Thread: Crown XLS 2500 instead of Yamaha M80?

Crown XLS 2500 instead of Yamaha M80?

I use the Crown XLS 2500 on my JBL 2245s with great success the fans hardly ever kick in on a domestic system and are virtually inaudible.
    As this is supposed to be high end HiFi I was thinking of getting another Crown XLS 2500 to drive my JBL 1400 pros 160hz to 800hz.
    This is to replace my old Yamaha M80 which I guess needs an extensive recap.
    Is this HiFi or PA?

I love HiFi PA. It’s my favorite type / class of audio.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Hi David,

In theory that amp is probably more PA than Hi-fi I guess. However, you indicated "I use the Crown XLS 2500 on my JBL 2245s with great success the fans hardly ever kick in...". So why would you want to deprive yourself of great success? If that does the trick for you then go for it. Nevermind the categories such as PA, SR or Hi-fi.

I also mix SR/Hi-Fi gear in various ways and have no regrets or shame whatsoever doing it. What works fine and you like is the recipe in my view. Regards,

Richard

I use a XLS 1502 on my JBL 4739 bins from 45 Hz to 630 Hz in a active triamped home environment. Don't think I have ever heard the fan turn on and by all accounts it is very quiet when on. Good clean power, incredible amount of headroom and a high damping factor for tight controlled bass and smooth mids. Highly recommended. PS. If using in an active XO, time aligned setup, there is propagation delay in these amps, the XO delay will need to be readjusted accordingly.

I use Crown exclusively for Hi Fi. High damping. Passes the entire audio band with low distortion. Never going to change.

Mctwins
    Hallo!

I have Crown XLS2002 and tested on 4365, 4429, and JRX225 with great result. As you all said, the fan can't be heard even when driven hard. Great amp for hifi....

Quote Originally Posted by Mctwins View Post
    Hallo!

I have Crown XLS2002 and tested on 4365, 4429, and JRX225 with great result. As you all said, the fan can't be heard even when driven hard. Great amp for hifi....
    My old Yamaha M80 runs my JBL 1400s but its old and unreliable. My M60 went up in smoke recently.
    I was thinking of trying a Crown XLS 2500 on the JBL 1400s they cross at 160hz and 800hz.

I find that the JBL 1400s take a bit of driving only (89 db efficient) the M80 is 250W 8 ohm. Trying to replace it with a modern amp with the same power is just not a cost option hence my need for opinions on the Crown Amplifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ketley View Post
    My old Yamaha M80 runs my JBL 1400s but its old and unreliable. My M60 went up in smoke recently.
    I was thinking of trying a Crown XLS 2500 on the JBL 1400s they cross at 160hz and 800hz.

I find that the JBL 1400s take a bit of driving only (89 db efficient) the M80 is 250W 8 ohm. Trying to replace it with a modern amp with the same power is just not a cost option hence my need for opinions on the Crown Amplifiers.
    I have been informed that this amplifier summs the output at low frequency settings can anyone confirm?
    If so that would mean buying two and running in mono mode!

Quote Originally Posted by David Ketley View Post
    I have been informed that this amplifier summs the output at low frequency settings can anyone confirm?
    If so that would mean buying two and running in mono mode!
    Measurements of a Crown XLS 1502 here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...1502-amp.6062/
    It is a stereo amp with spec'd crosstalk > 85 dB at 1 kHz. It can be bridged for mono operation. The amp in stereo mode does not sum the output at low frequencies. From the manual:
    Amp Mode
    The AMP MODE menu is used to select one of three amplifier modes available in your XLS amplifier. The factory default is set to STEREO mode. In STEREO mode, Channel1 and Channel 2 both function as independent amplifiers...
    https://3e7777c294b9bcaa5486-bc95634...5_original.pdf
    I have one in my system and can confirm, in stereo mode, does not sum at low frequencies.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchco View Post
    Measurements of a Crown XLS 1502 here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...1502-amp.6062/
    It is a stereo amp with spec'd crosstalk > 85 dB at 1 kHz. It can be bridged for mono operation. The amp in stereo mode does not sum the output at low frequencies. From the manual:
    Amp Mode
    The AMP MODE menu is used to select one of three amplifier modes available in your XLS amplifier. The factory default is set to STEREO mode. In STEREO mode, Channel1 and Channel 2 both function as independent amplifiers...
    https://3e7777c294b9bcaa5486-bc95634...5_original.pdf
    I have one in my system and can confirm, in stereo mode, does not sum at low frequencies.
    Thanks for that. Another post on DIYAUDIO claimed it summed the Channels when set low.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchco View Post
    I use a XLS 1502 on my JBL 4739 bins from 45 Hz to 630 Hz in a active triamped home environment. Don't think I have ever heard the fan turn on and by all accounts it is very quiet when on. Good clean power, incredible amount of headroom and a high damping factor for tight controlled bass and smooth mids. Highly recommended. PS. If using in an active XO, time aligned setup, there is propagation delay in these amps, the XO delay will need to be readjusted accordingly.
    If using in an active XO, time aligned setup, there is propagation delay in these amps, the XO delay will need to be readjusted accordingly.[/QUOTE]

Can you please expand on that statement yes I use a Marchand XM44 crossover what values do these amps add or subtract from the signal. I can get cards to compensate I think.
    Thank you in anticipation

Thread Information