies you are waiting for the next batch if it is a month out, or possibly never if it is a year or more out).

Again, any authorized center can get them, at the moment. And, they are significantly less expensive than they used to be (a warning sign that they are not made in the US (no surprise). I've done 128H and it was a pricey recone and is a pain to get the doming glue to lay pretty (I like a perfect ring but with the sand like nature of the aquaplas, good luck).

Yes, I believe my original woofers were replaced with 129's and then sprayed white. I've never seen an actual AquaPlas driver up close to be able to visually make a distinction. I definitely lost my biscuits on this deal.
    Well, par for the course for newbies. Plenty of similar stories abound in this forum. Including mine when I got a pair of 128H woofers with old and tired spiders as my first entre into vintage JBL. Bit the bullet and reconed them. I then picked up a nice set of 128H-1 woofers and found I preferred them more, including the dark woofers. Memory from back then says that the -1 was slightly different in the compliance specs, perhaps a different spider. The 129H was the same build but with a cone assembly with a higher mass. The 128H and the -1 are pretty darn close sonically in my experience.

So keep up the effort.
    David F
    San Jose

Quote Originally Posted by sguttag View Post
    Derek,

If she is a JBL recone center, ask her to try again via the Harman Portal. Both the C8R128H and C8R128H-1 come up. I was able to drop a pair of C8R128H in my cart and when I checked on the "committed date" I got today's date, not something in the distant future (implies you are waiting for the next batch if it is a month out, or possibly never if it is a year or more out).

Again, any authorized center can get them, at the moment. And, they are significantly less expensive than they used to be (a warning sign that they are not made in the US (no surprise). I've done 128H and it was a pricey recone and is a pain to get the doming glue to lay pretty (I like a perfect ring but with the sand like nature of the aquaplas, good luck).
    It says she is, at least. Could you provide a link I could then email to her? I'd like to email it to her and then talk to her about it later. When I dropped the woofers off again and began discussing which kit to use she already said she ordered parts. So I'm a bit concerned she's already started working on them. I don't know how to proceed if that is the case, I'm not really a pushy person but I do want them to be right. I feel like it is my fault for not straightening this mess out before coming to her. Really wish I would have joined this forum sooner so I could have gotten this info and then given it to her. I feel like I'll be accepting her job and then taking them straight to somewhere else (so as not to insult her) and paying for yet another recone job. Hell, who knows, maybe I'll enjoy my spray painted incorrect parts?

Lastly, do you get a picture of the parts you're ordering? I'd really like confirmation of a white, AquaPlas woofer before I try and bring this stuff up with her again. Thank you for your patience, you're helping a brother out.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    Well, par for the course for newbies. Plenty of similar stories abound in this forum. Including mine when I got a pair of 128H woofers with old and tired spiders as my first entre into vintage JBL. Bit the bullet and reconed them. I then picked up a nice set of 128H-1 woofers and found I preferred them more, including the dark woofers. Memory from back then says that the -1 was slightly different in the compliance specs, perhaps a different spider. The 129H was the same build but with a cone assembly with a higher mass. The 128H and the -1 are pretty darn close sonically in my experience.

So keep up the effort.
    Haha yeah, that's me. I did some digging through the JBL Technical Library, Vol. I, No. III, Choosing Low Frequency Transducers and it shows the original 128H's cone to be flat on the back. Is that true? I've only seen this godawful pair on Ebay which appear to be flat on the back but also white on both sides. The rear of the cones look super dingy. Are they original? https://www.ebay.com/itm/332539574999

What did you put your reconed 128H's in? Did you sell them later? If so, were you beat up on the price or did you price them lower due to the recone? Just trying to get a better idea of what I should do if I happen to acquire a set of L220's. Although I might not like the L220's, some people prefer the L150A's to those. The vintage speaker scene is cool but it's a lot like the vintage car scene. So much more beneath the surface to an authenticity nut like myself.

The link I have is for a dealer/service center site and not for public posting or distribution. That said, she or any JBL/Harman dealer/service center would access through the same site.

They do not provide photos but that IS the distinction between the 128H and the 128H-1. The -1 is a black cone version. To the point that for the shifted magnet driver I mentioned earlier, JBL sent me 128H-1 drivers (new, this was some time ago) and 128H cone kits in order to get the customer his white cones and be happy. Oddly enough, it was the consumer side of JBL that did it...we are strictly JBL Pro and really just for cinema.

One of my friends built custom speakers back in the 80s and used 128H drivers and when they rotted out, I reconed them for him (hence I have dealt with that driver some though it doesn't come up in cinema). JBL also never authorized a refoam...just recone.

I'm not pulling your leg however, the 128H cone kit really does show as a part that I could order today and it would ship in short order. Perhaps there was a period of time when the 128H was not available (I saw that happen on the LE14H-1...it was available, it stopped, then it showed up and now it is gone again. Luckily, I was able to snag a pair for myself because I have a pair of L250s that needed new foams.

Quote Originally Posted by sguttag View Post
    The link I have is for a dealer/service center site and not for public posting or distribution. That said, she or any JBL/Harman dealer/service center would access through the same site.

They do not provide photos but that IS the distinction between the 128H and the 128H-1. The -1 is a black cone version. To the point that for the shifted magnet driver I mentioned earlier, JBL sent me 128H-1 drivers (new, this was some time ago) and 128H cone kits in order to get the customer his white cones and be happy. Oddly enough, it was the consumer side of JBL that did it...we are strictly JBL Pro and really just for cinema.

One of my friends built custom speakers back in the 80s and used 128H drivers and when they rotted out, I reconed them for him (hence I have dealt with that driver some though it doesn't come up in cinema). JBL also never authorized a refoam...just recone.

I'm not pulling your leg however, the 128H cone kit really does show as a part that I could order today and it would ship in short order. Perhaps there was a period of time when the 128H was not available (I saw that happen on the LE14H-1...it was available, it stopped, then it showed up and now it is gone again. Luckily, I was able to snag a pair for myself because I have a pair of L250s that needed new foams.
    Wow, well dezmond just linked a freshly listed recone kit! I'll buy the dammed thing as long as it doesn't go beyond $200. I just need one more... Seeing that link makes me a believer and now I really wish I hadn't acted prematurely on this. If you were local or even semi local I'd have happily given this job to you. Doesn't seem like southeastern Michigan really has any reputable or competent businesses who specialize in this type of thing. It's been a PITA to try and have my Marantz 3600 & 510M restored. I think I might just have to break down and learn this stuff for myself, yet I didn't want to practice on anything that "mattered" so to say. I've got way too much into that Marantz gear to go fumbling it like the novice I am.

Thanks dezmond! "They do exist!" I need just one more! Someone help!!
    Too bad that doesn't have a "buy it now" price as I'm going to have to delegate this to my wife, the resident eBay sniper..

So, are the motors 128H or 129H? According to the "goes into" doc, recone kits for the 128H and 129H arent interchangeable!

Quote Originally Posted by short_circutz2 View Post
    So, are the motors 128H or 129H? According to the "goes into" doc, recone kits for the 128H and 129H arent interchangeable!
    They're 128H's..

However, 128-1's and 129's are supposed to be interchangeable according to the info Rob posted:
    Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    The 129 and 128-1 are exact acoustic replacements for each other

https://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/T.../L65B%20ts.pdf

Rob
    Got an email from my reconer and I'm guessing I'm getting 128-1 cones. I haven't seen them but according to her they've got similar texture on the back like my old cones and are black on the front. Since I plan on buying OE cones and having them installed eventually I intend to paint the cones I'm getting. Dug around and found people liked Zinisser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 primer, product #02204 WHITE. Trick is to cut the paint 50/50 with water and apply using a turntable with a Purdy 1" brush. So that's what I'll attempt to do minus the TT as I do not have one other than the ones I use for vinyl.

Manually-rotated 'lazy suzan' works OK for this kind of thing. A few bucks at a housewares store.
    Also useful for refurbishing speakers drivers in general.

Thank you, Grumpy. When I go to buy the paint & such I'll see what I can find to fit that bill. I'd like to try and refoam a set of speakers one day and learn how to do this for myself.

from one newb to another

Don't jump to conclusions, I've learned this the hard way.

If your woofers have the original cones, then I would not rush to tear them out. I would suspect that the foam surrounds, if original, are not doing their job properly. Or, if they were re-foamed, the new surrounds may have been installed incorrectly or simply do not have the proper compliance.

I would buy a refoam kit for your specific woofers from a reputable source and start there. Or, since you are new to all of this, have them professionally re-foamed which will certainly be a better job and they will maintain their value. I am always looking for vintage JBL's and it is discouraging to see drivers that have been re-foamed by careless or inexperienced hands.

It would be nice to see some photos of your drivers, front and back.

Quote Originally Posted by bedrock602 View Post
    Don't jump to conclusions, I've learned this the hard way.

If your woofers have the original cones, then I would not rush to tear them out. I would suspect that the foam surrounds, if original, are not doing their job properly. Or, if they were re-foamed, the new surrounds may have been installed incorrectly or simply do not have the proper compliance.

I would buy a refoam kit for your specific woofers from a reputable source and start there. Or, since you are new to all of this, have them professionally re-foamed which will certainly be a better job and they will maintain their value. I am always looking for vintage JBL's and it is discouraging to see drivers that have been re-foamed by careless or inexperienced hands.

It would be nice to see some photos of your drivers, front and back.
    I believe I mentioned earlier that they are not the original cones and my reconer suspected that we might get away with a refoam job. Didn't work.. The kid I bought them off of said they were refoamed, but I bet they were reconed at that time.

Photos will have to wait I suppose. The drivers are out for repair and I'll be able to get new pics once I get them back.

Thread Information