Thread: "Re-modelling" of JBL LSR308's

"Re-modelling" of JBL LSR308's

I don't know if this is a DIY topic or not, but here it goes.

I'm searching for surround speakers in my theater and have a limited depth of roughly 6 inches as they must be hidden behind fabrics.

I got this crazy idea to get a LSR and make my own enclosure thus making it much more shallow but taller and wider as a closed box. I know this will affect bass, but I will high.pass at 80hz anyway. Of course it requires that I can re-use the front as the waveguide is part of this.

Is this something that has been done or thought of? They are not very expensive so I am thinking of buying one and trying it out - but if I can have some experiences or inputs before, it would be good.

Are you planning on keeping the amplifiers in them and running them active?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Yes, that was the thought.

Any reason you're looking at the 308 instead of the 305? I haven't heard either, but having the same thoughts of using one of these for rear surrounds got me to reading about them. Apprently, the 308 has better bass, but the 305 woofer-tweeter integration is better. IOW, there's an audible gap between the woofer-tweeter in the 308...so I've read, for whatever that is worth.

Resizing, or reshaping, the cabinet is theoretically fine. Going smaller yields to less bass and potentially an uneven response. Keeping internal volume equal, but in a different shape within limits, shouldn't effect performance. Your biggest problem is going to be the amplifer/vent board, you might have to make your new cabinets and mount the amplifier board externally.

If I was set on doing this, I'd remove the the amplifier/rear panel, cut the cabinet to the desired depth and make a new rear/blank panel. Add a 4 pole speakon, most likely to the bottom or side, and make an enclosure for the amplifer so it can be used external of the speaker. Use a 4 pole speakon on that as well and just 4 conductor wire between amp/speaker.

Forget LSR308,CONTROL 1 or CONTROL 1 PRO is a very good chiose
    46 lover

Quote Originally Posted by martin_wu99 View Post
    Forget LSR308,CONTROL 1 or CONTROL 1 PRO is a very good chiose
    I am actually using 8 JBL Control1 Pro for surrounds and Atmos speakers at the moment while deciding what to get. They can't quite keep up with the M2s but they are actually surprisingly good for surround duties if bass managed at ~110hz. I expected mediocre performance but I am not in a hurry to upgrade to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas_h View Post
    I am actually using 8 JBL Control1 Pro for surrounds and Atmos speakers at the moment while deciding what to get. They can't quite keep up with the M2s but they are actually surprisingly good for surround duties if bass managed at ~110hz. I expected mediocre performance but I am not in a hurry to upgrade to be honest.
    Great!but if your hearing is very good or you have top request on HT system, 7 channel speakers are all same is a must,that is to say you should have 7 M2 speakers , at least same 7 mids and tweeters as you have space limit,you have not so much choise.
    Besides,i think even LSR308s don't so match your M2
    46 lover

Thread Information