Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Urei 815C vs JBL 4350/4355

Urei 815C vs JBL 4350/4355

Hi,

I love the Sound from Vintage JBL Speakers.
    I am looking for Big Main Monitors for my private Recording Studio.

I thought about buying a pair of JBL 4350/4355 but the Urei 815C look very good to.
    The Thing is i never had the chance to listen to any of those but im quite sure i will like the JBL as i like the JBL Sound.
    But i never heard anything from Urei. Iv got a Urei 1178 but thats a signal processor.

So normally i would buy the JBL 4350/4355 but the Urei 815C are way cheaper:
    https://reverb.com/item/10997307-2-u...tudio-monitors (The ad says 815A but the Speakers say 815C)

Does someone know both and can tell me if these are in the same leaguage?
    Will the 815c satisfy me if the 4350/4355 do?
    The Speakers will only be used to produce and listen to electronic dance music.

I haven't listened to either but I found this JBL tech note to be a good read.
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...me-1-Number-15

For what it's worth, the pics of the 815C's listed in the link, are stamped with a Logo/Watermark belonging to a reseller based out of California.

I'd be quite wary that this UK listed product is legit ( I think it's a scam ).

That said, a 4345 or equivalent would be my choice for mixing electronic dance tracks.

The listing is also incorrect. Those a c's not a's

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Its a sold listing, i put it up just for reference.

I just want to know if the 815C will be in the same ballpark as jbl 4350/4355.

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    I haven't listened to either but I found this JBL tech note to be a good read.http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...me-1-Number-15
    Yes its helpful thanks.
    Seems they are in the same ballpark but somewhat different. (of course, they are different designs)
    I would love to do what jbl suggest: listen to both and then decide.

Its not an easy decision, i think they are both good.
    JBL might be somewhat better but the ureis will only cost a fraction of the price and seem to be pretty good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    That said, a 4345 or equivalent would be my choice for mixing electronic dance tracks.
    Would you prefer 4345 over 4350/4355? if so, why?

The 4350/55 will play louder and with more midbass punch and less distortion up top. The 4435 and UREI will both image better than the 4350/55 and the 4435 will have the best bass of all three.

The UREIs and the 4435 are limited in terms of stress free high SPL output by their 1” compression drivers.

Widget

I don't know that either is suitable (desirable?) for recording/mastering electronic dance music on their own. These systems were in use when it wasn't necessary to reproduce a near square wave 15hz bass synthesizer or electronic drum kick.

I don't have working experience with the 43xx systems but I am familiar with the UREIs. Most studios EQed them, especially if they weren't soffit mounted. But they were EQed for mid-bass, not low bass. I can tell you those UREIs can be EQed enough in the mid-bass to make it hard to get out of a chair the drum kick is so solid. But even the manual stresses not to EQ them below 80hz. The drivers can't take it at high SPL and are probably only flat to 40ish hz.

My feeling is that if you want to use vintage monitors you'll need some modern high excursion subs, EQ, and some big amplifiers. I have 813C UREIs and two 18" 2245h subs under them. They're flat to 30hz in room, but you can barely hear or feel a 16hz organ pedal as they're down 10+ db at 15hz. You're going to be looking to be +6db at 15hz, not -10 for what you're doing.

I dont need to go down to 15hz.
    The Frequency Range from both the Urei's and the JBL's would be just fine.

What i want is a good sounding, linear Speaker that can go really loud.
    Iv got a pair of Yamaha NS10s for reference.

The 4350/55 will play louder and with more midbass punch and less distortion up top.
    I can tell you those UREIs can be EQed enough in the mid-bass to make it hard to get out of a chair the drum kick is so solid.
    That punch is one of the things i really like on the JBL speakers.
    But it seems urei will be nice too, also the 815C use JBL Drivers.

Its really hard to decide without listening too them.
    But if both would cost the same i would go with the JBLs i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_ View Post
    I dont need to go down to 15hz.
    The Frequency Range from both the Urei's and the JBL's would be just fine.....
    I would respectfully disagree. The UREIs (alone) even with EQ will not play as low as you will want, without distortion. You'll need subs below them, imho.

At the time the "C" version came out JBL owned the UREI company. JBL was marketing the UREIs against the 43xx/44xx monitors. Studios had to buy something, so win/win for JBL. They are a JBL manufactured product.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_ View Post
    Hi,

I love the Sound from Vintage JBL Speakers.
    I am looking for Big Main Monitors for my private Recording Studio.

I thought about buying a pair of JBL 4350/4355 but the Urei 815C look very good to.
    The Thing is i never had the chance to listen to any of those but im quite sure i will like the JBL as i like the JBL Sound.
    But i never heard anything from Urei. Iv got a Urei 1178 but thats a signal processor.

So normally i would buy the JBL 4350/4355 but the Urei 815C are way cheaper:
    https://reverb.com/item/10997307-2-u...tudio-monitors (The ad says 815A but the Speakers say 815C)

Does someone know both and can tell me if these are in the same leaguage?
    Will the 815c satisfy me if the 4350/4355 do?
    The Speakers will only be used to produce and listen to electronic dance music.
    To be honest,4350/4355 and 815c is not your best choice for your electronic dance music,perhaps Genelec/Dynaudio/ADAM/Quested is more suitable for you,they are more faster/cleaner/transparent/accurate modern speakers.
    4350/4355 and 815c are old school sound,it is a waste for electronic dance music.
    If you like JBL so much, you can try LSR6312/708i/M2/67000
    46 lover

To stay with the vintage concept, how about a pair of UREI 813s with separate subs? The pair of 2215s (LE15As) in the 815c are easily overdriven. They were stunning drivers in 1960, and still quite good in 1980, but by today’s standards, they really can’t keep up.

Widget

How low do you need the speakers to go (in approximate hertz), and how loud, in approximate decibels? How big is your room, and how far will you be from the speakers? Without any data, you will only receive speculation based on others experience, or lack of it, which usually ends poorly. I will abstain from giving too much opinion, but will focus on this: Many of us on the forum have speakers like you are considering, and have them because we rescued or purchased them from recording studios that were upgrading or going out of business. ALL of these speakers have bastard parts - non-original or reconed woofers, etc, because things get damaged in loud recording sessions, and the tech puts anything that works in the speaker to finish the session until they can repair the originals. Manufacturers like JBL assumed parts were going to fail, built their speakers to be serviced, and made lots of money selling overpriced parts to keep them working. None of these parts are available except rarely, and on the collectors market. If, like me, you were purchasing these for home use, I think you'd be fine - I like EDM, I listen to it occasionally on my 4343's, and like it, but I'm listening at maybe 85db. I equalize mine a little to pick up some extra bass, but I know there's almost an octave that just isn't there, and pushing a ported speaker at a frequency where the woofer is unloaded (20hz), is a great way to wreck it, so I don't push it. However, if you are trying to play at concert levels, playing music that is way beyond the design goal of the speaker, you are going to have repeated driver failures and will quickly run out of patience finding and buying overpriced parts. In 15yrs, I don't know that I have ever seen an original 4350 woofer (2231) recone kit available - even back then you had to put in the newer model 2235 kit, so keeping a pair of these original is impossible.

I understand the urge for a big set of monitors - if I was playing EDM on Yamaha NS10's, I'd really be itching for something big. Kind of like owning a classic Porsche but only being able to rev it in the garage - I'd really want to take it out and push it! If you have the money, my recommendation is to go buy a new pair of JBL M2's - they play loud, and low, and if you don't like them, you can resell them.
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

This is the kind of music i make and listen too:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdCFQhSUDng

You can see a pair of urei (813 i guess?) in the Studio btw.

At the moment i got a pair of ATC SCM 25A and Yamaha NS10 (both Nearfield Monitors) but i am moving to a new bigger room soon, i will get the room optimised for the new speakers.

The ATC Speakers go down to about 50hz and im fine with that.
    The JBL 4350 would go down to 30hz and the Urei 815C would go to 40hz so i think thats fine.

The biggest ATCs would also only go 5hz lower than the JBLs or 10hz if wall mounted.
    https://www.da-x.de/de/atc-scm-300-asl-pro.html

Im pretty sure the JBL 4350 would satisfy me, just dont know if the Urei 815s also do.
    Of course the JBL is the better speaker.
    Wish i could hear both bevor making a purchase.
    Especially the Ureis as i would risk it to purchase the JBLs without hearing them first.

At the moment i have a JBL PA System for checking the Tracks at Club Level in a different room.
    It got JBL 2226h Bass Drivers which i really like. (and also only go down to 30hz)

Well I own a pair of 4344's and if this is what you like dedicated subwoofers is the way to go with more modern drivers up top that are repairable as in supported by the manufacturer. Any of the vintage stuff is just that vintage. It won't handle the low end with the authority of modern subs, is a bitch to get parts for and is really dated. The newer stuff is just better all around. As good as my 4344's are my smaller Arrays kick the crap out of them as an example. YMMV

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Well im not sure if i really need a Subwoofer but i think the best way to go is to look around
    if i find someone with a pair of Urei 813c or 815c to have a listen first.
    If i do not find one i guess i will go with the JBL 4350/4355 and if necessary add modern Subs.

Thread Information