Thread: JBL 4311wx-A . Cosmetically challenged

JBL 4311wx-A . Cosmetically challenged

I collected these beauties yesterday knowing that the cabinets were not in great condition.
    Someone decided to fit handles to the sides by cutting into the cabinets, also there are holes in the bottom where mounting brackets sat .
    The good news is that all the drivers work and the speakers sound damn good .
    They will need the holes filling ( easy fix with some ply ) and ideally new veneer applied.
    My question is ; Are these worth the time and money or should I just move them on ?
    I am U.K. based .
    Attached Images Attached Images      

If you do it yourself yes, I personally think they aren't worth paying out for someone else to do the work from a value/return pov. More importantly they were voiced in a particular way so do you restore or 'improve' them by giving them to the many men in sheds who will offer the service? If you chose the latter then they wont be 4311's any more...
    First thing to do is buy some foam difraction rings from eBay for the tweeters.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...light=jbl+4311

I ordered the difraction foam rings yesterday . I’ll probably just bung them on the Devilbay.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by cooky1257 View Post
    If you do it yourself yes, I personally think they aren't worth paying out for someone else to do the work from a value/return pov. More importantly they were voiced in a particular way so do you restore or 'improve' them by giving them to the many men in sheds who will offer the service? If you chose the latter then they wont be 4311's any more...
    First thing to do is buy some foam difraction rings from eBay for the tweeters.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...light=jbl+4311

Cool

welcome to the forum.

I have re veneered some 4312's , it was pretty easy with some care taken with the smallish lip at the front. You would not need to do that of course if you were staying with walnut.
    I have noticed of late that 431xx are fetching pretty good ££ these days on the bay , not sure why other than good vintage hi hi in general has gone up in price a lot.
    I would check out bay pricing and then look at what you have in them Vs the cost for you to re veneer.
    Looks you me like they have been mobile party speakers ( DJ ) so they will probably been hammered. Thats what JBL are good at though so if all the drivers are working cleanly ( try a sweep , NCH sig generator online or if you want I can e mail you a nice slow sweep test tone as a file that you can make a CD from if you need to do that or just run it from a clever phone ) I would proceed to re veneer and then move them on , or not .
    The holes in the base will be messing up the bass tuning.

These have now gone .
    Cheers

Thread Information