Thread: JBL 4355 diaphragm options

JBL 4355 diaphragm options

No success with tracking down a pair 2441 diaphragms so I am now considering other options while I wait for a pair.

Besides the obvious Beryllium diaphragms are there any other genuine JBL diaphragms that would do the system justice? Do any of the newer aquaplas'd diaphragms fit in 2440 cores?

Looks like my only real option may be the Radian 1245 but I don't want to soften things up and I think the 2445 may do the opposite and make it too harsh.

Can anyone confirm that the 2451SL diaphragm is the best available option. It has been confirmed that it fits in the 2440 core and appears to be a 2445 aquaplas'd.

Hello,

I got 2440 and 2441 and they are very good with aluminium dia, the 2441 aluminium diamond dia is the one avalaible for both.

But in the last months I bought a pair 2450 and pair 2451SL, for listening tests and I decided to sell my 2441 because the 2450 his truly better than 2441.
    I also listened 2451SL titanium aquaplas dia and the 2450 titanium ribbed and the result is evident, the aquaplas is better so I decided to put the aquaplas dia in my 2450 to fit with my 2 inches 2397 horns. (Aquaplas is smooth and the ribbed is harsh, for home use don't go with the ribbed)

This is my conclusion: go with 2450 for 2 inches horns or equivalent 2451SL or 2450SL for 1.5 inch horn but use titanium aquaplas dia for both.

Sorry for my bad english.
    Music is emotion.

Did you ever try the 2451SL in the 2440/2441 core?

Quote Originally Posted by kelossus View Post

I really doubt that you'll get the 2450SL or 2451SL diaphragms to properly fit into a 2440/2441 core.

The reason is the gaps are narrower in those older Alnicos.

Also, the newer Ferrites & Neodymium cores have a cut-out machined into the gap to accommodate the 2 bulges ( found in the voice-coil caused by the leadin wires ).

Compounding all this is the newer coils being made in Mexico are made with a much more lax QC ( as one would wish when buying long-distance > especially in your case ).

IMHO, you are at risk throwing your money away no matter what type of diaphragm you buy ( the odds are more than 50% against a favorable outcome ).

Buy through a Aussie supplier and have them exercise the necessary QC to make your project worthwhile.

Alternately, buy some used 2450's ( from the US ) or Canada and have ( new diaphragms of your choice ) professionally fitted ( & tested by someone like SpeakerEx or Ken at UpLands ) before they're shipped out to you ( maybe that's just wishful thinking that someone offers this service ).

No, a pro told me it was not compatible so I did not try it.
    Music is emotion.

Damn. Over the last few days I was talking myself in to the 2451SL's. Pity they don't fit.

With all this considered I might just a buy a pair of Radian's. They are cheap enough as is and should tie me over till I find a pair of 2441's or can justify/afford the BE diaphragms.

I have tried contacting Ken at Upland. I was considering a pair of 2445 diaphragms and letting him aquaplas them. Is he still around?

Damn. Over the last few days I was talking myself in to the 2451SL's. Pity they don't fit.

With all this considered I might just a buy a pair of Radian's. They are cheap enough as is and should tie me over till I find a pair of 2441's or can justify/afford the BE diaphragms.

I have tried contacting Ken at Upland. I was considering a pair of 2445 diaphragms and letting him aquaplas them. Is he still around?
    The Radians are likely your best choice > they'll mostly work, though the plastic surround makes them sound closer to the original 2440 ( IOW + IME, sounding "softer in the top-end" than an actual 2441 ).

The Be diaphragms may also not fit properly and then the financial damage is even worse if that happens.

Ken ( Upland ) ?? he posted on this L-H Forum within the last 14 days ( re; 2245H 18" woofers ).

http://www.uplandloudspeaker.com/

Just done a bit more reading. Scattered throughout the forums are few mentions of peopling fitting a 2451SL in a 2440/2441 core. Also mention of the BE phragms fitting. Still not game to outlay the money myself when there is a hint of uncertainty.

Asked the question to SpeakerEX if the 2451SL's will fit. Hopefully they will know.

I have tried emailing Ken @ Upland a few times over the last year. Probably prefers a phone call rather than the hassle of emailing back and forth.

Thumbs up

Just done a bit more reading. Scattered throughout the forums are few mentions of peopling fitting a 2451SL in a 2440/2441 core. Also mention of the BE phragms fitting. Still not game to outlay the money myself when there is a hint of uncertainty.

Asked the question to SpeakerEX if the 2451SL's will fit. Hopefully they will know.

I have tried emailing Ken @ Upland a few times over the last year. Probably prefers a phone call rather than the hassle of emailing back and forth.
    When I was in the process of changing my old (1979) 375 dia to 2441 a couple years go, being a product development technician in engineering, I was . . . surprised to see how crude the machining was in the gap. It is an extremely difficult milling operation where you have to plunge vertically down into a blind hole (curved slot). Actually, it is not recommend - almost impossible to hold dimensions. So, I am not surprised to hear all the conflicting info re what will fit and what will not. On my 375, the fit was "line to line" on one spot and I had to do a little scraping to get clearance for the voice coil. But, in any case, the 2441 dia sounds very good WHEN EVERYTHING IS SET UP PROPERLY. Not to mention the quality of any given recording. I'd say, guess, in most cases, people are "spinning their wheels" in this endeavor. Just throwing money at it when they need to be looking more at the overall system. One man's opinion.

Speaker Exchange got back to me. They said the 2451 diaphragm fits in the 2440. As the 2451SL is the same thing just aquaplas'ed they think it would fit fine but haven't done it before.

So looks it may be between the Radians and the 2451SL. I would prefer to keep everything legacy in the 4355's but seeing as the 2441 is now discontinued I don't have a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mannermusic View Post
    Just throwing money at it when they need to be looking more at the overall system. One man's opinion.
    Unsure what you mean by this. I have a pair of 4355 and need a replacement pair of diaphragms. The 2441 is now discontinued so an alternative is my only option until a pair surfaces somewhere.

Speaker Exchange got back to me. They said the 2451 diaphragm fits in the 2440. As the 2451SL is the same thing just aquaplas'ed they think it would fit fine but haven't done it before.

So looks it may be between the Radians and the 2451SL. I would prefer to keep everything legacy in the 4355's but seeing as the 2441 is now discontinued I don't have a choice.

Unsure what you mean by this. I have a pair of 4355 and need a replacement pair of diaphragms. The 2441 is now discontinued so an alternative is my only option until a pair surfaces somewhere.
    Agree. Hard to believe JBL discontinued the 2441. I was making a general comment, sorry to mislead, offend. Mike

Ended up buying this "lightly used" pair of diaphragms. Pic's are not the best but the seller assured me they are in good condition. Do any of the numbers on the side of the phragms indicate a manufacture date?

Also would a few tiny dents from the previous installation have a measurable effect on the sound? Once installed I will measure the drivers and see for myself but any foresight would be appreciated.

Name:  01717_4YDgxUtmYTv_1200x900.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  47.4 KBName:  00s0s_87U8t5uQ6rS_1200x900.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  49.5 KBName:  00v0v_hB32CNTRamY_1200x900.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  77.0 KBName:  00H0H_6mO0eHfErvD_1200x900.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  84.1 KB

I would not be an anxious about tiny dents.
    Being aluminum, I would think the eventually demise of the suspension would cause more grief... hopefully, very far down the road, particularly if lightly used as purported.
    Nice to have found original versions.

Thread Information