Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2241H Magnets Out of Phase!!!

2241H Magnets Out of Phase!!!

Weird as it may seem, the magnets in the 2241Hs in my Ethyl Mermans are out of phase! No wonder I could never get them to phase correctly using the terminal colors.

I confirmed this using a compass. On one of the 2241Hs the negative needle on the compass points toward the woofer from the front and vice versa from the back. The two AlNiCo "2235s" in the L200 cabinets are also like this. But the magnetic polarity on the other 2241 is reversed! That's just crazy!!!

They are/were wired in phase using a battery to set polarity rather than terminal color, but I wonder if this would have any other effect. Weird!

Out of the 50 plus 2226’s I have, one of them has the magnetic pole inverted. Found with the battery test and confirmed via a compass.

It seems to perform like the others so I dont sweat it.

Something tells me when you blast a new motor to charge it that if it flips it’s that way for life.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin View Post
    Weird as it may seem, the magnets in the 2241Hs in my Ethyl Mermans are out of phase! No wonder I could never get them to phase correctly using the terminal colors.

I confirmed this using a compass. On one of the 2241Hs the negative needle on the compass points toward the woofer from the front and vice versa from the back. The two AlNiCo "2235s" in the L200 cabinets are also like this. But the magnetic polarity on the other 2241 is reversed! That's just crazy!!!

They are/were wired in phase using a battery to set polarity rather than terminal color, but I wonder if this would have any other effect. Weird!

Most of JBL drivers are reversed! Well known!
    You just need to reverse your wires!

Quote Originally Posted by Challenger604 View Post
    Most of JBL drivers are reversed! Well known!
    You just need to reverse your wires!
    You are missing the point. I have two 2241Hs and they are different. They should both be the same.

You are missing the point. I have two 2241Hs and they are different. They should both be the same.

I think you are missing it all!

I’m 99% sure that the 2235 does not exist in Alnico. The 2235 is a later model after JBL ran out of Alnico due to the cold war.

the 2241G/H are negative. It means that the negative (black) is the positive!

It could means that you have an after market cone on one... just need to reverse the polarity.

Do you know the difference between the 2234 and 2235?

I think you are missing it all!

I’m 99% sure that the 2235 does not exist in Alnico. The 2235 is a later model after JBL ran out of Alnico due to the cold war.

the 2241G/H are negative. It means that the negative (black) is the positive!

It could means that you have an after market cone on one... just need to reverse the polarity.

Do you know the difference between the 2234 and 2235?

An AlNiCo 2205 reconed as a 2235 qualifies as an AlNiCo 2235, and I know the differences all too well. Grumpy and I even checked the T/S parameters using WT-2 and they were the same as the 2235, and I had the speaker magnets re-shot twice to get the BLs up past 22.

These 2241Hs were used in a church, appear as new, and were not reconed, and if they were, it would mean that someone crossed the tinsels, hardly likely. Again, a compass doesn't lie and both magnets are different.

BTW, Speaker Repair Pros (formally Orange County Speaker) said that they can re-shoot the magnet and correct the polarity for their standard $35 fee.

Isn't a 136A a 2235?

Quote Originally Posted by gasfan View Post
    Isn't a 136A a 2235?
    Similar, but not quite the same. A 136A is more highly sought after as they went into the L300s.

Isn't a 136A a 2235?
    About 35 years in between!
    more reading required here LOL!

About 35 years in between!
    more reading required here LOL!
    What I've read is 2235 kits are used to recone 136A

What I've read is 2235 kits are used to recone 136A

Yes, but it is not an exact match.

Yes, but it is not an exact match.
    Better, detrimental, or just different? Requiring xo adjustment?

I'm learning here.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Something tells me when you blast a new motor to charge it that if it flips it’s that way for life.
    Sorry, I don't get it why this should happen if the external magnetic field surge is applied the right way .

Best regards!

An AlNiCo 2205 reconed as a 2235 qualifies as an AlNiCo 2235, and I know the differences all too well. Grumpy and I even checked the T/S parameters using WT-2 and they were the same as the 2235, and I had the speaker magnets re-shot twice to get the BLs up past 22.

These 2241Hs were used in a church, appear as new, and were not reconed, and if they were, it would mean that someone crossed the tinsels, hardly likely. Again, a compass doesn't lie and both magnets are different.

BTW, Speaker Repair Pros (formally Orange County Speaker) said that they can re-shoot the magnet and correct the polarity for their standard $35 fee.
    Todd,

I'd tread carefully here and do some due-diligence home-work on magnets.

Some years back a bit of very interesting info surfaced ( over at the Altec Hostboard Forum ) that when charging magnets ( using the typical capacitor discharge type of charger ) ferrite magnets are charged when the machine is used in an opposite zapper-setting when compared to charging alnico magnets.

How this matters is if the technician forgets to change the setting for the type of magnet being charged, one will get ( as Todd & Barry have discovered ) a magnet with flipped poles.

Personally Todd, I would leave your 2241 as is, since additional info came to light within that thread that flipping the polarity back to standard wasn't easy or a sure fire thing ( in fact, in the case of this particular Altec woofer it wasn't able to be restored to 100% charge < no matter how many times it was zapped > and the woofer eventually needed a completely new alnico magnet installed ).

Apparently, once a magnet is made a south-paw it resists being forced back into the right-handed world.

Better, detrimental, or just different? Requiring xo adjustment?

I'm learning here.

Different T/S parameters.

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Thi...Parameters.pdf

Thread Information