Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reviving the Most Abused JBL L300

Reviving the Most Abused JBL L300

I stumbled upon a pair of JBL L300A speakers. They were posted as a "curb alert" on a local Facebook group. I offered the poster some money to purchase them and hold them for pickup, but they insisted the speakers were trash. I came to get the beasts, and they have definitely seen better days, as seen in the photos below. I'm undertaking these as a full restoration project to get them looking good as new. Thankfully the components all work and sound wonderful, with the exception of the woofers that need new surrounds. I have new surrounds in transport currently. I look forward to sharing the progress with y'all!

Photos are HERE

I like seeing people with aspirations like this. Always love a good restore thread. Those definitely have seen better days. Look forward to following this. Congrats on the acquisition.

Those aren't terrible. Keep us posted. Following.

Very nice find! I'm guessing you got them at a very nice price even considering the raw components with xovers are worth a lot. Looks like a very fun project even though the re veneering is a pain. Show us the process as you go if you can. Congrats!

It's just a flesh wound!

Having the components is a major plus. If it was just the cabinets in that shape it'd be a toss up, but with the innards intact I say go for it.

Photos of the flesh wound.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

A worthy project!

Curious how many would rebuild the cabs vs building all new enclosures for these. I've seen some miracle work with arcade cabinets but I always wonder with stuff like this how far is too far?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    It's just a flesh wound!

Having the components is a major plus. If it was just the cabinets in that shape it'd be a toss up, but with the innards intact I say go for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mortron View Post
    Curious how many would rebuild the cabs vs building all new enclosures for these. I've seen some miracle work with arcade cabinets but I always wonder with stuff like this how far is too far?
    From here, I don't see any structural damage.

I'd surely take on a restore, before giving up to go to a new cab .. IMHO only.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    From here, I don't see any structural damage.

I'd surely take on a restore, before giving up to go to a new cab .. IMHO only.
    I'd agree on this statement. There isn't any structural damage despite the darn particle board stands that will be ripped off and replace with some real wood. The veneer is in good shape and I think will clean up well with some light sanding, some oil, some stain. The black portions are just peeling with slight scratches that I can sand level again easily. Cabs are just fine to be restored.

Awesome find.

Awesome find. Having built a pair of these from scratch, I'd say restoring these should not be that difficult. You are very lucky to have found these! Especially with the components. I envy you.

Jbl l300

Love the photos. I'm guessing you got them at a very nice price even considering the raw components with xovers are worth a lot. Looks like a very fun project even though the re veneering is a pain. Show us the process as you go if you can. Congrats! -HH

Quote Originally Posted by mortron View Post
    A couple of years ago I picked up some L26's that were equally abused. After some TLC,
    they came out very nice,, not perfect, but very presentable and enjoyable.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

My back has been killing me lately, so I had a furniture restoration buddy pick these up today to help me restore to their former glory. I popped the woofers out beforehand so I can refoam while he refinishes.

Name:  IMG_4690.jpg
Views: 1868
Size:  125.5 KB

Oh, I'd definitely try to restore those. Finish stripping all the black paint off and make a sanding plane to take down any high spots in the particle board. As far as those ports.. I'd try to glue the peeling layer right back down where it was originally so it's solid. Easy to repaint flat black. I'd reveneer as as well using the Titebond 1 glue hot iron method (only the side/s with damage) and fill in the voids at the rear with a rock hard drying epoxy you can sand to plane in perfectly flat. It will be easier to roll the veneer on the top area using the iron's heat and the Titebond 1 method. I'd personally use non-paper backed veneer.. black walnut. It's pretty much what they used back then on these. I'd even do the tops in black walnut instead of black paint but that's just me. Get custom cut smoked glass tops cut to fit. Easy! LOL. But certainly worth it. Those foilcals might be the hardest to get off without damaging. I'd suggest blasting with a hairdryer to see if it loosens it. Don't pry or lift cause it will bend and crease and be ruined. Agree on just removing particle board toe kick bases and building new ones out of solid walnut the exact same size. Possibly the best curb find I've ever seen anyone grab.. that's for sure. Nice!
    4333As, Valencias

Thread Information