Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New JBL 4367's coming!! Bi wire?

Brains trust- is the veneer on these imitation or real timber?

Its real veneer with a "fully locked" satin finish, you can't see the texture of the grain no matter what angle you view the finish on. Like Sonus Faber's but not 100% gloss.

Basing this on my previous S3900's I owned.

Quote Originally Posted by kelossus View Post
    Its real veneer with a "fully locked" satin finish, you can't see the texture of the grain no matter what angle you view the finish on. Like Sonus Faber's but not 100% gloss.

Basing this on my previous S3900's I owned.
    Thanks Chris, should have just PMD you, in hindsight. 😁

It’s a case by case thing and if you are a tweaked.

It depends if the original design would benifit from Biamping?

That is a question for the original design engineer.

Unfortunately without technically valid insights changes to the operational mode can make it different but not necessarily better. Like change crossover parts, attempting to Biamp.

My suggestion is listen to them for a while and have an open mind to setting up the system in terms of enclosure including height off the floor location.

An A class system can evolve into an AAA+ system with careful attention to setup which is not a 5 minute exercise.
    Set up REW 5 is the next step and get acquainted with that as a tool to further refine the system setup.

The Parasound is a solid amp but it might be worth auditioning other amps to find the sweet spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    It’s a case by case thing and if you are a tweaked.

It depends if the original design would benifit from Biamping?

That is a question for the original design engineer.

Unfortunately without technically valid insights changes to the operational mode can make it different but not necessarily better. Like change crossover parts, attempting to Biamp.

My suggestion is listen to them for a while and have an open mind to setting up the system in terms of enclosure including height off the floor location.

An A class system can evolve into an AAA+ system with careful attention to setup which is not a 5 minute exercise.
    Set up REW 5 is the next step and get acquainted with that as a tool to further refine the system setup.

The Parasound is a solid amp but it might be worth auditioning other amps to find the sweet spot.
    Ian, thank you and yes, am familiar with pedantic speaker positioning, it can bring huge benefits, think the 'Get Better Sound' book advice on speaker/listening possie/room measurements to the mm.

Amps, nup, am getting off the merry go round after this, haha.

Cool.

What l was alluding to was a demonstration where a pair of 4333 style were placed on supports the height of milk crates. While some room correction had been applied they were quite impressive in a large room.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Cool.

What l was alluding to was a demonstration where a pair of 4333 style were placed on supports the height of milk crates. While some room correction had been applied they were quite impressive in a large room.
    Am currently making some timber plinths @ 150mm high to bring the centre of the horn to ear level and we'll just play around with heights, toe in etc from there.

So, forgive me, long time since I visited.

I have gone back to one pair of Lebehan Foilflex speaker cables, the sound is nicer if I use the supplied shorting wires between the terminals, hooking the red to the bass and the black to the mid/upper terminals. Nice. Next experiment is to try some Aurealis cables and maybe even some valve monos...thanks again all.

JBL is using reconstituted veneer on these models, which is a man-made wood product. The product looks better than plastic/vinyl veneer products but not as nice as real veneer.

So, guess what, the speakers sounded better with the Lenehan Foilteck hooked up as one pair and the shorting cables re-introduced. Smoothed out the treble nicely, sold one pair if Foil flex, thank you $$

Quote Originally Posted by ngccglp View Post
    My experience with passive biamping my M9500 with the ATC P1/P2 are exactly opposite. Everything becomes clearer, more relaxed, you could follow and hear bass details effortlessly.
    Because that's what you were either expecting or thinking. With bi- wiring, if a distorted signal is going through one set of cables, the SAME THING is going through the other set going to the same speakerbox. Distortion comes from the AMPLIFIER, *NOT* the cabling (unless said cabling is too small a gauge or damaged)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    You can always stick a pair of lamp cord or other speaker wires in parallel with your original speaker wire and see if that makes a difference. Even if it makes a measurable difference, I doubt it'll be audible.

Now I can't say the same about the psycho-acoustic effects of cash transfer. It tends to be quite audible with a greater positive effect as the cash transfer increases.

Widget
    Beat me to it.

Thread Information