Thread: A New Clarity to an Old Standard Brings a New Meaning

A New Clarity to an Old Standard Brings a New Meaning

How many times have you heard Sunshine of Your Love by Cream? Maybe too many to count.

But the other day was the first time that I ever listened to it over the Ethyl Mermans (JBL 2241H/2251J/Heil AMT w/Wedgie) in their current configuration.

Did I just hear what I think I heard? There can be no mistaking it.

All this time I thought that Jack Bruce sang this as a love song, with Eric adding the harmony.

No, No, No... It was instantly clear that Jack and Eric were swapping "line for line" and the song takes on a different meaning. Now, it can be thought of as more of as The Girl Is Mine by Michael Jackson and Paul McCartney where the two guys are actually competing for the same girl.

OK, switch to the "L300s."

Yes, the difference is there, but nowhere near to the same extent. In "casual listening" one could easily mistake the two of them. The chestyness, and less clarity, inherent in Eric's obviously weaker voice is much less obvious because the 2235 is adding its own chestyness to both of them, and the Mermans image so much better and present such a more distinct sound stage as to better separate their locations. Also, keeping the vocals mainly in the 10" accordion-edge woofer (from ~300 Hz to ~3,500 Hz) adds a coherency that is lost in the transition from the 2235 to the 2420 of the L300s. There is also an added "slam" associated with the 2251J.

Finally, the accordion edge of the 2241 lets it follow the bass and track the lower vocal range better than the 2235 and the bass guitar takes on a "live texture" that you don't get with the foam edge/mass ring combination. The bass guitar actually sounds like a bass guitar.

Think about it..., when was the last time you ever saw a live performance where the bass (or anything for that matter) was played though a foam-edged woofer?

Cool Stuff Todd!

Have you listened to Disreali Gears yet on your big Altecs?

If so what do you think?

Reference Material:

Tom Dowd

Atlantic Studios

Atlantic Records

No.

I've not listened to the Altecs that much because the Soundcraftsmen has an audible hum, and if I don't use that, I need to get another amp to tri-amp them.

Thread Information