Thread: Farewell to the Paper Cone

Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Reminds me of the Mark Twain quote about his death.

Widget

What About JBL

No mention of JBL's contributions to cone technology such as aquaplas, lansaplas.
    Lynn Olsen had a very comprehensive article on the pros and cons of just about every transducer type. I'll search for a URL.
    Choose your favourite compromises, and enjoy the music,
    "Why don't you Mine your own Bismuth, so you won't be mining mine?"

I didn’t see when that was written but I think it was the 1960s; Fried has been dead for years. Was probably news back then I suppose.
    Speakers: JBL 250Ti, Martin Logan CLS 1, Kinergetics SW-800; Amps: McIntosh MC-275IV (2), Sunfire 600, Parasound HCA-3500

Well that didn't work out! Some of my best sounding drivers use paper cones. Go figure?

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Fried was supposed to have been a pretty good salesman; do you think the fact that he was importing IMF speakers back then that used KEF B139s had something to do with the “death” of paper cones? 😊
    Speakers: JBL 250Ti, Martin Logan CLS 1, Kinergetics SW-800; Amps: McIntosh MC-275IV (2), Sunfire 600, Parasound HCA-3500

Quote Originally Posted by kmanusa View Post
    Fried was supposed to have been a pretty good salesman; do you think the fact that he was importing IMF speakers back then that used KEF B139s had something to do with the “death” of paper cones? ��
    The published date is shown- Sep 1962. This is before "Bud" was known for his IMF and other manufacturing connections. So, in a way, he was prescient in being ahead of the rush to alternative materials coming the late 60's and well beyond. He was quite wrong in proclaiming the paper cone obsolete. A pattern we see often repeated in the home audio world, eh?
    David F
    San Jose

Since I am able to see the future I am happy to tell you that the paper cone will continue for many years to come.
    However I am looking forward to seeing Graphene being incorporated in the paper mix .

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    The published date is shown- Sep 1962. This is before "Bud" was known for his IMF and other manufacturing connections. So, in a way, he was prescient in being ahead of the rush to alternative materials coming the late 60's and well beyond. He was quite wrong in proclaiming the paper cone obsolete. A pattern we see often repeated in the home audio world, eh?
    Yep I see now the 1962 date, it was not obvious on my iPhone. Bud was an interesting character on the audio scene. I did enjoy my IMF Monitor speakers from the late 70s although I don’t believe he was affiliated with the loudspeaker brand by then. Boy could they go low, close to 20 Hz!

My Kinergetics subs use five 10 inch woofers per side, all paper cones. They can go pretty low too.

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    Since I am able to see the future I am happy to tell you that the paper cone will continue for many years to come.
    However I am looking forward to seeing Graphene being incorporated in the paper mix .
    Personally I like to say Graphene almost as much is I like to say aerogel!

Widget

Thread Information