Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Urei 815C vs JBL 4350/4355

Urei 813c or 815c to have a listen first.
    If i do not find one i guess i will go with the JBL 4350/4355
    OK if you like them great but none of them are supported so if you loose a driver and need to re-cone. You are out of luck.

Both the E-145 and 801C usable for the coaxial 15 in the 811/813/815C are long gone so are the LE-15's. The earlier Altec's coaxial s might be fixable through Great Plains. The helper woofers in those would also not be OEM re-cones.

The 4350/4355 no woofers re-cones might get luck with 2235's but can't depend on it and no 12" 2202

I don't know why you don't try a sub with what you already have might save you some money in the long run.

Well in any case good luck hope you find something you like.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Well im willing to risk that.
    I will simply buy a pair in good condition. If i really need to fix a driver some day there are special companys who do custom work...

now i will see if i can find someone with a pair of Urei 813c or 815c.

Yes, those are UREI 813 in the video. I can't tell if they're "B" or "C". Very different beasts. Unusual installation in that the horns which have very narrow vertical dispersion are installed at the top, and don't appear to be tilted downwards. Perhaps you could visit this studio and hear them?

It does seem that we're mostly trying to talk you out of using 40 plus year old monitors for this type of work for all the above stated reasons, but if it's what you're after....

Someone mentioned Quested monitors earlier, and I think that would be an excellent way to go. They can run hard and loud. Here's a passive pair not far from you for sale with the MC2 amplifier. It would be an easy change to go active 3 way with these and work in the digital domain, compared to either of the vintage JBL types. That soft dome midrange driver is excellent.

https://www.tutti.ch/de/vi/zuerich/t...2-amp/22011938

Well those modern Monitors would may be the most rational decision, but i do not want modern Monitors.

Im pretty sure the JBL 4350/4355 is exactly what i am looking for.
    The Urei 815c would be my second choice if they sound good because they look good and are way cheaper.

That Studio belongs to the Tunnel Club / Tunnel Records in Hamburg, Germany.
    The Club relocated to the Reeperbahn i do not think the Studio still exist and if i doubt they still have the Urei 813's. But i may ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_ View Post
    Well those modern Monitors would may be the most rational decision, but i do not want modern Monitors.

Im pretty sure the JBL 4350/4355 is exactly what i am looking for.
    The Urei 815c would be my second choice if they sound good because they look good and are way cheaper.

That Studio belongs to the Tunnel Club / Tunnel Records in Hamburg, Germany.
    The Club relocated to the Reeperbahn i do not think the Studio still exist and if i doubt they still have the Urei 813's. But i may ask.
    If you only like vintage JBL for your EDM studio(i'm not sure your EDM would be popular),just directly go 4355!
    My order:4355>4350>4345>M9500>S9500>4435,forget Urei
    46 lover

Well i really wonder why so many people are trying to talk me out of the JBL/Ureis.
    In my Experience the Speakers from the 70s/80s always beat the new ones...
    Back in the 90s a lot of people used speakers from the 80s for making techno, and you know what, the mixes are better as from a lot stuff released today.

thats of course just my opinion and there are of course also good speakers made today.

Well i really wonder why so many people are trying to talk me out of the JBL/Ureis.
    Experience.

In my Experience the Speakers from the 70s/80s always beat the new ones...
    Back in the 90s a lot of people used speakers from the 80s for making techno, and you know what, the mixes are better as from a lot stuff released today.

thats of course just my opinion and there are of course also good speakers made today.
    There is a lot of junk being sold today at the lower end of the market, both home and pro, but if you tried a pair of M2s or Everest2s I think you would be blown away. There are very good reasons why JBL isn’t still making those older designs.

This isn’t to say that many of the vintage speakers don’t offer real value, but they can’t compete against the best today has to offer.

Widget

Well in the end its just a suggestion that the JBL 4350/4355 are the right speaker for me as i never had the chance to listen to one. (I just like the old JBL Speakers in general)
    Therefore i will see if i can find a pair of Urei 813/815c and JBL 4350/4355 to have a listen first.

Maybe your right and a modern 2 Way Speaker like the JBL M2 is better than a 3+ Way Speaker from the 80s, i guess technically it is but it comes also down to personal taste.
    You cant huge on technical specs alone.

By the way, what is a good price for a pair of Urei 815C's and JBL 4350/4355's?
    I did a little research but im not really into this.

Don’t get me wrong, the UERIs or the big JBLs can sound great, but the newer top of the line speakers are even better.

This is my opinion, based on decades of critical listening. It is also the opinion of numerous other pros and hobbiests alike. Many of us who have chimed in here have heard most or all of the speakers we are discussing. You should try to audition the vintage AND the new monitors.

Widget

Try this site. It searches auction/for sale listings worldwide. I see a pair of 813A in either the UK of maybe France asking 2800 Euro, and a pair of 4350 in Spain asking 7500 Euro, plus others.

https://www.hifishark.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Don’t get me wrong, the UERIs or the big JBLs can sound great, but the newer top of the line speakers are even better.

This is my opinion, based on decades of critical listening. It is also the opinion of numerous other pros and hobbiests alike. Many of us who have chimed in here have heard most or all of the speakers we are discussing. You should try to audition the vintage AND the new monitors.

Widget
    +1
    Bottom line: THERE JUST ARE NO PARTS! Recently researched the aftermarket offerings for LE15 and the basic R is not even correct. Would have to re-tweak the crossover, etc. Loosing battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post

Widget
    Mr.Widget,i'm afraid i could't agree with you on your certain viewpoints,i don't think the newer top of the line speakers will beat vintage JBL speakers in every aspect,because vintage JBL speakers have special taste than modern speakers especially on Jazz/Vocal/Pop/Classic music,even Rock&Roll,vintage JBL speakers have more rich emotion sound than new ones,that's why so many of us like vintage JBL speakers so much for so many yearsbut for modern music, vintage JBL speakers are hard to win modern speakers.
    Last edited by martin_wu99; 04-24-2019 at 06:13 AM. Reason: grammar
    46 lover

Quote Originally Posted by martin_wu99 View Post
    i don't think the newer top of the line speakers will beat vintage JBL speakers in every aspect,because vintage JBL speakers have special taste than modern speakers especially on Jazz/Vocal/Pop/Classic music,even Rock&Roll,vintage JBL speakers have more rich emotion sound than new ones
    I guess the vintage 4-way systems offer more dynamic impact due to the use of a 10-12" midwoofer.
    This probably makes them sound more livelike and punchy than the modern 3-way systems...

But the modern systems excel in other categories...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.db View Post
    I guess the vintage 4-way systems offer more dynamic impact due to the use of a 10-12" midwoofer.
    This probably makes them sound more livelike and punchy than the modern 3-way systems...

But the modern systems excel in other categories...
    Usually modern speakers have more dynamic range
    46 lover

Thread Information