Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LE14A Project: Enclosure Design

More work to do

Thanks speakerdave and Ed for the input. I'll admit that using the S99 box and port size would make things much easier but if the LE14A will work better in a larger encloser, even in a small room, then that's the route I'll take.

If I'm starting from scratch, I would like to take this opportunity to learn how to size the enclosures for my particular woofers. This is something I have been thinking about for a couple of years but didn't have a clear goal untill now. I'm not expecting to be spoon fed information, but if someone could give me a basic outline of the steps needed to properly size the cabinets, it would be greatly appreciated.

Look up Win Isd and use that to determine a preliminary enclosure size. The Le-14 is a loaded JBL driver in the database. I used 3.8 cubic ft for my Array bases Le-14H-3.

http://www.linearteam.org/

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l+bass+modules

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Thanks Rob,

I downloaded the program but there were only a handful of JBL drivers listed in the database, LE14... was not one of them.

Nice work on the bass modules.

Hello Bedrock

Thanks, you downloaded the newer version try the older 2002 they have both the 14A and H loaded as well as many other JBL drivers or just load up the T/S parameters into the program as a new driver.

Rob

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/reference/notes/tech1-3a.htm
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Hi bedrock,

For example, below is a pic of the driver response modeled in Winspeakerz with 3.8 cu.ft. tuned at 35 hz, and the usual QL 7 and half-space loading. Reasonably flat being within less than one db. So you should get something comparable to this with using same box parameters (Vb, Fb, QL).

Win ISD bugs when different versions were installed on my computer (pro 2016, pro 2002 and the smaller Beta). Had to uninstall pro 2002 and Beta to restore peace... Kept pro 2016 and Winspeakerz, the latter not free but not expensive, paid $40. few years ago and it has a 1,500+ driver database (including LE14A/H) to which I add as need be. Also has crossover design and cabinet design features, plus many easy to edit parameters. No hassles, no bugs. Fast and easy to work with, that's why I use it much more than Win ISD.

I've tried many free or low cost softwares over the years and Winspeakerz from True Audio is the best price/features/performance wise in my view. For the few who may think Winspeakerz isn't that good, well they sure have not read Linearteam's own! 20 page Technical Paper comparing eleven (yes 11) different speaker design softwares on the most criticized aspect of box design (Lv accuracy ). That comparison includes known names such as Win ISD, JBL Speakershop, Winspeakerz, Bass Box Pro v.6, etc. The results would be eye opening for "the blinds leading the blinds".

In the past Rick Carlson's free Box Plot 3.0 was among the favorites of mine up to Windows XP with 32 bits architecture, but I was never able to make it work on Windows 7 Pro 64 bits architecture, even using the compatibility mode in Win 7 Pro. As far as I know, Carlson never updated his software for more recent windows versions.

There's a sequence to follow when entering driver data in previous 2002 ISD pro version otherwise it bugs. Let me know if you need that sequence, I think I still have a copy of it. That bug was corrected in the 2016 edition, but that edition has very poor number of drivers in database.

Many people don't know ISD Pro's (2002 & 2016) has default QL10 which isn't standard, it can be changed to standard QL7 when in "box" tab then go to "advanced" at bottom of screen and replace QL 10 to QL 7. This software will always default back to QL10 with a new project, except when reopening a previously saved project with QL7, so you must not forget to change it back to QL7 again and again... Winspeakerz has the default standard QL7 which is very easy to change at will, plus or minus. Regards,

Richard

P.S. Just checked and Winspeakerz still goes for $39.95. For such small amount of money I stopped screwing around with Win ISD free versions a while ago, except for when I want to double check on something, like Lv, to get a "second opinion"...

Name:  IMG_0559.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  88.3 KB

BassBox 6

I finally got a break from work this weekend and sat down with BB6 software that has been collecting dust for a couple of years.

It took several tries at inputting data to figure out the nuts and bolts of the software but I think I have the very basics covered.

I started with the T/S parameters of one of my LE14A's as measured with the Smith & Larson Woofer Tester 2. I could have used the T/S parameters that are loaded in BB6 but they were slightly different than what I measured. That said, I'm not entirely certain my measurements are correct in that I may not have used the WT2 properly, but what the hell, I usually learn the hard way anyway...

I think this is a good time to remind anyone reading this that I am a COMPLETE NOVICE so you may read things in my posts that make no sense or are completely idiotic. My apologies in advance to all who have devoted their careers to the design and engineering of speaker enclosures...

For the first and second designs, I simply used my S99 and L55 enclosure dimensions and port sizes to get a feel for the software and to get feedback from the forum.

Box Properties are as follows:

S99:
    Vb = 1.307 cu.ft.
    Fb = 48.07 Hz
    F3 = 47.44 Hz

L55:
    Vb = 1.891 cu.ft.
    Fb = 39.93 Hz
    F3 = 40.6 Hz

I then increased the box sizes slightly for five more designs from 2.0 cu.ft. thru 4.0 cu.ft., as Vb increased, Fb decreased but F3 kept increasing.

Name:  IMG_0559[1].jpg
Views: 772
Size:  115.9 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

BB6 results

I found this post by 4313B in 2005,

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...-big-for-LE14A

in his designs, F3 decreases as Vb increases, the opposite of my results. What am I doing wrong?

Hi bedrock,

Quickly as I don't have time now to analyze your results.

I note your measured driver Qts is very low 0.19 vs 0.32 and your Vas is much larger at 7.53 cu.ft. vs 5.2 cu.ft. for 4313B. The latter's predicted response curves are also flatter than yours which I think is a reflection of the higher Qts he used.

Qts and Vas are the two box size influencers.

If you look carefully 4313B varies box volume but his tuning frequency remains about the same at 30-31 hz. You also vary box volume but your box tuning frequencies are all over the map for some unknown reason (I don't use BB6). Did you change Fb manually each time or BB6 assigned those FBs automatically when volume changed? Gotta go... Regards,

Richard

Thanks for the quick response Richard. I'll take another stab at it this weekend. I'll start with the pre-loaded T/S Parameters and see if the results are closer to 4313B's. I'll also re-test the drivers with WT2 and then load them into BB6.

Thread Information