Thread: JBL 2226H depth

JBL 2226H depth

Hi, I'm looking into a potential build and have two questions:

1. Do you know the depth of the driver? I can see the mounting depth in the specs, but what exactly is this? Is this with or without the top frame of the driver? I'm looking for the _complete_ depth (i.e. front face and all the way back to the magnet)

2. I am planning to use it to smooth out the basse from ~60hz to 120hz in the room and the enclosure need to be shallow, sealed and not very large - close to 3 cu feet without considering the volume the driver will use. Can this work if only used to 60hz?

Hi Jonas,

RE: I can see the mounting depth in the specs, but what exactly is this?

Mounting depth is usually the part of the driver's depth inside the enclosure, from the front panel to rear of magnet (5.5" for 2226). The latter also requires at least 3" behind the magnet assembly/rear vent for cooling.

RE: (i.e. front face and all the way back to the magnet)

This is the total driver depth you're looking for. Not having the driver I can only give you an approximate numbers. My 2205H (an ancestor of the 2226) have about 5/8" outside the front of the box without considering the cork box gasket that came with the MA-15 mounting kit.

Remains the front panel thickness. The usual seen is 3/4" so I would add this amount for approximation.

Then you get 5.5" + 5/8" + 3/4" = 6.875" approx. or about 17.5 cm total depth. This should be relatively close.

As for a 2226 in say 2.75 cu.ft. net sealed box (including driver volume of 0.2 cu.ft.) I modeled this in Winspeakerz with QL 7 and half-space loading. At 60 hz you mentioned response is down almost - 7 db with a banana type looking LF curve. And at 3 cu.ft. the results are practically the same.

I hope this info can somehow help you. Regards,

Richard

Thread Information