Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JBL Studio 6 Series

Quote Originally Posted by martin_wu99 View Post
    Forget 590,it is called studio speaker,but it has nothing to do with studio.
    So, that alone makes it unworthy??
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

"I wish JBL would bring back more of their old products"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I am confident that they never will… especially since the cost to manufacture the old drivers would be horrifically expensive today. That said, the Classic L 100 retro speaker seems to be a decent performer, is getting good reviews, and I believe it is selling pretty well. This may lead Samsung to produce more vintagesque speakers.

Widget
    Why would JBL wish to bring back designs from 40 or more years ago? Back then, the designs were questionable at best: 12" woofers that were run up to 1,500Hz? Five inch midranges that were run up to 5,000Hz? Drivers placed seemingly at random on a baffle? Harman has spent huge amounts of money into researching what people like and those parameters are simply not what their testing tells them people like.

Why would the cost of manufacturing old drivers be expensive today, other than that Harman no longer has tooling to do so, and that cobalt is now harder to obtain? In any event, who cares? Has not Harman spent years researching new magnetic materials and new motor geometries to improve their speakers? Are you really saying that a Century will sound superior to a Classic? Are you really saying that the woofer on a Century is more highly engineered than the woofer on a Classic?

When it comes to esthetics, I agree with your wish to bring back old school design. Old JBLs were gorgeous. I suspect that Harman would be only to happy to replicate that look, except that modern laws about what can be permitted with regard to woods and wood finishes prevents them from doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    So, that alone makes it unworthy??
    Not because the name "studio",there is a big gap comparing with 43 series/44 series/S3900/S4700,just have a audition
    46 lover

Not because the name "studio",there is a big gap comparing with 43 series/44 series/S3900/S4700,just have a audition
    Sure, but those are often ten-times the price of the Studio 5s and 6s. I own a pair of 4345s and still think the world of my L7s and L5s.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by L.H. Nick View Post
    "I wish JBL would bring back more of their old products"

Why would JBL wish to bring back designs from 40 or more years ago? Back then, the designs were questionable at best: 12" woofers that were run up to 1,500Hz? Five inch midranges that were run up to 5,000Hz? Drivers placed seemingly at random on a baffle? Harman has spent huge amounts of money into researching what people like and those parameters are simply not what their testing tells them people like.

Why would the cost of manufacturing old drivers be expensive today, other than that Harman no longer has tooling to do so, and that cobalt is now harder to obtain? In any event, who cares? Has not Harman spent years researching new magnetic materials and new motor geometries to improve their speakers? Are you really saying that a Century will sound superior to a Classic? Are you really saying that the woofer on a Century is more highly engineered than the woofer on a Classic?

When it comes to esthetics, I agree with your wish to bring back old school design. Old JBLs were gorgeous. I suspect that Harman would be only to happy to replicate that look, except that modern laws about what can be permitted with regard to woods and wood finishes prevents them from doing so.
    I think you will find The Widget is correct.

It’s more about the manufacturing process, tooling and labour involved to the create what these vintage drivers were back in the day. Do you know the capital investment to put a new driver in production. I have been quoted close to $1 mil in sales to break even.

Incidentally your comments on the 12 inch driver are out of context.

The 4310 design was developed specifically to emulate the 1.5 khertz response peak in the Altec Duplex 604 in which an array of 4310 had a size advantage over the 604 enclosure. The 4310 was JBLs foot hold into the studio market and went on to become one of the most successful loudspeakers of all time. The engineers liked, everyone liked it so who are you to challenge historical events.

Besides a correctly engineered 12 inch driver can be optimised to crossover at 1500 hertz if you know how. Most if not all pro loudspeaker manufacturers on the planet have drivers in their catalogues that can do this.

You might want to think twice before blowing off any more provocative tripe around here.

On the other hand if you feel like bagging where Jbl is right now go right ahead.

I am told there was nothing coming out of Consumer for two years until recently. They fired everyone or they left.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    I think you will find The Widget is correct.
    That would be cool! Could you be more specific about what it is that "The" Widget is correct about?

It’s more about the manufacturing process, tooling and labour involved to the create what these vintage drivers were back in the day. Do you know the capital investment to put a new driver in production. I have been quoted close to $1 mil in sales to break even.
    This does not address my point: were the drivers of yore, and I owned a few of them, audibly superior to the ones available today? Are you saying that the Century had better bass response than the Classic?

Incidentally your comments on the 12 inch driver are out of context.

The 4310 design was developed specifically to emulate the 1.5 khertz response peak in the Altec Duplex 604 in which an array of 4310 had a size advantage over the 604 enclosure. The 4310 was JBLs foot hold into the studio market and went on to become one of the most successful loudspeakers of all time. The engineers liked, everyone liked it so who are you to challenge historical events.
    I'm not the one challenging historical events: Harman themselves are doing so. The published specs of the Classic have the 12" woofer crossing over to the midrange at 450Hz. Their LSR6332 monitor had the 12" woofer crossing over at 250Hz.

Besides a correctly engineered 12 inch driver can be optimised to crossover at 1500 hertz if you know how. Most if not all pro loudspeaker manufacturers on the planet have drivers in their catalogues that can do this.
    Did not JBL themselves market a speaker called the L88? As I recall it was a Century without the midrange driver. Are you arguing that the L88 should sound as good as the L100? If you are not, then what were the differences between the two that made the L100 sound better? If you are, then what was the point of the L100?

You might want to think twice before blowing off any more provocative tripe around here.
    I sincerely regret if my post was provocative. That was not my intention. I was merely trying to probe the thoughts of another poster. However, I do not think my posts were "tripe." While I challenged Widget's assertions, I did not insult Widget personally, nor did I ever intend to do so. Why do you feel you have license to insult me?

On the other hand if you feel like bagging where Jbl is right now go right ahead.

I am told there was nothing coming out of Consumer for two years until recently. They fired everyone or they left.
    I feel no need to denigrate JBL's consumer division. They are doing quite well by themselves.

Sure, but those are often ten-times the price of the Studio 5s and 6s. I own a pair of 4345s and still think the world of my L7s and L5s.
    But as i know,studio 590 is not cheap at all
    46 lover

But as i know,studio 590 is not cheap at all
    They've been on the Harman website for as little a $500 each and even now are listed at $699 each. That's pretty darn cheap, for what they do!

They've been on the Harman website for as little a $500 each and even now are listed at $699 each. That's pretty darn cheap, for what they do!
    In China,a pair of 590 are listed at 23200 RMB,about 3346 US$
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    46 lover

You want classic JBL ?

You could always look at Revel as I did. I sure think the big Ultima Salon 2's are a logical successor to my beloved 250Ti's. Large floor standing 4-way ? check. Advanced JBL drivers using latest materials science ? check. Beautifully constructed cabinet that passes WAF ? check.

If you can live without the letters "JBL" on the front, there's a lot to like here.

jblnut

Quote Originally Posted by jblnut View Post
    You could always look at Revel as I did. I sure think the big Ultima Salon 2's are a logical successor to my beloved 250Ti's. Large floor standing 4-way ? check. Advanced JBL drivers using latest materials science ? check. Beautifully constructed cabinet that passes WAF ? check.

If you can live without the letters "JBL" on the front, there's a lot to like here.

jblnut
    I agree with you ,I think Revel has higher class than JBL in Harman Group,more delicate workmanship;more pretty appearance,and of course better sound quality
    46 lover

I heard some 590's this past weekend and I agree with what I was told...They kill the L100T's not even close sound wise..looks is another story.
    IMO

Do the 590s have a separate chamber for each 8 inch? If the bottom one is a helper, what frequency does it kick in on?

Quote Originally Posted by man00 View Post
    I heard some 590's this past weekend and I agree with what I was told...They kill the L100T's not even close sound wise..looks is another story.
    IMO
    This seems to be JBL Commercial's current strategy: an enclosure made to be so "budget friendly" as to border on the risible, and yet in sound quality the thing manages to punch above its price.

Thread Information