I made a pair of grills/covers for the 2251Js used in the Ethyl Mermans. The cloth is sandwiched between two pieces of veneer cut on the laser table. The inside piece of veneer has four 1/4" holes located where the speaker screws are at. Acrylic plugs with neodymium magnets go into these holes and hold the grills in place. Of course the magnets are aligned with the magnetic field of the woofer as determined using a compass.

BTW, this is how I discovered that one of the 2241's had a reversed magnetic pole. Up until this point I just figured that the internal wires had been crossed by the PO when attaching the "Speaker-on" plugs.

I was going to use some "car door edge protector" strip to go around the perimeter, and even got some, but it did not make the span over the two pieces of veneer. A wider piece wouldn't make the curves. I may use some black tape to seal the edges, but it really doesn't bother me. The RTA shows no discernable changes in the spectrum or even dB level with the grills on or off.