Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Urei 815C vs JBL 4350/4355

Michael,
    Please excuse my curiosity regarding your ultimate choices. I have done a fair bit of studio work in the not so distant past, so I know what my preferences could boil down to, which would likely be JBL and Urei. However, your thread and the nature of the numerous informed responses to it leave me at a loss as to why you would choose any system that you have not even heard.

Aside from the significant issue mentioned regarding parts availability, which can only become worse year by year, I am not convinced that the 4350/4355 types, as awesome as the truly are, would be the best monitors for the actual processes of tracking and mixing. If you will be producing content for use in your clubs, I can see it. But if the music you produce will be distributed to customers and played on their own wide-ranging choice of reproducers, I think there would be a critical disconnect since few of those end users would have loudspeakers with close to the sound qualities of the big, (BIG) JBL's.

Consider the choice of monitors by the late, great engineer and Imagineer Drew Daniels, whose studio was Sound Path Labs http://www.drewdaniels.com/ No large-format monitors, but rather JBL 250 Ti's and a number of much less vintage, smaller LSR's.

I know Drew would never produce records of less than the absolutely finest quality attainable. Obviously, his choice of monitors was KEY.

Considering your ample resources, the best solution IMHO would be having the incredible modern TOTL JBL's and/or UREI's for serious work, and some 4350/4355 for your personal listening pleasure and WOW factor.

In any case I know you will wind up with extraordinary speakers. That said, please bear in mind the importance of practical issues in the use of monitors for the creation of musical recordings of excellent and even better quality.

Regards abd best of luck, D.E., FSP/ML (Former Studio Person / Music Lover)
    "Why don't you Mine your own Bismuth, so you won't be mining mine?"

Hello, im new in this Forum and im from Germany.
    My english is not so good but i hope you understand me.

I gad found this threat and i hope i can help.
    I owned a lot of speakers an a lot of Main Monitors.

I had Tannoy DMT 215,Tannoy SRM15, Technics SB-M1,M2 an SB100, Jbl Olympus, 4412, 4310,11,12,JBL 4435,JBL4355,Urei 813C,809A,Geithain RL900 an RL901.
    In 4 weaks i became an Urei 815C.

An i can say, take the Urei 815C.

The 4355 is more problematic to drive an you need a very big room.
    The Urei is Coaxial and it is better for musikproduction, clear and direkt.

Best wishes
    Michael

Welcome to the forum, your English is fine!

I own (and owned) three generations of JBL studio monitors. 4425, UREI 813C and DMS-1. 813C is a nice classic sounding monitor, a kind of speaker that the more you like it the longer you live with it. It has some magic, and no wonder why it was ubiquitous in pro world in 70-80s. It has the sound signature of Altec 604, but in JBL way. Great midrange. 813C has been sitting in our living room, and we love them. Bottom end is somewhat soft, and the resolution is not something you'll be proud of compared to the other average modern monitors, so I'm a bit skeptical that 813C is suitable for modern studio production environment if you do a lot of electronic stuffs.

You'll want to replace 815C crossover caps with decent film ones. Original electrolytic caps sound bad from the beginning, and they are all dried out by now, which makes the speaker sound like old PA speakers sitting at at the lounge of the old hotel in Havana for 50 years, seriously.

I sold 4425 after I got 813C (Just because I have too many speakers). 4425 has its own charm; sparkling high end. I miss it sometimes. What JBL paper say is very true, UREI is more forwarding (beamy) than Bi-radial horn. I have no doubt 4435 to be a nice monitor. DMS-1 is the large monitor I currently use in my private studio. High resolution, tight but weighty bass, less warmth, more analytical. DMS was a JBL's least successful pro monitor, but it is a very capable monitor even today.

I do believe you have to soffit mount them for proper bass extension for studio monitoring, either you get UREI or 4435.

I guess the reason why 4435 is now more expensive that UREI is, 443x were also sold as consumer products. Very few people have a chance to hear UREI, and no one knows what UREI is. Also very few professional is buying large monitor these days as you know. Well, UREI looks like a huge Marshall stack with a blue packaging material is still attached for some reasons, so WAF is low, but for studio, who cares. Remember, UREI 815C was twice as expensive as 4435 when they were new. $2000 for a pair? super deal, I would snatch them if I don't own 813C already.

Good luck with your studio, and have fun!

Thank you.

Name:  20180214_213643.jpg
Views: 1932
Size:  103.9 KB

Name:  IMG-20150806-WA0014.jpg
Views: 1397
Size:  204.9 KB

Name:  IMG-20160703-WA0000.jpg
Views: 1395
Size:  127.7 KB

Name:  20170924_113223.jpg
Views: 1481
Size:  88.5 KB

I have buy my 813Cs from an Studio in Berlin.
    I had them at the German JBL Pro Service.
    The Crossovers where like new, no parts was bad.
    Best Price/Sound Speaker for me.

Great collection!
    46 lover

Very nice speakers. I also like your rooms.
    I may want to try to paint UREI white like yours.
    It doesn't look like a Marshall cabinet any more.

PS: If I would buy another large monitor, it would be Me Geithain. I heard them several times and I'm very impressed.

Thanks a lot.

ME Geithain are fantastic for Music Production an at home to.

But there are not so loud and for rockmusik i dont like him.
    Fleetwood Macs The Chain the Basspart in the Middel of the Song.
    Of big Mains is fantastic, the Geithain dont bring that feeling.

Aktual i have a pair Geithain RL901.
    Here fresh from the unpacking.

Name:  20190519_164150.jpg
Views: 1449
Size:  83.9 KB

Update Urei 815C in House.

Name:  20190527_230432.jpg
Views: 1693
Size:  75.5 KB

Michael, Dr. Electron pointed you in the direction of Drew Daniels monitors, and might I suggest you consider his ultimate Hi-Fi speakers which can be found in the jbl library under perspectives. You could build it with modern drivers that could be repaired. You could make more noise than a Louisiana house of ill-repute when the fleets in. As nice as they are, the systems you are looking at should be retired to domestic duty.

Have Fun

Ed
    KEEP ON LISTENING!

Quote Originally Posted by onkel böckes View Post
    Thanks a lot.

ME Geithain are fantastic for Music Production an at home to.

But there are not so loud and for rockmusik i dont like him.
    Fleetwood Macs The Chain the Basspart in the Middel of the Song.
    Of big Mains is fantastic, the Geithain dont bring that feeling.

Aktual i have a pair Geithain RL901.
    Here fresh from the unpacking.
    Dead thread, I know. However, I had to comment when I read the part about Fleetwood Mac's, "The Chain" and how it sounds on UREI's: I don't consider myself to be a big Fleetwood Mac fan, but yep, it's a damn fantastic experience that'll grab your attention. What stood out to me was the realism with the way the guitar strings rattled off the frets and the resonance of the deeper tones coupled with that clear guitar pickin', gave me chills. Cool to read someone else had a similar experience.

Thread Information