To badman re post # 15: my understanding is that a round tube made gasket (see Barry's posts) will give a flat ring shape when compressed in place.

Hi Kay,

You're right the circumference of a circle is Pi X diameter.

I still have my original paper/cardboard 2214H gaskets, with pre-made holes, from 1991 and never used them, stored in a bag ever since. A manufacturer's insult to speaker builders in my view, low cost being King I guess. I wouldn't purchase any paper/cardboard gaskets if I were you. If someone wants these "gaskets" they're yours for the asking.

A good gasket should be compliant, have some compression (i.e. "spongy") to prevent or seal any air leak. The 2214 gaskets sure don't meet the criteria at all since they're rigid with no compression whatsoever, more like a thin molding than a gasket...

The gaskets I use are either some kind of foam type or rubber, plus compliant with compression.

I keep numerous gasket sizes in stock, accumulated over the years and store them in plastic bags so they don't dry. Unfortunately no 15" or more left... but still have many about any size from tweeter to 12"+ or so.

If need be I also make some from small compliant, empty inside, rubber like tubing I have and bond the ends with instant adhesive as mentioned by Barry and never had an issue yet on smaller drivers.

I agree with badman, weather stripping tape, which comes in various widths and thickness, is probably another best friend in the absence of real gaskets. I also keep various sizes of this adhesive tape on-hand.

For some unknown reason getting good speaker gaskets, an elementary requirement, has been difficult for some time (at least here), hence my accumulation of these whenever I see something acceptable.

The latest European woofers I purchased (Fane Acoustics and SB Acoustics) did come with rubber or foam gaskets respectively pre-installed. Regards,

Richard

P.S. In case you need more ideas on material type used I could post picture(s), let me know.