Altec 210 Voice of the Theatre cabinets out of the George Burns Theatre in south-eastern Michigan. Got 4 of them with wings. When standing up in an A4 configuratioin (with the wings attached) they are 7' tall, 39" deep, and just under 7' wide. Each. When two 210 cabinets are bolted together in an A2 configuration they are just under 9 1/2 feet wide.

Check out the mini A2 system someone just gave me. It was probably used as a demo model for Altec salesmen to take with them to various theaters around the country to try to sell them a sound system. They are very similar in scale and appearance to the real ones. The wings are somewhat out of proportion, but they're pretty close. Has a removable back panel for access to the woofers just like the real ones. Didn't have any speakers inside, but it looked like there were some at one time. Can't imagine what type of speaker was in there... The webmaster on the (un-official) Altec LansingTime web site said he's only seen one other one. Might be very rare. Wish I had two of them and they were functional speakers. Way cool........

Time for some new life for the 210 cabinets. Got to stiffen them dramatically and add some insulation to get the "binny"-ness out of them. Internal volume has to be reduced dramatically, and 8 JBL 2225's will have a new home. The spec sheet for 2225's says they will work o.k. with up to 10 feet of internal cabinet volume in a bass-reflex enclosure. That's for a single 15" speaker. Dug out the calculus book and (roughly) calculated 35 or 40 cubic feet of volume inside the 210 box. Have to go back and check my figures for sure.

Should I stick a single 18" (JBL of course) woofer in the lower part (right side in the picture) of the cabinet, or box it off, and drop in a large format JBL horn and compression driver? 2240/ 2241/ 2445/6 ???

Decisions, decisions........

This spring I'm going to veneer the horn part of the cabinet. Think they will look fantastic. It will be different, that's for sure. These babys should rip with eight 2225's in them. We'll see..........

Guy