Thread: JBL cf150 woofer

JBL cf150 woofer

Hello,
    I recently joined the group. Happy to see so many fans of JBL products. I recently acquired some cf150 speakers and am in need of a woofer (15"). Does anyone have one available?
    Ron

You will probably have to go to eBay for this. Most of us on the forum have JBLs that are a bit older or are from the pro sound side of JBL. Someone here may be able to help you out, but I think it’ll be a long shot.

Good Luck!

Widget

Hello Widget,

Thanks for the response. I have been trying to find an original driver if possible. The aftermarket woofers a bit small as the JBL woofer (C380L15U1070) measures about 15.75" in diameter. I haven't found any drivers that are this size most are 15.25". Bad enough it would not be JBL but it wouldn't fit very well either! I already replaced the blown tweeters with JBL ST200s - a little bright but they work. Having fun but only have one complete speaker.

Appreciate having a knowledge base of friendly folks. Merry Christmas by the way!

Ron

The CF-series speakers don't command much money. As much as I hate to suggest it, you might look for a complete pair and use the components as parts to keep yours operational. I'd watch Craig's List as opposed to Ebay. There's a nice complete pair right now offered for $100, but they're in Michigan: https://lansing.craigslist.org/ele/d...778528838.html
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Hello BMWCCA,

I contacted the Craigslist seller you linked to. He was willing to remove the drivers and crossovers from both speakers and ship them to me.

Thanks for the tip. I had been watching local Craigslist but nothing much was coming up. Never tried to buy something on Craigslist that I couldn't drive to.

Hopefully everything will work out. He is working on it now.

Ron

Here's another pair perhaps closer if the others didn't pan out: Facebook marketplace CF100 $100 Virginia
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Hello,

I am actually expecting to receive the drivers and crossovers tomorrow. I have a tracking number and they are in the area - but of course no deliveries over the holiday.

I re-installed the tweeter and midrange over the last few days. Had to staple up some loose sound absorbing material and change the wire connectors but everything should be ready as soon as I receive the woofer. Everything else will be spare parts.

I know these are lower end among JBLs (especially the cabinets). I was going to try bracing them but thought I would just see how they perform as they are.

I am retiring my 48" tall tower speakers for a bit while I enjoy the JBL sound I have beed interested in for a long time. I may have to upgrade some of my electronics next!

Ron

Good luck with your project. Let us know how it turns out.

Hello,

Well I received all the components in the mail. Was mostly interested in the woofers. I knew one had been repaired from the photo on CL. What about the other? It looked OK in the photo. It was not - not completely anyway. It had a couple of tears in the surround. Not terrible and it looked like it would play OK. I made a quick patch on the worst one and screwed them in to the cabinet. Turned on the amplifiers and nothing bad happened - OK here we go...

I was not quite expecting the liveliness I was hearing. Highs were crisp and sharp - a little too sharp but I am using replacement drivers there. Actually JBL ST-200 bullet horns. They sound clear not harsh but a little hot. And the midrange, very prominent and forward especially on vocals. Again not what I was used to with my polite towers. As for the bass - not as extended as I am used to with the towers but punchy. All in all not bad!

I need to consider how I can do a more permanent repair to the woofer and I am thinking about how to tame the high end just a little. I have yet to redo the grills - they were in rough shape. Perhaps there is a fabric that will restrict highs a bit. I like the power of the tweets maybe i can get used to them? They seem to be very revealing of recording quality.

My journey so far...

Ron

Update? Tweeter?

I’m working on a pair right now. You by chance didn’t have one good tweeter left did you?

Thread Information