Thread: Which oil for walnut oiled finishes?

Which oil for walnut oiled finishes?

Which oil should i use for jbl 4312mk2 oiled walnut finish?

one cabinet is very slightly faded on top.
    will reoiling take care of tnat?

thanks.

I've always used Watco danish oil with success, however you need a lot of coats to make anything look good. I just tried Osmo Polyx and I think I like it better. Only time will tell.

I have been using the JBL instruction sheet and the result are stunning
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Watco is good for refinishing beat up cabs, but if you want to maintain the original finish, the info turnitdown posted is valid.

Watco has polymers in it that will harden in the wood fibers. They won't take oil well after that.

I did the Linseed/Turpentine treatment once. I will never open a can of turpentine again. I still get headaches just thinking about it.

The Danish Oil and Tung Oil are more or less the same type urethane treatments, which come in a variety of finishes ranging from flat to gloss. If you don't have a lot of veneer damage, just a light sanding and polish first. You can use 4-0 steel wool to apply.

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    I did the Linseed/Turpentine treatment once. I will never open a can of turpentine again. I still get headaches just thinking about it.

The Danish Oil and Tung Oil are more or less the same type urethane treatments, which come in a variety of finishes ranging from flat to gloss. If you don't have a lot of veneer damage, just a light sanding and polish first. You can use 4-0 steel wool to apply.
    Don't use steel wool in coastal climes...

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    The Danish Oil and Tung Oil are more or less the same type urethane treatments
    What ???

tung oil or China wood oil is a drying oil obtained by pressing the seed from the nut of the tung tree (Vernicia fordii). Tung oil hardens upon exposure to air, and the resulting coating is transparent and has a deep, almost wet look. Used mostly for finishing / protecting wood, after numerous coats the finish can even look plastic-like. Related drying oils include linseed, safflower, poppy and soybean oils.[1] The oil and its use are believed to have originated in ancient China and appear in the writings of Confucius from about 400 B.C. Raw tung oil tends to dry to a fine wrinkled finish; the US name for this is gas checking: this property was used to make wrinkle finishes, usually by adding excess cobalt drier. To stop this, the oil is heated to gas-proof it, and most oils used for coating are gas-proofed, also known as "boiled".

The name is often used by paint and varnish manufacturers as a generic name for any wood finishing product that contains the real tung oil and/or provides a finish that resembles the finish obtained with tung oil.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tung_oil

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Urethane may refer to: Ethyl carbamate, a chemical compound which is an ester of carbamic acid. Polyurethane, a polymer composed of a chain of organic units joined by carbamate (urethane) links. Carbamate, an organic compound derived from carbamic acid.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Tung Oil

I use Tung Oil , it really makes the grain pop on high quality veneers like rose wood and Walnut and then Matt Osmo ...... I use Osmo on everything now .... not cheap though .

Rich

Thread Information