Hello,

I recently acquired a pair of A8's from a local seller. They were pretty banged up, but I got them at a very low price. They were sold "as-is" and one of the 15" drivers was "not working" but at the price it was well worth the risk.

I thought they were newer, but when removing the back cover of the speaker with the non-sounding driver I found a green framed 416-Z (which I have read here is a factory installed 416-A) and an 806A compression driver on a 32 90° horn. Luckily the woofer was disconnected from the crossover and worked fine when reconnected.

Upon closer inspection I realized the "working" speaker had a slightly different 15" driver and when I removed the back panel, found that it had been replaced with a black frame Lansing 515B (which is dated with crayon on the cone 12-23-88). I am assuming the old 416-Z on this speaker was damaged and replaced with the 515B.

So, given that these drivers have different specs: will they be able to work as a pair?

The enclosures have some delamination in the bottom plywood panel (apparently stored at floor level in a very humid place) and the pots on the attenuator seem to be rusted in place. I have no problem with changing the panels and wiring new crossovers from components, but will it be worth it given the low frequency driver mismatch?

Please take into account I am in Costa Rica, so I cannot simply snatch a matching driver off eBay (customs and shipping would probably duplicate the cost).

Thanks in advance for any and all help.