Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LE14A Full Range?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Sorry, missed or forgot that.

That’s probably not the issue then.

Widget
    No problem. I would like to get the most out of the LE14A's but I don't think that the S99 cabinet, crossover and tweeter are the best companions for it.

I had thought about building a S1 system but that gets expensive and from what I have read here, is not all that great either.

I would like a system that sounds as good as the L110's I have but with a little more bass for use in a larger room. The L110's are currently in a small listening room in the basement and are the perfect size for that setting.

Quote Originally Posted by bedrock602 View Post
    No problem. I would like to get the most out of the LE14A's but I don't think that the S99 cabinet, crossover and tweeter are the best companions for it.

I had thought about building a S1 system but that gets expensive and from what I have read here, is not all that great either.

I would like a system that sounds as good as the L110's I have but with a little more bass for use in a larger room. The L110's are currently in a small listening room in the basement and are the perfect size for that setting.

A great way to get familiar ( + intimate ) with the sound of your le14 is to ( indeed ) listen to it full range with a "smidge" of UHF ( mostly above 10K ) filling in the "air" .

This setup will allow you to focus on the midrange character of what that fourteen incher delivers and allow you to make some personal assessments.

Attach virtually any 4-8 ohm tweeter ( HiPassed with a simple 1uF cap ) and you will mimic the setup that I'm suggesting .

"Real-Life", it's pretty rough ( at least> visually ) above 1K .

Compare to a representative trace of a older Altec 414-8B ( which is showing higher THD, btw );

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    A great way to get familiar ( + intimate ) with the sound of your le14 is to ( indeed ) listen to it full range with a "smidge" of UHF ( mostly above 10K ) filling in the "air" .

This setup will allow you to focus on the midrange character of what that fourteen incher delivers and allow you to make some personal assessments.

Attach virtually any 4-8 ohm tweeter ( HiPassed with a simple 1uF cap ) and you will mimic the setup that I'm suggesting .
    I just happen to have some 1.0uF caps and will give it a shot.

Honk Gone

But it sounds like I'm going deaf

Name:  IMG_0382[1].jpg
Views: 538
Size:  45.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_0383[1].jpg
Views: 583
Size:  54.7 KB

Not Bad

I removed the 1uF cap and replaced it with a 10uF cap to lower the crossover point and these S99's sound very lively with plenty of deep bass. Not as refined a sound as the L110 but maybe a properly designed crossover or simply a re-cap of the stock crossover would improve things.

Getting Interesting

I've had these B&C horns, Altec 806A's and N-800-F crossovers for some time and had considered using them with the LE14A's but in a larger cabinet. While I had the S99's apart I decided to try the horns with them as-is.

Huge, HUGE improvement over the LE20's and stock crossover. The low crossover point allows the woofers to do what they seem to do best, deep, clear bass.

Name:  IMG_0389[1].jpg
Views: 496
Size:  41.4 KB

I've had these B&C horns, Altec 806A's and N-800-F crossovers for some time and had considered using them with the LE14A's but in a larger cabinet. While I had the S99's apart I decided to try the horns with them as-is.

Huge, HUGE improvement over the LE20's and stock crossover. The low crossover point allows the woofers to do what they seem to do best, deep, clear bass.
    Sounds like you are on the right track.

Widget

Sounds like you are on the right track.

Widget
    Thanks, I hope so, as winding as that track may be .

My early assumption of the LE14A woofer not being a good match for the S99 cabinet was completely wrong. Listening to them crossed over at 800hz, they sound very, VERY good, so I will keep the woofers and cabinets together.

The B&C horns don't seem to respond that low, specs state they go as low as 1000hz and on music familiar to me, I can hear things missing. Also, at the top there is a bit of shrill. I dug out the 811B horns that came with the drivers and gave them a listen last night and this morning. The music is all there and very nice sounding but the horns can't live atop the S99's forever.

Name:  IMG_0390[1].jpg
Views: 500
Size:  39.6 KB

Thanks, I hope so, as winding as that track may be .

My early assumption of the LE14A woofer not being a good match for the S99 cabinet was completely wrong. Listening to them crossed over at 800hz, they sound very, VERY good, so I will keep the woofers and cabinets together.

The B&C horns don't seem to respond that low, specs state they go as low as 1000hz and on music familiar to me, I can hear things missing. Also, at the top there is a bit of shrill. I dug out the 811B horns that came with the drivers and gave them a listen last night and this morning. The music is all there and very nice sounding but the horns can't live atop the S99's forever.
    Your discoveries align with my experience. The vintage JBL cone and dome tweeters and their crossovers are often not as good as the woofers.

You've also discovered that the better sounding horns are almost always larger than you would like. The 511B crossed over at 800Hz will sound even better, but it is even larger!

Widget

You could use MRII994 Mantary horns and they'll sound yet better.

Your discoveries align with my experience. The vintage JBL cone and dome tweeters and their crossovers are often not as good as the woofers.

You've also discovered that the better sounding horns are almost always larger than you would like. The 511B crossed over at 800Hz will sound even better, but it is even larger!

Widget
    Yes, 511B would be out of the question for this little room. A friend has a pair of "potato mashers" (he didn't say which model) that I will take a look at tomorrow.

My goal is to bring these S99's up to a level that would take the place of the L110. Whether I go with horns or cones, all of the components will need to live inside the enclosures.

Quote Originally Posted by sguttag View Post
    You could use MRII994 Mantary horns and they'll sound yet better.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I found an Altec catalog here that has those horns, unfortunately, they are way too big for my purposes. They're even bigger than the 811B's.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...ro/1993-27.JPG

Generally, size goes hand-in-hand with pattern control and loading, when tend to directly affect sound quality.

My goal is to bring these S99's up to a level that would take the place of the L110. Whether I go with horns or cones, all of the components will need to live inside the enclosures.
    In my opinion the potato mashers and other smaller horns are all a bit disappointing sounding. If the goal is to reuse the enclosures and keep all components in the boxes, I’d suggest going with cone/dome drivers.

If if it was my project I would look at the better drivers from some of the Scandinavian manufacturers or perhaps Morel.

Widget

In my opinion the potato mashers and other smaller horns are all a bit disappointing sounding. If the goal is to reuse the enclosures and keep all components in the boxes, I’d suggest going with cone/dome drivers.
    I was thinking along the same lines.

If if it was my project I would look at the better drivers from some of the Scandinavian manufacturers or perhaps Morel.

Widget
    Thanks for the advice, will look into Madisound and PE. If there are other sources for drivers and crossover components, please post them.

Thread Information