Thread: 2482 in L200B cabinet

2482 in L200B cabinet

Hello All ..... I've bought 2482 drivers with H93 short horn for my L200B cabinets. Horn fits just fine of course, the question is will the front panel support the weight/torque of the fairly heavy compression driver or will I need to build some kind of a support for them. I'm guessing I'm not the first to try and put a large format driver into one of these cabinets. Any advice would be much appreciated before I damage my cabinets

regards
    ps plan to cross over to 075 around 5k Hz or?

I have a 2445 hanging from a short horn without bracing, my baffle is baltic birch, I'm not sure what yours is? I would think it's more important to have bracing if you are going to transport your speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by robertg View Post
    I have a 2445 hanging from a short horn without bracing, my baffle is baltic birch, I'm not sure what yours is? I would think it's more important to have bracing if you are going to transport your speakers.
    Ahhh, OK, thanks. I assume the ply is 3/4" and your driver is 5 lbs heavier than mine. I've got the original JBL L200B cabinets which seem to have been made of 3/4" MDF .... so probably of similar strength. I'm looking forward to placing the horn closer to the woofer from its position on top of speaker presently. Thanks for this assurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Guenter View Post
    Hello All ..... I've bought 2482 drivers with H93 short horn for my L200B cabinets. Horn fits just fine of course, the question is will the front panel support the weight/torque of the fairly heavy compression driver or will I need to build some kind of a support for them. I'm guessing I'm not the first to try and put a large format driver into one of these cabinets. Any advice would be much appreciated before I damage my cabinets

regards
    ps plan to cross over to 075 around 5k Hz or?
    Local JBL pro Jeff has used this driver combo for years crossing @ 5k Hz as you suggest. Says it's one of his favorite vintage combos!

Hmm. That's a lot of weight to cantilever out from a particle board face. Particularly long-term or in humid locations.
    Even something like "perforated hanging strap" or a side-to-side brace with a saddle cut into it would provide some cheap insurance/support.
    Just an opinion...

Hi Guenter;

Add my vote for additional support.

Manner Music: Jeff from AFP?

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Hi Guenter;

Add my vote for additional support.

Manner Music: Jeff from AFP?

Barry.
    You guessed it! Great source of info/advice. Need to get over there for a visit/update. But he's really busy.

.... many thanks to all for the advice, much appreciated! I was hoping to do without having to go through the trouble of cumbersome braces but knew deep down it was not likely the best idea. With a quality Baltic ply I can see it, but not MDF .... also appreciate the encouragement for trying this particular combo of 2482/075 and 2235 woofers. The 2482 were cheap enough and I had a pair of 075s so I thought ‘why not’. Moreover, the fellow I purchased the 075s from had them fronted with a perforated type lens, a la potato masher, presumably to aid dispersion. Will be intrigued to see how that will pan out
    cheers

Do you still have the metal brackets that came with the speakers. It was used to support the LE85 to the H91 horn and was screwed to the brace in the cabinet. If so maybe you could reuse them or use as a template for other.

Quote Originally Posted by jbl4ever View Post
    Do you still have the metal brackets that came with the speakers. It was used to support the LE85 to the H91 horn and was screwed to the brace in the cabinet. If so maybe you could reuse them or use as a template for other.
    .... ahhh, didn’t realize there was a support initially. I’ll look inside cabs tomorrow but don’t think so. I purchased cabinets after seller has gutted them for the components to sell. I knew I would use this great looking cabinet one day especially since my woodworking skills are not something I’m proud of. Thanks for the heads up!

JBL added a steel brace that was bolted to the driver with the horn throat bolts. These were not part of the original design, but JBL found out the hard way that the LE85 on the HL91 would tear itself out of the front baffle during transit.

Your horn is shorter, so less angular momentum, but the mass of your driver is significantly greater... as others have suggested you should use some sort of brace. It can be a wood shelf with a block of foam, or a steel brace like JBL used, but do it!

Cool project BTW.

Widget

Great advice and will take it to heart, glad to hear again that I’m not being silly to try this combination of drivers. Interestingly on checking inside the cabs this morning I can not fathom where the original support might have been anchored.... the fibreglass looks more or less undisturbed all around except for a bit of tearing on the back where the rear of the driver must have been and presumably got a bit torn during removal of the driver. The crossover was obviously sitting on the floor in the middle of the cabinet judging by paint. I’ll figure something out and sincerely appreciate the guidance for the direction I need to take for the installation

Photo of the original Mounting Bracket for LE85

Name:  L 200.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  75.3 KB
    43XX (2235-2123-2450-2405-CC 3155)5235-4412-4406-4401-L250-18Ti-L40-S109 Aquarius lV-C38 (030) 305P MkII

Great to know- thanks for the post..... presumably the other end of the bracket from the throat mounts at the back of cabinet. Doesn't appear to look like it’s 7” long to reach front baffle

cheers

..... finally! found the screw holes for bracket on rear cross brace ... now to make my own, but this method is not likely going to work for me with a short horn

Thread Information