Thread: EV sentry iii help?

EV sentry iii help?

Hi Guys
    l realize it's a Lansing forum but l'm sure they are held in high regard alongside JBL and Altec similar speakers. Any one know if these woofers in these sentries are original or perhaps from their pro range of woofers. They appear to have been refoamed with new foam and have the EV symbol on the dust cap. They are for sale all be it a long way away from me but l'm keen on them. l have asked the owner and he has only had them two months and is unsure of their history and has lost the original sellers contact details to ask them.
    Any one know?
    Thank youName:  s-l800.jpg
Views: 1913
Size:  60.7 KB

The woofers may be fine, but I do not think EV ever used those dust caps on the woofers for this speaker.

Here is additional info on the Sentry III: https://www.electrovoice.com/binary/...20II%20EDS.pdf

Widget

Hi JBeL,

EV did have a 15" woofer that looked like this with foan surround: the DL15W. But as Widget mentioned I'm not sure they originally had the "EV" on the dustcap. The dustcaps may have been replaced with those EV ones when the woofers were refoamed. The DL15W was part of the pro range. Regards,

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    Hi JBeL,

EV did have a 15" woofer that looked like this with foan surround: the DL15W. But as Widget mentioned I'm not sure they originally had the "EV" on the dustcap. The dustcaps may have been replaced with those EV ones when the woofers were refoamed. The DL15W was part of the pro range. Regards,

Richard
    Thanks Richard. I've seen these dustcaps on the Sentry iii series 1 model all be it with accordion surrounds on the 15".

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    The woofers may be fine, but I do not think EV ever used those dust caps on the woofers for this speaker.

Here is additional info on the Sentry III: https://www.electrovoice.com/binary/...20II%20EDS.pdf

Widget
    Thanks Mr Widget for info. l have seen the pdf you refer to... dosen't have a pic of the woofer as in the ones l'm looking at though.

Hi JBeL,

RE: "I've seen these dustcaps on the Sentry iii series 1 model all be it with accordion surrounds on the 15".

RE: "... dosen't have a pic of the woofer as in the ones l'm looking at though"

An accordion surround would seem surprising here: unless another driver used or a Frankenstein woofer...

Below is a pic of what an original Sentry III (first edition) should look like. Though the pic is small, woofer appears to have a foam surround and no "EV" indication on the dustcap. That should be the reference.

On the DL15W foam surround woofer spec sheet, the driver pic shows maybe half the dustcap and no "EV" indication in sight. Yours could be a DL15W with another dustcap or even an oem EV driver made specifically for that Sentry III.

When refoaming surrounds, some folks do cutoff the dustcaps in order to shim so the cone doesn't move and keeps the right gap. Then the person doing the job maybe had on-hand proper size dustcaps with the "EV" on them as replacements, so put these on... I think the above could be the likely explanations.

The Sentry III original pic here also reveals another "difference" with your picture (under the horn tweeter). The vent is a two-part one, but on your pic, contrary to the original pic, the lower part of it is blocked by the port cover, meaning the box is in low-frequency step-down mode, and normally it shouldn't be with cover on, unless one has or gets the EV SEQ equalizer that goes with this.

EV doesn't recommend the use of its speakers in step-down mode (port cover on) without EQ use. As I recall, the normal box tuning here is around 40 hz and the step-down tuning is around 28 hz.

Simply stated, downtuning a box puts more strain on a woofer (having to reproduce lower frequencies), which the EQ normally "compensates" for this, and if you have that port cover on with no EQ, the bass will sound weaker since the woofer now has to reach lower, therefore work harder (more excursion) to deliver a higher VLF level you may want to achieve. If you don't get the SEQ with the speakers, its better to remove the port cover and leave it that way.

Btw in another forum I was reading a fellow's comments on the Sentry III sounding better than the Sentry IV. Well, that should usually be the case considering the Sentry III is a monitor type loudspeaker, whereas the Sentry IV (all horn loaded, including LF) is a Sound Reinforcement loudspeaker system engineered for max output. Two different animals for different purposes. I guess the fellow didn't realize the Sentry IV isn't an updated/improvement of the Sentry III, so comparing different beasts... Regards,

Richard

Name:  E V Sentry iii speaker-ad-1-pg-article-specs-.jpg
Views: 2411
Size:  16.3 KB

Hi JBeL,

RE: "I've seen these dustcaps on the Sentry iii series 1 model all be it with accordion surrounds on the 15".

RE: "... dosen't have a pic of the woofer as in the ones l'm looking at though"

An accordion surround would seem surprising here: unless another driver used or a Frankenstein woofer...

Below is a pic of what an original Sentry III (first edition) should look like. Though the pic is small, woofer appears to have a foam surround and no "EV" indication on the dustcap. That should be the reference.

On the DL15W foam surround woofer spec sheet, the driver pic shows maybe half the dustcap and no "EV" indication in sight. Yours could be a DL15W with another dustcap or even an oem EV driver made specifically for that Sentry III.

When refoaming surrounds, some folks do cutoff the dustcaps in order to shim so the cone doesn't move and keeps the right gap. Then the person doing the job maybe had on-hand proper size dustcaps with the "EV" on them as replacements, so put these on... I think the above could be the likely explanations.

The Sentry III original pic here also reveals another "difference" with your picture (under the horn tweeter). The vent is a two-part one, but on your pic, contrary to the original pic, the lower part of it is blocked by the port cover, meaning the box is in low-frequency step-down mode, and normally it shouldn't be with cover on, unless one has or gets the EV SEQ equalizer that goes with this.

EV doesn't recommend the use of its speakers in step-down mode (port cover on) without EQ use. As I recall, the normal box tuning here is around 40 hz and the step-down tuning is around 28 hz.

Simply stated, downtuning a box puts more strain on a woofer (having to reproduce lower frequencies), which the EQ normally "compensates" for this, and if you have that port cover on with no EQ, the bass will sound weaker since the woofer now has to reach lower, therefore work harder (more excursion) to deliver a higher VLF level you may want to achieve. If you don't get the SEQ with the speakers, its better to remove the port cover and leave it that way.

Btw in another forum I was reading a fellow's comments on the Sentry III sounding better than the Sentry IV. Well, that should usually be the case considering the Sentry III is a monitor type loudspeaker, whereas the Sentry IV (all horn loaded, including LF) is a Sound Reinforcement loudspeaker system engineered for max output. Two different animals for different purposes. I guess the fellow didn't realize the Sentry IV isn't an updated/improvement of the Sentry III, so comparing different beasts... Regards,

Richard

Name:  E V Sentry iii speaker-ad-1-pg-article-specs-.jpg
Views: 2411
Size:  16.3 KB
    Thanks again Richard. Yes l did notice the cover was over the bottom port hole. These ones don't come with th SEQ eq..

Hi JBeL,

Richard
    MyTL3512 subs have DL18W woofers. They originally had "EV" on the dust caps, shown also in the literature for this subwoofer model.

EV is a bit more complicated on their components. The DL15W (or DL18W) is the general purpose over-reaching consumer designation (aka "Product Number"). The actual number is typically a 3 or 4 digit number, then a hyphen, then a 3-4 digit number.

So a DL15W could be an 815-0562 or 815-1197 or 815-2203 or 815-761. Often, the different numbers represent production changes (could have switch suppliers of some part that they consider to not impact performance). Sometimes it does represent a different build where things like the EV logo may or may not appear on a dust dome. For cinema, for instance, no logos are allowed because they will reflect light back through the movie screen. On cone drivers, the actual production number is typically on one of the legs of the spider.

The closest I have from some old info on the Sentry III is:

SENTRY3 3/2 1064-9713 ---
    XOVER --- 87893
    MIDRANGE --- 1823-9119
    TWEETER --- 829-8874
    WOOFER --- 815-9062

The 815-9062 does not cross (on my sheet) to a raw "off-the-shelf" 15" EV driver Its old recone kit number
    89947XX,
    is, or should I say, "was" the DL15W cone kit. The dust dome on that kit was the
    That is a plain dome. (or I don't see any indications that it should have an EV logo on it. Normally a dome number would have a suffix letter if it has the logo with an "F" being a gold EV logo and "A" being a white one). Note, EV did make component parts available so if a customer wanted or didn't want a logo on the dome, either was equally possible.

Thread Information